how to be banded in TJ

If you can manage the cost.....go for it! Mexico is about half as much as the US even with the airfare! I had to self-pay and took out a loan, but it was worth it. My insurance would pay for a full gastric bypass, but not the band......have you ever heard something so stupid! I am a chicken, so didn't want to go that route. If you are interested go to the Obesity Control Center website and inquire about the surgery and they can tell you what you need to do to get the ball rolling. Pretty easy if you ask me.

Donna

I had it all lined up to pay 15K here in Mississippi to have it done until I called Lori at OCC. She completely put my fears at ease and assured me I would be perfectly fine to have this done in Mexico and SAVE about 8K! I am now thrilled and so excited to have mine done in Mexico. It won't put me in debt and I have found a fill Dr here in the states. Good luck! Do call Lori and just talk to her..she is GREAT! 1-866-dr-ortiz Ext. 81

My insurance reimbursed me for my surgery with Dr Ortiz. It was $8000 when I had it done in October, as they gave me $500 off the price because my husband and i did it together. When I checked in Washington state and Arizona, I was quoted a price of $19,000.

There are cheaper US surgeons, but you might have to travel to get to them too. A lot of US doctors will not do fills and follow up care unless they did the original surgery, and will not help either Mexico or other US patients.

Snowbird,

How'd you get your insurance company to pay for the lap band?

I have Federal Employees' Blue Cross Blue Shield. As of 1/1/07 they cover lap band surgery in the US. I called them to ask if I could be reimbursed for surgery in Mexico, and they said, sure; just fill out an overseas medical treatment form and submit a claim. I got an itemized bill from OCC, copies of my PCP's records on me documenting comorbidities, also included a copy of my upper GI endoscopy for an added co-morbidity (my BMI was 35). and went to a psychologist and got his report, and sent them in. My husband did the same as he has the same insurance. About 5 or 6 weeks later we received checks. His check was for $7900 and mine was for $7200. We each paid $$$$ for the surgery, had the same insurance. and sent in the same documentations. So go figure. I think two different insurance adjusters worked on the claims and processed them differently. I didn't complain because I was afraid they would lower my husband's amount rather than raising mine!

[snowbird~

Thanks for your detailed reply. I have blue cross blue shield. Did you not have a maximum per calendar year? I'm seriously considering Mexico more and more. I think I will give this Lori a call tomorrow.

A maximum I have to pay, or a maximum they will cover? Yeah, there are both of those things in my policy. As the surgery with OCC was only $****, neither of the maximums came into play with its coverage.

[snowbird~

Thanks for your detailed reply. I have blue cross blue shield. Did you not have a maximum per calendar year? I'm seriously considering Mexico more and more. I think I will give this Lori a call tomorrow.

Every plan is different even though they are with the same insurance company. Just depends what your emloyer chose to have covered or not. I have blue cross and they don't pay a dime for any type of obesity treatment.

I work for an insurance company and I find it peculiar that the general public gets so mad at the insurance companies on what they will pay for or not and they are wrong ones to get mad at. It is the owner of the policy - usually your employer who offers the insurance to begin with that makes ALL the decisions on what they want covered or not in the plan.

I know no-one asked about that, I just thought I'd throw that in there.