I had already found one local Dr. to do my fills for $1500/year, but today I decided to call around the local bigger cities (Mobile, AL..New Orleans, LA) and they all said they wouldn't touch anyone banded in Mexico. They said too many people have way too many problems. I just wonder where these people are going with all these problems since none of you seem to have any. I am so freaking nervous.

$1500 a year?!? Yikes, that's $500 per fill if you get three your first year. Course if you get 4 or more fills the first year it starts sounding more reasonable, but unless you have the VG band 4 fills the first year is kinda pushing it. Is that with floro?

The too many problems statement may be just an excuse for "we don't want the liability" which is a common reason for not taking Mexican patients. If you're concerned about being on the receiving end of a malpractice suit, warranted or not, one problem may be too many.

The real reason they won't touch Mexican patients is because they are mad they are losing money to the Mexican surgeons. I doubt very much that Mexican surgeons have a higher rate of complications than their US counterparts. US doctors are trying to discourage patients from going to Mexico and paying half as much for their surgery.

I participate in another lap band forum, and I have heard just as many US surgeon horror stories as Mexican ones, if not more. I also have heard about US surgeons that schedule patients for fills ahead of time every four weeks whether they need them or not. Now that is putting the patient ahead of convenience and making money--NOT!

Check to see if there is a Fill Center USA in your area, or any nurses who do fills. It isn't rocket science, and a nurse can handle it just fine with a very small bit of training.

The real reason they won't touch Mexican patients is because they are mad they are losing money to the Mexican surgeons. I doubt very much that Mexican surgeons have a higher rate of complications than their US counterparts. US doctors are trying to discourage patients from going to Mexico and paying half as much for their surgery.

I participate in another lap band forum, and I have heard just as money US surgeon horror stories as Mexican ones, if not more. I also have heard about US surgeons that schedule patients for fills ahead of time every four weeks whether they need them or not. Now that is putting the patient ahead of convenience and making money--NOT!

Check to see if there is a Fill Center USA in your area, or any nurses who do fills. It isn't rocket science, and a nurse can handle it just fine with a very small bit of training.

I just checked over at lapbandtalk.com and one woman said she was banded in Mexico but gets fills from a Dr Carroll at River Oaks Hospital in Jackson, MS. Hope that helps.

Thanks snowbird. I am gonna call them tomorrow. Jackson is only about a three hour drive for me.

Oh Clynn..that is without fluoro.

I would love to go back to Mexico, but with two small kids and such a costly flight it may be more trouble than it's worth, you know?

I participate in another lap band forum, and I have heard just as money US surgeon horror stories as Mexican ones, if not more. I also have heard about US surgeons that schedule patients for fills ahead of time every four weeks whether they need them or not. Now that is putting the patient ahead of convenience and making money--NOT!

SNOWBIRD, YA HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD :)

I would love to go back to Mexico, but with two small kids and such a costly flight it may be more trouble than it's worth, you know?

Absolutely shop around then. I pay $150 for my fills without floro. . . and that's when they make the 2 hour drive to my town. If I were to drive to them it'd be $125. Try getting in touch with some lap-band support groups in your area, they'll know the best places to go for a fill.

Absolutely shop around then. I pay $150 for my fills without floro. . . and that's when they make the 2 hour drive to my town. If I were to drive to them it'd be $125. Try getting in touch with some lap-band support groups in your area, they'll know the best places to go for a fill.

CLYNN, DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW HOW TO FIND THE SUPPORT GROUPS IN OUR AREAS?? FILL CENTERS DOESN'T HAVE A CENTER CLOSE TO ME FOR FILLS AND I WOULD LIKE TO SHOP AROUND. I TOO HAVE CALLED DR.'S THAT WON'T TOUCH MEXICO PATIENTS...... DUMB. <_<

THANKS! DARLENE

Here in PA, it is required to go back every month for the first 2 years. Not necessarily for a fill, but for a checkup. And I DO believe it's a money thing for Doctors not wanting to touch Mexico people. They are mad that we can find it cheaper. Here, I was quoted a price of $45-$50k for the surgery and my sister who had it done here had a bill (her insurance pays for it) for $43K. Now isn't that ridiculous? It's the same cost as for gastric bypass. And you can go almost anywhere else for around $20k but not here. I won't even bother asking for a fill here. I have a fill center about 2 hours away, but am planning on returning to Mexico for my first one. I checked tickets and I can get one for $265 so that is worth it to me. Plus, I am going to turn that trip into a vacation anyway.

