Slim Fast or any tasty meal replacement shakes

Has anyone tried slim fast shakes after having lap band surgery? I'm looking for something that I can drink on the go and while at work. I've tried the shakes from thedetoxlife.com and they are pretty tasty but I have to blend them. I'm looking for a tasty shake that won't make me vomit. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

I actually really like the Slim Fast shakes also. I hope someone answers soon. I think I would like them after my surgery too.

I have had the Costco version and they taste great. (pre-op) Post Op I purchased a Whey Protien powder (chocolate flavor, of course) that I mix with water. It gives me 24 g of Protien per 6 oz drink, and it's low in calories and fat. There is no soduim in it, either. I would suggest using that instead. You can blend it with ice -even a banana and have a yummy shake, that is filling.

Can I suggest something though ---

With all the time, energy and money you are going to be spending - you are going to relearn how to eat. Maybe you can take a little extra time for yourself to make sure you have time to eat a proper meal. I found that I was always taking care of someone else, and leaving mySELF behind. The diet shake would curb my hunger (pre surgery) and soon after I would head for the drive through. I found on the days I took time for mySELF and planned my meals, I was much more satisfied and was eating better.

I'm only 6 days post-op, and ready for my cream soups. I spent about an hour last night making some homemade cream of mushroom and cream of broccoli/chicken soup. I took control of my soduim intake by making my own soup. I also took control over the fat content with the cream. I just had my first little bowl - I was very satisfied with my meal, ate just a little and feel great knowing that making it mySELF, knowing what I just put in my body - that in itself was very satisfying to me!

Good Luck to you!

Much Peace,

Maggie

I have had the Costco version and they taste great. (pre-op) Post Op I purchased a Whey Protien powder (chocolate flavor, of course) that I mix with water. It gives me 24 g of Protien per 6 oz drink, and it's low in calories and fat. There is no soduim in it, either. I would suggest using that instead. You can blend it with ice -even a banana and have a yummy shake, that is filling.

With all the time, energy and money you are going to be spending - you are going to relearn how to eat. Maybe you can take a little extra time for yourself to make sure you have time to eat a proper meal. I found that I was always taking care of someone else, and leaving mySELF behind. The diet shake would curb my hunger (pre surgery) and soon after I would head for the drive through. I found on the days I took time for mySELF and planned my meals, I was much more satisfied and was eating better.

I'm only 6 days post-op, and ready for my cream soups. I spent about an hour last night making some homemade cream of mushroom and cream of broccoli/chicken soup. I took control of my soduim intake by making my own soup. I also took control over the fat content with the cream. I just had my first little bowl - I was very satisfied with my meal, ate just a little and feel great knowing that making it mySELF, knowing what I just put in my body - that in itself was very satisfying to me!

Good Luck to you!

Much Peace,

Maggie

Thanks for your response. I had my surgery in April 07 and became pregnant 3 months later. During those three months I lost almost 30 lbs. I really changed the way I ate. My issue is I'm delivering next month and I'm looking for something that I can grab and go for breakfast. Right now I'm eating fruit and a Isagenix shake for breakfast and that serve me just fine. I've only gained 4 lbs during this pregnancy because I've been watching what I've been eating. (My baby gained 6 and is totally healthy). I would try the Costco drinks but I don't have anywhere to blend them at work and battery operated blenders don't last long. I'm just looking for something I can drink with my veggies for lunch that would keep me full until dinner. Besides I think I would rather spend the money on a ready to drink vs not having anything at all.

I commend you for making your own soup. I just think it would be kind of hard for me to do with a streaming baby and a 3 and 5 yr old.

Thanks for your response. I had my surgery in April 07 and became pregnant 3 months later. During those three months I lost almost 30 lbs. I really changed the way I ate. My issue is I'm delivering next month and I'm looking for something that I can grab and go for breakfast. Right now I'm eating fruit and a Isagenix shake for breakfast and that serve me just fine. I've only gained 4 lbs during this pregnancy because I've been watching what I've been eating. (My baby gained 6 and is totally healthy). I would try the Costco drinks but I don't have anywhere to blend them at work and battery operated blenders don't last long. I'm just looking for something I can drink with my veggies for lunch that would keep me full until dinner. Besides I think I would rather spend the money on a ready to drink vs not having anything at all.

I commend you for making your own soup. I just think it would be kind of hard for me to do with a streaming baby and a 3 and 5 yr old.

I didn't have my surgery yet, but I LOVE the slim fast shakes. They do keep me full for about 3 hours, if that is all I have. I hope I can have them after, because that is what Iplanned on.

Hey girl,

The shakes at Costco I was talking about are already made - they are the Kirkland brand, and I love them!

A side note -- I am a mommy, too. I've got a 10 month old and a 2.5 year old. I'm am constantly trying to keep up with them. I make sure to find time to cook a meal, and have leftovers. Also when the kids go to bed I try and take care of lunches, etc. Some nites I'm not so successful, but I try -hehe.

My soup receipes - no perfect measurements, sorry. I can tell you that last night I made roasted chicken and steamed broccoli for the hubbie and kids, so I used the leftovers for soup.

Cream of Broccoli/Chicken Soup -

1 large roasted chicken breast (spices on chicken-ground clove, cinimon,cardomon, black pepper) - you can just roast with a little salt and pepper)

3 cups of organic (or homemade) chicken stock

2 cups steamed broccoli

1/2 cup light half and half

1 tbs of fresh ground black pepper

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1 tbs flour

Heat the stock with broccoli, salt and pepper for just a few minutes, cut up the chicken breast into cubes. Pour the broccoli and stock into blender, add the cubed chicken. Blend for about 30-45 second (until smooth). In the same pan, you can slowly heat up the half and half. Once heated pour the blended mixture into the pan and continue to cook for a few minutes. Mix about 3 tbs of cold water with 1 tbs of flour. Once it's mixed well, add to the soup. This will thicken it up a bit. Taste to see if you are missing anything.

