Nervous Nelly

Hello everyone!

I'm extremely new to this and I'm having my surgery this Friday 2/1/08. I have to say I'm very nervous and I don't know what to expect when I arrive.

My husband tells me I'm fine the way I am but I'm 5'5" and weigh 256, sure I'm fine....He has just begun to put doubt in my head like what if it doesn't work for you like everyone else? What if something happens and Kaiser refuses to take care of you? So as you can see I am nervous because I maybe have researched and over researched the whole lap band and now since my surgery date is this Friday I'm freaking out!

Any comments or advise?

Any and all is appreciated

Hello everyone!

I'm extremely new to this and I'm having my surgery this Friday 2/1/08. I have to say I'm very nervous and I don't know what to expect when I arrive.

My husband tells me I'm fine the way I am but I'm 5'5" and weigh 256, sure I'm fine....He has just begun to put doubt in my head like what if it doesn't work for you like everyone else? What if something happens and Kaiser refuses to take care of you? So as you can see I am nervous because I maybe have researched and over researched the whole lap band and now since my surgery date is this Friday I'm freaking out!

Any comments or advise?

When you arrive they will pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel. You may have to get out and push the "pass" button (I think that's what on it) at the border but that's kinda fun ;) The drivers and the hotel workers are amazingly nice. The next morning you will be picked up and go to the clinic. If you're lucky, you'll ride with Mama Ortiz - she is a total sweetheart! They'll do all the tests at the clinic, hook you up to your IV and depending on where you are in the group, you'll probably be banded by noon :)

The then incredibly nice nurses care to your every need. MAKE SURE AND WALK AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!! You can watch satellite TV, read, do some more walking or sleep.

The next morning they take you back to the hotel where you'll stay that night, then they will take you back to San Diego depending on your flight the next day. SOMETIMES you have to walk yourself across the border but when I was banded whomever was working recognized it as a "medical van" and let us pass w/o having to walk. But the walk is no biggie.

I haven't read of ANYONE having trouble with their insurance covering major issues with a band. I recently had one (was vomiting, it's POSSIBLE the band was restricting my ability to vomit - not sure yet - and I ended up "killing" half my stomach and having emergency surgery to remove 1/2 my stomach and the band). However, if it's something like a port flip, you'll probably need to head back to TJ.

Honestly, I've had a lot of medical procedures and the lapband and the OCC was by far the best experience. If I can ever get another band, I will SO be there!

Best of luck!

Hi there1

I had my surgery on September 27, 2008. My starting weight was 322 and thanks to the pre surgery diet I got down to 305 for surgery day. As of today I weigh 273 lbs. The surgery went great, the hotel is lovely and so is the OCC center. All the doctors and staff are so wonderful and helpful. Just make sure to follow the rules and get plenty of water and rest. Good luck to you, it is all worth it.

Hello everyone!

Any comments or advise?

Hello i'm out here and i feel your pain this is the same thing i'm going thru surgery is schduled for 2/1/08 at 11am, My husband and what he thinks doesn't count somethings you have to do for yourself and what makes you feel good about yourself don't give and stay strong i'll throw up prayers for u too!!!Bandedatlass(a.k.a Gee-g)

Hello i'm out here and i feel your pain this is the same thing i'm going thru surgery is schduled for 2/1/08 at 11am, My husband and what he thinks doesn't count somethings you have to do for yourself and what makes you feel good about yourself don't give and stay strong i'll throw up prayers for u too!!!Bandedatlass(a.k.a Gee-g)

Hello everyone!

Any comments or advise?

Hi everyone,

I received my band on January 10th and to date I have lost 21 pounds. I feel a lot better and I am starting to exercise at the gym. Belive me this was the best decision that I ever made and the nurses and staff at OCC are absolutely wonderful!!!! It was the best experience and the nurses are soooo sweet and caring. You will have a great experience so don't worry too much. You made the right decision :). =D>

Cindy

Hello everyone!

Any comments or advise?

Hello everyone!

Any comments or advise?

Hi there. I am fairly new to the Lap Band family. I was banded on November 21, 2007. On the day of my surgery I was 285. Now, less than 3 months later, I weigh 236. Admittedly, I was pretty nervous prior to surgery. However, my physicians and nurses made me feel so comfortable that I relaxed as soon as I checked into the hospital that morning. Everything went so smoothly. The surgery itself was a cinch. No problems whatsoever. I had my first fill of 1.5 cc on Jan. 7,2008. I lost 14 pounds in the last month alone and was never hungry for even a second. That is miraculous to me.

By now, I assume that you have had your surgery and I hope that all is going just as well for you. I would like to know your progress and how you are feeling. Keep in touch! :-h

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I read your response and I noticed today you will be banded! I have to say now that I've had the band placed and experienced the surgery and actually placed names to faces I am so thrilled I had the surgery and my husband is telling me "keep up the good work" I'm so happy. I was 250 went I had surgery and now I'm 236 and it's only been 29 days. I am eating, but I am so careful as to what I put in my body now. I feel the time that I was on the clear liquids it was cleansing my body and now I don't want to put anything too fatty in my body anymore. I pray you had as wonderful experience as I did and actually my husband also at the dentist. Please keep me posted and let me know how you are doing.

God Bless You! =D>

Hi there!

I'm back online. After surgery I caught the flu, probably from flying so much. Well I went in treating like a Queen, everyone talks about Dr. Ortiz and how wonderful he is and I guess he is, they say I was talking with him after surgery, I don't remember. But I want to say how wonderful Dr. Martinez is, he came in my room and explained the the entire procedure and asked me if I had any questions and just really spent alot of time with me to help me not be so nervous. Dr. Martinez is wonderful! I became sick and Dr. Martinez stayed in daily contact with me for a few days to see how I was doing and he recommended I do a few things, that really helped my recovery from the flu and surgery. It wasn't a pleasant recovery because the flu was with a horrible cough, but Dr. Martinez in a sense held my hand and walked me through it. When I went in for surgery I weighed 250 and now 29 days later I weigh 236. I wish the weight would come off faster, but I so much for wishful thinking. I'm questioning now when I should go in for a fill. did you go back to OCC for your fill. What about the fill, did it hurt much? I'm so nervous about needles.

Well keep me posted how you are and hopefully I'll hear from you soon!

Take care.....

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone!

Any comments or advise?

So now that your not new, How was it? I'm new schedualed for March 21st. so tell all!!

• 2 weeks later...
So now that your not new, How was it? I'm new scheduled for March 21st. so tell all!!

I am so sorry! I wanted to get back to you but I lost my password to sign on and then it wasn't working? But, I'm back....you are going to have an amazing experience.....The staff are the most caring professionals and they all have the gentle touch. I didn't meet Dr. Ortiz, my goodness as much as I read and hear how handsome he his, maybe it was better. (I told Lori before that it was surprised when I saw him because he is the identical twin to my X husband). I remember speaking with Dr. Martinez, I have to say I was very pleased by his bedside manner and his knowledge. I'm sure by now you've met Dr. Jiminez and Dr. Miranda, they were both wonderful!

How are you feeling now? If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to help you with your new journey and I'm sure you'll be able to help me too! Please let me know if I can help you in any way. Now is the time we do need the support of other people that might have started the journey a little bit before us!

Take care and I'll talk with you soon

Joelle =D>