Words of wisdom

I am going to try very hard not to sound like I'm whining, but I'm very frustrated. I was banded at the end of July and so far have lost 20 pounds. I've had 3 fills, none of which have given me the restriction I was hoping for. I am just wanting to know if this is normal. I'm getting to the point that I feel I paid 10K to lose 20 lbs. I've changed my eating habits and walk every other day. Anyone have any advice? Thanks

Don’t be frustrated, I’ve been banded for just over a year and have lost slightly over 90 pounds as well. I’ve had 7 fills, its difficult to reach the sweet spot. Some times you loss 10 pounds between fills, sometimes just a few and sometimes none. But let me tell you, its worth it. On of my managers at work just posted a picture of me that was taken just before my surgery, and someone asked me who that was – I had to explain that it was me. A different me – not only has my body changed, but my attitude, I’m more confidant, positive, I dress differently and I’ve moved up professionally since my weight loss transition.

I can’t imagine how much I’d weigh this year if I didn’t have the surgery and what type of person I would be, I've changed, not only in how I look, but my overall mental state. I was a size 22 in Oct of 2006, I was a size 12 last week, but just had an extended tummy tuck with lippo, my Doctor thinks I will be 2 – 3 sizes smaller once the swelling goes down. I can’t imagine what that will be like!

Good luck with your journey! Make it a fun one!

Im happy for you. I still have alot of weight to lose though and not going anywhere. I went for a fill and the new "dr" at OCC wouldn't do it. In fact he removed some of my saline. Now I can eat and eat. I'm really unhappy with them at the moment and discouraged. I hope the people who are considering this surgery will consider all the outcomes and not only the good ones. Nita

Im happy for you. I still have alot of weight to lose though and not going anywhere. I went for a fill and the new "dr" at OCC wouldn't do it. In fact he removed some of my saline. Now I can eat and eat. I'm really unhappy with them at the moment and discouraged. I hope the people who are considering this surgery will consider all the outcomes and not only the good ones. Nita

Why would he not do the fill? Did they bring in a Dr. that would do the fill?

I had that problem with Dr. Acosta a couple of fills ago. He said that my stoma would be occluded (closed off) if he put any more saline in. Well, I challenged him, we tested it by me eating a couple of pieces of toast, and then Dr. Romero took over. Not only did the toast not get stuck, it actually had passed through into the full stomach within 15 minutes. He then added some fill for me.

For the exact reason you just stated. He insisted my band was too tight. I tried to explain that it is always tight in the morning but by evening I can eat anything. He insisted that I have been vomiting (not true) He had the needle in my stomach, so what could I do? He removed .6cc, leaving me feeling wide open. He told me to be on a DIET. Okay if I could do this I could have saved 10k right? I think I won't go back there again. I also think that in Mexico they use the term Doctor loosely. I don't believe half of those people attended a medical school. I love Dr. Romero and won't go back unless he will do my fill. Now I have to just struggle not to gain weight and feel lucky to weigh 255 after more than a year with the band. I'm sorry to sound so pesimistic but I am truely upset at this turn of events, and I can't afford to fly back and forth to prove to a fool that my band needs a fill. Good Luck to all..Nita

For the exact reason you just stated. He insisted my band was too tight. I tried to explain that it is always tight in the morning but by evening I can eat anything. He insisted that I have been vomiting (not true) He had the needle in my stomach, so what could I do? He removed .6cc, leaving me feeling wide open. He told me to be on a DIET. Okay if I could do this I could have saved 10k right? I think I won't go back there again. I also think that in Mexico they use the term Doctor loosely. I don't believe half of those people attended a medical school. I love Dr. Romero and won't go back unless he will do my fill. Now I have to just struggle not to gain weight and feel lucky to weigh 255 after more than a year with the band. I'm sorry to sound so pesimistic but I am truely upset at this turn of events, and I can't afford to fly back and forth to prove to a fool that my band needs a fill. Good Luck to all..Nita

I am pretty much in agreement about Dr. Acosta. During my negative experience with him, he implied that I must be eating lots of cream soups, ice cream, milk shakes, and sweets. I do have a clam chowder perhaps every 8 weeks or so, occasionally have a no sugar added 'Slim-a-Bear' item (I am diabetic), and my last milk shake was about 3 years ago. Sweets? My blood sugars are under better control in the last year than ever. And, his closing remarks were that I needed to take further steps to lose weight. The band would not do it for me.

Now, I still have no regrets, as I am thinner and healthier than a year ago, I do eat less, and I do get some restriction. However, my original expectations have changed.

I advised Dr. Romero that Dr. Acosta was too inexperienced to be doing VG band fills, to which he responded "I know." I do not question the medical qualifications of doctors in Mexico. I do think that OCC needs to give Dr. Acosta some more training with Dr. Romero. I hope they take notice of this. It is an issue for us.

I'm with you all the way Greg. I do not regret for one minute my decision to be banded. I am also diabetic, and will be off of all of my meds next week. I know that without the band nothing would have changed. I am however, disappointed with the speed of my weight loss, and very dissappointed with spending about $700.00 for hotel, flight, etc. only to have my band loosened. I am hanging in, and not gaining any weight, which is a good thing. After the first of the year I will go to Salt Lake City for a fill, I guess I am done with OCC because of Dr. Acousta. (by the way, what is he? Like 12?) We will see. Good Luck Greg. Nita