Furious with My Band

I do not understand this band at all :angry: !!! I was banded 9-25-07 and got my first fill of 1.9cc on 11-8-07. I had lost 24 lbs before my first fill, and now I have gained 6 lbs since my fill. Every once in a while I will have restriction that I can hardly eat anything, and will PB after just a few bites, but most days I can pretty much eat whatever I want and it goes down just fine. I WANT TO LOSE...that was the whole point of having this thing put in. Worst of all, I am finding myself going back to my old ways. I still have not had any cokes, but on the weekends I will drink beer. I know that one is a no-no, but I am seriously getting very frustrated with this band, and not only myself. I want restrition and I want to lose. Am I asking too much?????

Sorry, I guess I was not through ranting...I don't understand how these other people are losing so much like crazy, and I am just gaining and at a stand still. I want to be proud of myself, and not reverting back to being embarrassed just to walk out the door.

Keep a food journal and count every calorie. You may be surprised where they are coming from. Stop drinking the beers, alcohol will ruin your metabolism and most drinks are filled with sugar. If you have no restriction most of the time then it it time for another fill or they did not fill you enough last time. Do you find you are eating the same foods when you PB? Chew Chew Chew and avoid foods that give you problems.

You have to be willing to do the work and make the necessary lifestyle changes or the band isn't going to help things. It isn't magic.

I just got a fill three weeks ago, and when he filled it I asked him to be a little aggressive with it. I never really had much restriction with it. I just assumed that after a day or so the restriction would come. Do you think that I need another one already? I had better restriction a month after the surgery than I do now. When I PB it comes from different foods. I have noticed that usually it is when I have bread, but at Thanksgiving it was ham and turkey that were killers. I had to definately chew chew chew.

We go out on the weekends alot, do you have any suggestions as to any alcoholic beverages that won't throw me off my diet so bad. Would wine be any better, or a beer like Michelob Ultra that doesn't have so many carbs. I love my Bud Light, but if I can lose weight without it, so be it. Thanks for the comments and keep them coming.

Some foods just cause me problems, like bread or pasta. Other times I just PB because I didn't chew enough. You're still new to it but as time goes on you'll learn to chew without thinking about it and become more sensitive to when foods are having trouble moving through so you can stop or slow down before you have to PB.

The biggest epiphany I had with the band is that counting the number of fills and the time between fills was holding me back from getting the restriction I needed. I waited way too long before getting my fourth fill because I kept thinking that people with my sized band don't get more than three fills and therefore that's not possibly what the problem was. If you need a fill you need a fill and that is that.

I don't drink so I can't really suggest anything that would not cause problems. Just watch out for sugar and high fructose corn syrup and try to make it an ever once and awhile thing.

Clynn, thank you for taking the time to come on here and help answer peoples questions. I have noticed that you comment on alot of different topics, and it helps when people are willing to take the time to help others...thank you.

My question to you would be, do you think that after only three weeks it would be time to go ahead and try to schedule another fill, or should I wait for another two to three weeks? It has been three weeks today, and being so close to Christmas and all, I hate to spend another $350 if I can wait.

if you have little to no restriction, you need another fill regardless if it has been three weeks. The doc I am seeing does adjustments every month, if necessary. BUT... you go over your food journal and really make sure you are following the rules before doing an adjustment. If you aren't following the rules, an adjustment isn't going to make a difference.

As for the drinking when going out, water with lemon would be much better!! Alcohol is empty calories. You don't have to have the alcohol to enjoy the time out with friends.

Bread --- some people can never do it. I can't. I can do tortillas, but i have to chew them really good.

Meat --- i struggle with some meats and do fine with others. A dry meat like turkey or chicken doesn't go down for me.... Ketchup is my friend.

Eat your proteins first - 60 grams a day. Then eat your veggies. Make sure you don't drink with meals - wait 30 minutes after you eat to drink. SLOW DOWN when you eat. It takes a minute for your brain to register that you ate or even that you are full. NON-CALORIC beverages are your friend! Have as much as you want and make sure you stay hydrate.

I have hated my band before. (A few weeks ago to be exact.) I don't have the decision to be banded, I hate that it is fussy about getting to the sweet spot. I've had about 10 adjustments. I think I might be at the sweet spot now. There are still days that I feel like I can eat more than others. BUT... finishing the insides of a shredded chicken kids taco with cheese, lettuce and tomato is really not a lot and that is what I can do on a good day.

