Solid Foods

mistyband

I just got my band on Feb.5...I'm up to creamy soups and potatoes...when can you comfortably eat solids without hurting your band?? I'm so scared Im going to do something to hurt my band or cause it to move....Any advice! thanks Misty

What did your doctor tell you? They should have sent paperwork home with you that gives you a timeline for food.

Yea, I have my timeline...what I meant is "is it uncomfortable eating solid foods at first.....if so when does it get better?"

Ahhhh, I see now. I started solids off with easy things to chew and digest. My first solid food was a piece of salmon just after midnight on the first day I could move back to solids. Take it slow and easy and see what you're comfortable with. Be aware of what's going on with your body as you're eating and you'll learn what your limits are. I didn't have any problems with solid foods until about a week into it when I tried to eat a potsticker. That's when I learned pasta was a no-no.

Ahhhh, I see now. I started solids off with easy things to chew and digest. My first solid food was a piece of salmon just after midnight on the first day I could move back to solids. Take it slow and easy and see what you're comfortable with. Be aware of what's going on with your body as you're eating and you'll learn what your limits are. I didn't have any problems with solid foods until about a week into it when I tried to eat a potsticker. That's when I learned pasta was a no-no.

Oh okay....so I want never enjoy spaghetti again?? thats okay, the suffer is worth it in the long run...Thank you for replying.....This is really nice to have this forum, the doctor that did my band is over 400 miles from my home and so I don't get to attend his support groups and they don't offer it online like this...so thanks again....Misty

• 4 weeks later...

I have been eating solids since 5 days after my banding. I have no problems eating solids, but am I hurting myself? I don't eat as much as I used to.

Different doctors have different post-op guidelines... Dr. Ortiz has us on liquids for 3 weeks before starting mushie foods since the band is anchored/sewn internally to your stomach there is a risk of having it slip if unproperly chewed food is passed through it before it has totally healed. More than a few bandsters have confessed to eating early or not sticking to these guidelines with no negative consequences.

So do what you feel is best for you and your band!

MamaMichelle,

I hate to contradict you as you are an incredible asset to this forum but Dr Ortiz's guidelines says in bold letters "NO MUSHY FOODS ALLOWED"

Anyway...I'm banking on chewing something in 7 days or it will be my arm!

SJ

I agree with jetdeck, follow the post-op guidelines to the letter. When you have food pass through your stomach it is moving to process it which could cause a slip or irritation which will lead to swelling. When you stray from the post-op diet you're throwing the dice. It may not come up snake-eyes everytime but why take the gamble? You've put how much money and effort into this so far and you're willing to chance throwing it away this early? The fact that you're willing to take that chance does not bode well for you living with the band long term.

I also remember Dr Miranda saying that the reason they do not allow mushies is because it creates bad habits and that the stomach is meant for solid food. By the end of three weeks of liquids it has healed enough to go for it! Can you tell I'm ready!!!!

I thought its one week of clear liquids ... 2nd week of soups and creamy liquids and on the 3rd week your on solids???

or is everyone different?

Dr Ortiz's rules say soups and creamy liquids for the second and third weeks, then onto solids.

Hi Misty- I was banded over 3 years ago and only did liquids the first week, then soft foods llike yogurt, soup, mashed potatoes, fruit in baby food form, that kind of stuff. Almost everyone I've talked to, including doctors, have told me you don't have any restriction after the surgery until your first fill, only swelling. Your initial weight loss is due to a restrictive diet, not the band. Follow the doctors orders and you won't have any problems, but most veteran bandsters ate sooner then the doctor recomemded. Good luck!!! ><' Helena

Thanks to all of you for the information. I had called my nutritionist today and asked him about eating solids too early and he said that it could cause obstruction and told me that I really need to follow the guidelines.