CLYNN, DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW HOW TO FIND THE SUPPORT GROUPS IN OUR AREAS?? FILL CENTERS DOESN'T HAVE A CENTER CLOSE TO ME FOR FILLS AND I WOULD LIKE TO SHOP AROUND. I TOO HAVE CALLED DR.'S THAT WON'T TOUCH MEXICO PATIENTS...... DUMB. <_<

THANKS! DARLENE

Darlene, check out a web forum called lapbandtalk.com They have a subforum called "local lap band support groups" where each state is listed, and you can get in touch with bandsters from your area. Here's the link:

local support groups

Clynn - I live in WA State too. Do you go to Arlington? I live in Lacey so wanted to give them a try down here first with the fluoro - it's $325. What's the VG band? How many fills have you had?

$1500 a year?!? Yikes, that's $500 per fill if you get three your first year. Course if you get 4 or more fills the first year it starts sounding more reasonable, but unless you have the VG band 4 fills the first year is kinda pushing it. Is that with floro?

The too many problems statement may be just an excuse for "we don't want the liability" which is a common reason for not taking Mexican patients. If you're concerned about being on the receiving end of a malpractice suit, warranted or not, one problem may be too many.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with fill centers on the East Coast, besides the ones mentioned on the FillcentersUSA website (I can look into those ones myself)? Since I will have to fly to the States everytime I need a fill, I need to find a center in a State that has a direct flight from Bermuda. I too am worried that some centers won't give me fills knowing I was banded in Mexico. Do they confirm where you went? I could always just say San Diego if they don't ask for proof of where you went...

Let me know!

Terri

Clynn - I live in WA State too. Do you go to Arlington? I live in Lacey so wanted to give them a try down here first with the fluoro - it's $325. What's the VG band? How many fills have you had?

My last two fills have been with the ladies in Arlington. Every couple of months they come down to Port Orchard. The VG band is a larger band which requires more fills. As for the number of fills I've had, check out my signature.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with fill centers on the East Coast, besides the ones mentioned on the FillcentersUSA website (I can look into those ones myself)? Since I will have to fly to the States everytime I need a fill, I need to find a center in a State that has a direct flight from Bermuda. I too am worried that some centers won't give me fills knowing I was banded in Mexico. Do they confirm where you went? I could always just say San Diego if they don't ask for proof of where you went...

Let me know!

Terri

All of the ones I called looking for fill doctors want a copy of the operative report. I think that is how they make sure they know you went to Mexico.

Bummer! Thanks Kim :) I'll have to do some calling around then, or just go to the nearest FillcenterUSA since they will do it..

All of the ones I called looking for fill doctors want a copy of the operative report. I think that is how they make sure they know you went to Mexico.

Hi Kimmie,

Don't be nervous... I got banded by Dr. Ortiz on Feb 28th, you've probably been talking to a few of us who got banded that same day (Hanna, McKenzie, Diana...). We are all alive and doing great!. I didnt' loose too much weight before getting banded (7 lbs), I thought they wouldn't do the surgery, but they did, and everything went so well, its all a blurr now. I was so relaxed and calm about the whole thing, that when I woke after the anesthesia wore off, I thought nothing had been done. They take care of you so well, the entire staff is at your every need and any questions you may have they will answer. I only live 2hrs away from Tijuana, so I've been there hundreds of times, but this time was so different. The hotel you will stay in is very nice, I forgot I was in TJ when I was there, I thought I was off at a resort. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I didn't post my whole experience, but if you have read Hanna's it was all the same for me too.

I see you've been researching places you can do your fills, well I can't really tell you how good your options will be around where you live, but you never know, you may be one of the few that don't need the fills to begin with. :)

Stay calm, you have nothing to worry about.

Zulma

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Mobile and you are right, no one will touch you. There is one in Baton Rouge but he charged about $325.00. I also got banded in Mexico and found a doctor in Kenner, La. Dr. Waigh Mando. He charges $180.00 and has done about 4 fills for me. A really nice guy. But just one thing, he does not use floro, but hits it every time.