My guess would be you had better restriction after surgery because you were swollen and your body was adjusting to the band. In addition, you had post op instructions to follow. Just remember, you still have to follow the rules, even though your are completely healed from the surgery. Also, if you are not excercising, add that in. You'll be surprised what a difference that will make.

Hang in there.... you'll find the sweet spot. Just be patient and do your part, too. ><'

Thanks for the help everyone, I guess I am just stressing out because I want to be skinny NOW!!! I have felt the last two days almost no restriction at all. I am not really eating any less than I did before the surgery at this point now either. It is just frustating to have to keep worrying about everything I put in my mouth. My boyfriend had the band put in the same day I did, and he has all the restriction in the world. I guess I am just jealous of the progress he has made, and disappointed in the progress I have made.

If I got filled three weeks ago I might give it another week or two to make sure I was doing everything right and that my plateau was not due to to my cycle. No matter how good I am I don't loose weight that time of month.

You talking about your boyfriend is a familiar complaint. My parents both got banded at the same time and my father is having an easier time of it than my mom. Before their first fill it seemed he had no restriction and was loosing all sorts of weight while for her the weight was coming off slower. Just how men are I guess. The lesson is don't worry about comparing yourself to other people because the rules are different for everyone.

One final thought, there's a girl in my support group who gets a fill of .1 cc every month or two because that is what she's found works for her, so a month between fills is not unprecedented or going to do you any harm if that's what you need.

I do not understand this band at all :angry: !!! I was banded 9-25-07 and got my first fill of 1.9cc on 11-8-07. I had lost 24 lbs before my first fill, and now I have gained 6 lbs since my fill. Every once in a while I will have restriction that I can hardly eat anything, and will PB after just a few bites, but most days I can pretty much eat whatever I want and it goes down just fine. I WANT TO LOSE...that was the whole point of having this thing put in. Worst of all, I am finding myself going back to my old ways. I still have not had any cokes, but on the weekends I will drink beer. I know that one is a no-no, but I am seriously getting very frustrated with this band, and not only myself. I want restrition and I want to lose. Am I asking too much?????

><' Hi:

I get upset with my band, too. However, I noticed that I have to make sure I eat smaller portions and chew. One thing that finally helped, was writing down everything I eat. It brings everything back into prespective.

I lost 30 pounds right after surgery in 2005. Then not a whole lot happened. I have had 4 fills since since surgery. Each time I would lose a few pounds and gain a few. My frustration level was bad because I thought the Band was the cure.

This last July I took a stand against myself, since I am my own worst enemy. I started entering everything I ate and made a decision not to go over a certain amount of calories each day.

I am happy to report that I have lost a total of 34.5 pounds since mid July, or a total of 56 pounds since surgery. Since I felt better about myself, I slacked off and regained 5 pounds in a month. So now I am back on track.

So you can see, you must be ever watchful and take control. Take care, Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe some people can give up alcohol... but i am not one of them so i understand completely!! at first i tried the drinks like vodka and diet soda or something like that.. but the sugar is really what messes you up and it causes plateaus and messes up a weeks worth of being good..... however, if you are just a beer drinker you should be ok to have a couple... just remember to count those calories and bud light is 110 per bottle. stay with the lights and if you like bud select it has either 90 calories or 100 - i cant remember...try to go back and forth between the beer and water when you are out with friends. i do cut out all alcohol for two weeks at a time when i hit a plateau just to try and change things up a bit.

as for the food, i cant eat any dry meat all - i have switched to all dark meat for turkey and chicken - which helps since it is juicier. i rarely eat bread because its just too dry. last night i had a biscuit and ended up PB'ing and couldnt eat the rest of the night - thats just the way it goes sometimes.. i have noticed on the days that i have no restriction i can eat anything and way too much of everything but it never fails a day or two later i cant eat anything at all without PBing so that is why i have not gotten a fill in so long. some how it balances itself out..

