Is the LapBand for me?

Hello everyone,

I started considering the LapBand procedure after seeing and hearing about Dr. Ortiz on the Oprah show. I must say that having Dr. Otiz on the Oprah sure helped me, encouraged me to look into it more. ;)

1st I emailed the Obesity Control Center, then I called and spoke to Lori and again and again. :huh: Lori must be tired of getting my calls and answering my questions.

Anyhow I am now in the stage of finalizing my plans to travel to San Diego, get picked up and get this over with. After all my health is on the line being overweight and having all these pounds on my frame doesn't help my Osteoarthritis of the spine.

I am 37, 5'4", 232lbs, Size 18 pants, 2X-Shirts. My arms are large and at times it's difficult to buy shirts simply because of this. :unsure:

My goals are to loose weight, start an exercise regimen, and be an advocate to this procedure. The way I see it, if it can work for me it can work for anyone, so we will see.

I hope I loose the size of my calf's, I want to fit into a pair of cowgirl boots. :o I've never been able to wear high-rise boots for this same reason. I think the older you get the more you realize that your health is important and an integral part of living.

My ex-husband died last year at age 37 on Nov. 18th, 2007. My son was left with an empty heart. Even though we had divorced he sill looked forward to having a relationship with his father as an adult. That hope was cut short because his father died of a stroke. He was overweight, had heart problems, hypertension(high-blood pressure), sugar levels were never stable, etc., etc.

Well my son, after his fathers death, left me a message on our Wii message center. It read "Mommy, I love you and I don't want you to die. Please don't go anywhere, I need you." :( When you read something like that coming from a 12 year old, right after he looses his father you can't help but wonder what he feels, thinks, and worries about.

I want to live to see my grand-babies. :P I want to live to see my son thrive in the World. So for my life, for my health, I do this for you my son.

Ruth

PS: All I have to do is get the travel date and procedure date to coincide with eachother.

PSS: I'm scared out of my mind!! :o

Ruth, you sound like about the same size and shape I was when I started this, although I am quite a bit older. Don't be scared! Do you have a friend or family member to go with you? Dr Ortiz's cost of surgery includes a hotel room for your friend or relative to use before, during and after you are at the clinic. It is nice to have someone to talk to, although not essential because you will meet other patients traveling to and from the clinic that are just as nervous as you are. I thought of going to Tijuana as a mini-vacation, a chance to see a place I was unfamiliar with and to experience something new. The surgery is not bad and the hotel is really nice. Is your son going to go with you?

Ruth

Please don't be scared of the procedure/travel/eating plan anything. Giving birth to my 10lb 10 oz baby with no meds was 100 times worse than this even with the instant result!

You are giving yourself the gift of a healthier life and peace of mind to your son. I know you are going to wonder why you worried after its done. I know I did and I'm a worrier.

Dr Ortiz and his team are fantastic as were the staff at the hotel. I agree with taking a close friend or relative for support.

Hang in there.

Nicole

I think you will do just fine. ><'

I can't imagine how that made you feel when your son said that.

Ruth, you sound like about the same size and shape I was when I started this, although I am quite a bit older. Don't be scared! Do you have a friend or family member to go with you? Dr Ortiz's cost of surgery includes a hotel room for your friend or relative to use before, during and after you are at the clinic. It is nice to have someone to talk to, although not essential because you will meet other patients traveling to and from the clinic that are just as nervous as you are. I thought of going to Tijuana as a mini-vacation, a chance to see a place I was unfamiliar with and to experience something new. The surgery is not bad and the hotel is really nice. Is your son going to go with you?

No, my son isn't coming along. That's another factor I need to think about. I need to make sure he's taken care of while I'm in Mexico. I spoke to my mother and she's willing to come down for a week or two to watch him while I'm in Mexico and to help me should I need help after the procedure.

My cousin will be traveling with me. She's my inspiration. She weighed over 300lbs and is only 5'2". She had gastric by-pass and is now healthy and thin.

Hello everyone,

I started considering the LapBand procedure after seeing and hearing about Dr. Ortiz on the Oprah show. I must say that having Dr. Otiz on the Oprah sure helped me, encouraged me to look into it more. ;)

1st I emailed the Obesity Control Center, then I called and spoke to Lori and again and again. :huh: Lori must be tired of getting my calls and answering my questions.

Anyhow I am now in the stage of finalizing my plans to travel to San Diego, get picked up and get this over with. After all my health is on the line being overweight and having all these pounds on my frame doesn't help my Osteoarthritis of the spine.

I am 37, 5'4", 232lbs, Size 18 pants, 2X-Shirts. My arms are large and at times it's difficult to buy shirts simply because of this. :unsure:

My goals are to loose weight, start an exercise regimen, and be an advocate to this procedure. The way I see it, if it can work for me it can work for anyone, so we will see.

I hope I loose the size of my calf's, I want to fit into a pair of cowgirl boots. :o I've never been able to wear high-rise boots for this same reason. I think the older you get the more you realize that your health is important and an integral part of living.

My ex-husband died last year at age 37 on Nov. 18th, 2007. My son was left with an empty heart. Even though we had divorced he sill looked forward to having a relationship with his father as an adult. That hope was cut short because his father died of a stroke. He was overweight, had heart problems, hypertension(high-blood pressure), sugar levels were never stable, etc., etc.

Well my son, after his fathers death, left me a message on our Wii message center. It read "Mommy, I love you and I don't want you to die. Please don't go anywhere, I need you." :( When you read something like that coming from a 12 year old, right after he looses his father you can't help but wonder what he feels, thinks, and worries about.

I want to live to see my grand-babies. :P I want to live to see my son thrive in the World. So for my life, for my health, I do this for you my son.

Ruth

PS: All I have to do is get the travel date and procedure date to coincide with eachother.

PSS: I'm scared out of my mind!! :o

Dont be scared!! Being over weight/obese is much more dangerous than the surgery. Dr. Ortiz is very qualified- My surgery is next wednesday and I am 100% confident in him. I cant wait for food not to rule my life- also to be healthy, thin and adventerous....and once i get pregnant i want to be a cute pregnant person..not a whale! :o) dont stress over it- send your deposit, book your ticket and be exicted! :lol: