Any teens or parents of teens have questions?

Cassie

Hey guys,

I'm comming up on year 4 of being banded on March 17th.

Im so excited, its feels like my second birthday I get every year!

But I realized there are alot of teens on the site and I was wondering if you would like your questions answerd by another teen?

feel free to ask

Thanks guys

Cassie

><'

Hey my Hey my name is Andrea. I just turned 18 at the end of January and my surgery date is April 7th, spring break. Since hearing about the surgery on Opera and discovering it was an option finacially, my attitude has been so much better. Before with diets i always saw failure in the end and now i feel really confident. I'm finally going to be liberated from my caccoon i have formed from being overweight. So i am excited about that, but at the same time soooo nervous! I dont want any complications that could postpone my banding or weight-loss. But i do have a question for you Cassie, how much weight did you lose, if any, one month after your surgery? and then the second month? And how long after surgery do you think i will be able to start jogging again? Thanks for being a support

hi cassie

i was banded in september and before i was, i did a bunch of research and always found you in forums and stuff. even though i never directly asked you a question, reading your answers was great help to me!

anywayss

sadly i missed the oprah show :[ me and my mom really wanted to watch it!

any ideas on when it will be rerunning again?

Hey Andrea,

sorry it took forever for me to reply!

now to answer your question,

the first month I lost about 35 lbs, 15 of that was in the first week!

the second month I slowed down probly 10 lbs, and once that happends thats when its time for a fill

after that I continued to lose all the weight I needed

and here I am today!

and about jogging and stuff, I walked an hour after surgury all around the hospital, and the next day I walked all over mexico shopping, so jogging i would say maybe two weeks after your surgury to be safe, double check with the Drs to be sure

Thanks

good luck

Cassie

Hey my Hey my name is Andrea. I just turned 18 at the end of January and my surgery date is April 7th, spring break. Since hearing about the surgery on Opera and discovering it was an option finacially, my attitude has been so much better. Before with diets i always saw failure in the end and now i feel really confident. I'm finally going to be liberated from my caccoon i have formed from being overweight. So i am excited about that, but at the same time soooo nervous! I dont want any complications that could postpone my banding or weight-loss. But i do have a question for you Cassie, how much weight did you lose, if any, one month after your surgery? and then the second month? And how long after surgery do you think i will be able to start jogging again? Thanks for being a support

LOL

well thank you

and I am glad I helped you out!

I dunno about reruns

I dont think there will be any

hi cassie

i was banded in september and before i was, i did a bunch of research and always found you in forums and stuff. even though i never directly asked you a question, reading your answers was great help to me!

anywayss

sadly i missed the oprah show :[ me and my mom really wanted to watch it!

any ideas on when it will be rerunning again?

Hey Andrea,

sorry it took forever for me to reply!

now to answer your question,

the first month I lost about 35 lbs, 15 of that was in the first week!

the second month I slowed down probly 10 lbs, and once that happends thats when its time for a fill

after that I continued to lose all the weight I needed

and here I am today!

and about jogging and stuff, I walked an hour after surgury all around the hospital, and the next day I walked all over mexico shopping, so jogging i would say maybe two weeks after your surgury to be safe, double check with the Drs to be sure

Thanks

good luck

Cassie

Wow! That's amazing. I'm a senior in high school and we have a small class of 21 students so we are going to san diego for our senior trip at the end of may. I would love to loose 20-30 pounds before the trip. My surgery is April 7th, i think i might have said that already. I thought i would loose 15 pounds in the first month, but now, maybe more! Everyone is probably a little different. Thanks

heyy cassie.

my name is hannah i am 17 years old and im about to get the surgery. i am awfully excited.

but i have a couple questions.

i was wondering if it is very hard to follow the diet after surgery??

and also i am young and i drink on occasion, do you know if drinking will be okay after the surgery??

heyy cassie.

my name is hannah i am 17 years old and im about to get the surgery. i am awfully excited.

and also i am young and i drink on occasion, do you know if drinking will be okay after the surgery??

Hey Hannah. My name is Mark and I am 20 years old. I had my banding done on March 4. I was fine with the diet until March 10 (5 days after surgery) and finally couldn't do it anymore. I was stupid by trying some chicken, but fortunately I was ok with it. I only threw up once but that was because I didn't chew my dinner properly. If you have plenty of self-discipline, then the diet should be good for you. And now the answer to your drinking question. My paperwork that I received from the nutritionists says, "NO alcohol during the weight loss period following surgery. This can be up to 1 1/2 years after surgery."

Mark

Who is your band doctor?

I live in Texas and I had mine done in Austin by Dr. Sherrod. he is a great doctor.

the surgury diet wasnt hard for me but I know it varies from person to person, just take you time and chew chew chew!

and about the drinking thing, I dont recommend you drink at all since your not of age yet, I dunno what to tell you about that since im 17 too and I dont drink.

I just dont feel comfortable answering that question because we are young.

heyy cassie.

Congrats on the 4 yr mark! =D>

I am Lauren. I am 17 and my family and I are looking into getting me a lapband soon. So naturally I am excited and I have some concerns and questions.

how often do most people need to get a fill? what is getting a fill like?

were you ever worried about having a problem with loose skin after loosing weight? and did you have a problem with loose skin due to rapid weight loss?

did you ever feel imbarrassed with chosing the labband?

I personally feel alittle imbarrassed that I am deciding to get the lapband because it feels like the "easy" way out even though i have battled with my weight the majority of my life and it is the best option for be because of family health problems. Is this a normal feeling?

also what is the pre-op diet and how long is it before banding. we are looking at april 18th and that is only 4 weeks away, would that be a problem?

Congrats on the 4 yr mark! =D>

I am Lauren. I am 17 and my family and I are looking into getting me a lapband soon. So naturally I am excited and I have some concerns and questions.

how often do most people need to get a fill? what is getting a fill like?

were you ever worried about having a problem with loose skin after loosing weight? and did you have a problem with loose skin due to rapid weight loss?

did you ever feel imbarrassed with chosing the labband?

I personally feel alittle imbarrassed that I am deciding to get the lapband because it feels like the "easy" way out even though i have battled with my weight the majority of my life and it is the best option for be because of family health problems. Is this a normal feeling?

Hey Lauren!

ok lets start off with question number 1,

normally people should get there band tightend about 3 times , but everyone is diffrent and that isnt always the case, I had to go in a couple times because I got the bad case of the flu a year and a half into surgury causing me to have to unfill the band because i was sooo sick and couldnt get anything down, but as soon as i got better I got it refilled. you just have to wait till you find your sweet spot.

fills in mexico are done very well and all they do is incert a needle into your port threw your stomach (its not bad at all you can barely feel it).

at my point when i was 13 i wasnt really worried about loose skin i just wanted to be skinny, but fortunatly i nipped it in the butt because i really do not have loose skin at all, i think the younger you are your body snaps back faster.

At first i was imbarrassed when i told my friends and stuff, but then i just learned to embrace it.

and trust me its not the easy way out atall, the lap band is just a tool to use that actually works. but your still doing it by yourself

you got to know this is going to be a lifestyle,

you eat to live, NOT live to eat.

i can see why you would feel that way, but girl its a beautiful thing!

that helps alot ,

i will mostl likely have more questions before im banded but for now thats really all i have questions on.

thank you cassie :)

lauren

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys,

I'm comming up on year 4 of being banded on March 17th.

Im so excited, its feels like my second birthday I get every year!

But I realized there are alot of teens on the site and I was wondering if you would like your questions answerd by another teen?

feel free to ask

Thanks guys

Cassie

><'

hey im karmin im 18 and i just had the band 4/9. im so hungry.my problem now. what would happen if i cheated?

hey im karmin im 18 and i just had the band 4/9. im so hungry.my problem now. what would happen if i cheated?

Karmin, don't risk it!! You have come to far to mess things up now. You never know what would happen if you cheated. Your band could slip, you could obstruct....who knows. Always fear the worse. Just make it through today - you can add creamy soups tomorrow (no chunks) and I promise you will feel much better. Just drink, drink, drink. If your stomach is full of fluids you won't be hungry. We all know how you feel. Those of us that are already banded have been through what you are going through. Good luck and keep us posted. :lb11:

Its official! Im getting banded on May 9th! I am soo excited but I am really nervous about the after surgery diet and about loosing 10lb before surgery. When i had a phone conference with the Doc i was at 226lb and then easter came and i gained weight. I was supposed to loose 10 from 226 and since i basicly started at 232 idk if i can make it to 216. I have never been good with diets. But I have been drinking slim fast 2 times a day for about two weeks and eating a dinner and my scale shows that im down to where i started; 226. So NOW i have to loose 10lb. I feel like I havnt done ne thing. Like im discurraged and dont feel like the diet is working... even tho the scale shows it has been.

I also wanted to know wat some good snack foods are. Im a big snacker and so i want some kinda HEALTHY snack food. That way i feel like im ok on the diet and not depriving myself of what i want.

And what are some snacks that i can have after surgry? I no i cant eat solids for like 3 weeks so i want to find ok things that i can take with me to snack on while im at school, cause drinking a slim fast in a highschool enviroment is alil hard or imbarassing if you no wat i mean.

Finally, my boyfriend's senior prom is on May 31st and i get banded on May 9th. Prom is barly 4 weeks from surgry. Did any one have problems with eating for the first time after the surgry cause i know we are goin to go out for dinner and i might play it safe with a soup if we do but prom is like the first day i can ACTUALLY eat food so i want to know if ne one has suggestions on food choices. My mom suggested figuring out the resturant before prom and then looking at their menue so that i know what i can eat. does anyone else have suggestions?

congrats022.gif

We are all here to support you on the OCC Website. So please ask as many questions as you need.

Jenn

(aka Cassies Mom)