Cream of Mushroom Soup -

(I have loads of Morel mushrooms already cooked and frozen, ready to go, but you can add any good meaty mushroom-porchini would be great!! - avoid white button mushroom)

1 cup sauted mushrooms (saute with 1/2 finely diced onion, 1 clove finely diced garlic, and 2/3 cup chicken stock) (start with about 2 cups diced mushrooms)

2 cups organic (or homemade) chicken stock

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp celery seed

1/2 tsp of garlic powder

1 tbs flour

Heat the stock with the sauted mushrooms, add all spices. Put in blender and pulse for about 20 seconds. Heat the half and half for a few minutes, add the blended mushroom/broth and heat on low for about 15 minutes. Mix about 3 tbs of cold water with 1 tbs of flour. Once it's mixed well, add to the soup. This will thicken it up a bit. Taste to see if you need anything.

That's it. It took a little less than an hour to make both soups, and now I've got a weeks worth of soups that are good for me.

Happy Cooking, Ladies.

Much Peace,

Maggie

Somewhat along the same line when discussing shakes...

I recently got my shipment of Optifast (Chocolate Flavor) and didn't like the taste as much as the Slim-Fast (Chocolate Flavor) so I did some searching on another board and found a few great tips to enhance the flavor of the Optifast powdered shakes.

1. Add a spoonful of instant coffee into the blender to make a great Mocha-Chocolate flavor similar to what you would pay $6 for at Starbucks.

2. You can buy sugar-free zero calorie coffee flavoring (like the liquid shots of peppermint or whatever) which can give you a different version of your shake eah day.

3. Another good add in to the Vanilla Shakes is to add some of your favorite powdered crystal lite; this way you can have a Vanilla-Strawberry-Kiwi Shake or a Vanilla-Raspberry shake.

I'm sure with the ready-made slimfast shakes and the individually packaged servings of crystal lite (the ones made for the water bottles) you could find a easily portable flavor combo that "won't make you vomit".

Good Luck!

Hey girl,

The shakes at Costco I was talking about are already made - they are the Kirkland brand, and I love them!

A side note -- I am a mommy, too. I've got a 10 month old and a 2.5 year old. I'm am constantly trying to keep up with them. I make sure to find time to cook a meal, and have leftovers. Also when the kids go to bed I try and take care of lunches, etc. Some nites I'm not so successful, but I try -hehe.

My soup receipes - no perfect measurements, sorry. I can tell you that last night I made roasted chicken and steamed broccoli for the hubbie and kids, so I used the leftovers for soup.

Cream of Broccoli/Chicken Soup -

1 large roasted chicken breast (spices on chicken-ground clove, cinimon,cardomon, black pepper) - you can just roast with a little salt and pepper)

3 cups of organic (or homemade) chicken stock

2 cups steamed broccoli

1/2 tsp kosher salt

Heat the stock with broccoli, salt and pepper for just a few minutes, cut up the chicken breast into cubes. Pour the broccoli and stock into blender, add the cubed chicken. Blend for about 30-45 second (until smooth). In the same pan, you can slowly heat up the half and half. Once heated pour the blended mixture into the pan and continue to cook for a few minutes. Taste to see if you are missing anything.

Cream of Mushroom Soup -

(I have loads of Morel mushrooms already cooked and frozen, ready to go, but you can add any good meaty mushroom-porchini would be great!! - avoid white button mushroom)

1 cup sauted mushrooms (saute with 1/2 finely diced onion, 1 clove finely diced garlic, and 2/3 cup chicken stock) (start with about 2 cups diced mushrooms)

2 cups organic (or homemade) chicken stock

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp celery seed

1/2 tsp of garlic powder

Heat the stock with the sauted mushrooms, add all spices. Put in blender and pulse for about 20 seconds. Heat the half and half for a few minutes, add the blended mushroom/broth and heat on low for about 15 minutes. Taste to see if you need anything.

That's it. It took a little less than an hour to make both soups, and now I've got a weeks worth of soups that are good for me.

Happy Cooking, Ladies.

Much Peace,

Maggie

Thanks. I'm going to try your soup soon. I don't have the problem with cooking a meal I just don't ever have leftovers that is when my husbands around. : - )

I'm going to make a trip to Costco. I usually do a shake and fruit for breakfast and a wrap and veggies for lunch. Now I have soup to add to the mix. Again thanks. I hope to meet my goal weight by August.

Good Luck to you!

Much Peace,

Maggie

Maggie,

I am having my procedure in March, and still not sure what to expect post -op. I realize everyone is different, but will I be able to move on to cream soups after a week? And when can you expect to eat 'soft foods'?

I also take the time to cook most meals from scratch, I would really like to hear more from you about what you are cooking up. Thanks!

Kate =D>

Hi Kate,

I was told I could go to cream soups on day 6. I'm not sure if they tell everyone the same thing, but the nutritionist will give you guidelines of what you will need to do. I got the ok to eat ground up soft food 3 weeks post surgery. Week 4 is when I get to go to solids again.

I will say that Post-Op really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I built it up to be something way more intense. The first week I only felt hungry for one day - day 5. I realized that I had not consumed enough liquids, which was likely the cause. I'm now on cream soups, protien drinks, still enjoying broth, juice and water. It was really strange how full I was after about 1/3 cup of soup.

I'm happy to share some of my meals. I'd love for a MEAL BLOG to be started. We can all share reciepes that are healthy and tasty.

Good Luck to you, girl.

Much Peace,

Maggie