I am on a strict 1200 calorie a day diet and i do exercise for one hour 5 to 7 days a week which seem to be the key... when i say strict diet - i guess not really because i dont worry about my alcohol intake on the weekends unless i start gaining or dont lose for a couple of weeks. i have been very cautious with my fills so i dont know what to tell you on that one.

it is a lifestyle change and even if the wt comes off very slowly ( i averaged 1 lb a week for the first year) it still is so much better than gaining that 10 or 20 lbs every year.

it will happen - hang in there.

Kim

What does PBing mean? This is my first time here but I can sure relate to what you are saying. Sometimes I can eat and eat and eat and other times, it feels awful after a few steps. !!!!

Hi There.

My surgery is scheduled for mid January and I am a bit anxious having read the postings. Is it really difficult to lose weight on the band? While I do not expect it to be an easy fix, I do expect results. Am I hearing that it doesn't work that effectively?

Hi There.

My surgery is scheduled for mid January and I am a bit anxious having read the postings. Is it really difficult to lose weight on the band? While I do not expect it to be an easy fix, I do expect results. Am I hearing that it doesn't work that effectively?

Keep in mind this is a support forum, so people tend to come here when they are having problems. That means you'll really hear one side of the story as people without problems tend not to post. Of course we're glad to hear from you and I personally will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

That being said, if you are willing to make the sacrifices, keep up with your fills, and do the work necessary then Lap-Band is one of, if not the, most effective way to loose 50 pounds or more of excess body fat.

the band is just a tool... you will still have to watch what you eat and diet and exercise... it is certainly not a magic pill.. having said that - i have gained and lost the same 100 lbs twice before and this is the first time that i am very confident that i wont gain the wt back. that is the main reason i got the band... to help me get there and then help me stay there. its the best investment i have ever made but it may not be for everyone...

kym

I didn't feel any restriction until my 4th fill and I know it isn't enough so I don't know what to do either. Since my surgery Aug. 24th I have only lost 7 lbs. It isn't what I expected.

Pamela

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe some people can give up alcohol... but i am not one of them so i understand completely!! at first i tried the drinks like vodka and diet soda or something like that.. but the sugar is really what messes you up and it causes plateaus and messes up a weeks worth of being good..... however, if you are just a beer drinker you should be ok to have a couple... just remember to count those calories and bud light is 110 per bottle. stay with the lights and if you like bud select it has either 90 calories or 100 - i cant remember...try to go back and forth between the beer and water when you are out with friends. i do cut out all alcohol for two weeks at a time when i hit a plateau just to try and change things up a bit.

as for the food, i cant eat any dry meat all - i have switched to all dark meat for turkey and chicken - which helps since it is juicier. i rarely eat bread because its just too dry. last night i had a biscuit and ended up PB'ing and couldnt eat the rest of the night - thats just the way it goes sometimes.. i have noticed on the days that i have no restriction i can eat anything and way too much of everything but it never fails a day or two later i cant eat anything at all without PBing so that is why i have not gotten a fill in so long. some how it balances itself out..

I am on a strict 1200 calorie a day diet and i do exercise for one hour 5 to 7 days a week which seem to be the key... when i say strict diet - i guess not really because i dont worry about my alcohol intake on the weekends unless i start gaining or dont lose for a couple of weeks. i have been very cautious with my fills so i dont know what to tell you on that one.

it is a lifestyle change and even if the wt comes off very slowly ( i averaged 1 lb a week for the first year) it still is so much better than gaining that 10 or 20 lbs every year.

it will happen - hang in there.

Kim

What is PBing??? I missed this lingo! I am going to get banded 2/18 and I am trying to learn everything I can before I go! I hope this is the answer of a lifetime of yo yo dieting!

Hi There.

I am wondering the same thing and i just paid my down payment for surgery 2/18! HELP!

I cannot tell your more than I told Lexi without a specific question. Keep in mind this is a support forum so people will post here mostly when they are having problems. Those without problems are out there living their lives.

You are so right Clynn. Usually the people on the site have problems and are venting about them. I personally had some restriction prblems after my 1st fill but it is good now. I had my second fill on 1/5/2008 and feel great. I feel that this is the best thing I ever did for myself even with the slight problems I've had. So far since my banding in June 2007, I have lost 56 pounds! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

I cannot tell your more than I told Lexi without a specific question. Keep in mind this is a support forum so people will post here mostly when they are having problems. Those without problems are out there living their lives.