Calling all June Bansters...Who has a June surgery date??

• 2 weeks later...

Hey There Honey;

Well I figured I would write you...since u have wrote me...lol....I just wanted to let u know that I will update you with things as soon as I get my surgery...since I am being banded on June 9th....I AM SO SO SO EXCITED!!!!...I also ordered the book the end of April...however..I am getting upset..I still have not received it....I was really wanting to get that read before my surgery....maybe I will be able to while on the plane there....Well I may catch up with u before my surgery....and I will try and write u while I am there also...Take care and Stay Safe!!! Hugs...Cathy :))

Whew... and to think I was ready to go through Gastric Bypass!

I was impressed when I was refered to Dr. Ortiz - so what if I had to wait an hour because he was in surgery. As I told him, "I wouldn't want anyone rushing you while you were working on me!". I walked out of his office with my date set for June 22nd. My pre-op is set for the 21st.

Well I am working on the pre-op weight loss starting today. Weigh in was 318 - BMI 46. I don't think there's any reason why I would back out now!

Darrin (The Traveling Man)

Hi Cathy.....

I just signed up for banding also on June 9th!!! I live in the L.A. area, so I thought that I would just drive down. Man! am I jazzed!!!! Hope to see you there :)

Cindy

Hey There Honey;

Well I figured I would write you...since u have wrote me...lol....I just wanted to let u know that I will update you with things as soon as I get my surgery...since I am being banded on June 9th....I AM SO SO SO EXCITED!!!!...I also ordered the book the end of April...however..I am getting upset..I still have not received it....I was really wanting to get that read before my surgery....maybe I will be able to while on the plane there....Well I may catch up with u before my surgery....and I will try and write u while I am there also...Take care and Stay Safe!!! Hugs...Cathy :))

Hi Cathy.....

I just signed up for banding also on June 9th!!! I live in the L.A. area, so I thought that I would just drive down. Man! am I jazzed!!!! Hope to see you there :)

Cindy

OMG!!! Cindy that is soooooo AWESOME!!! omg...I cant wait to meet u...now I am really excited...I take it you are having your pre-ops on the 8th? I am flying in from Florida and bringing my friend, Sherry....are u coming alone? OMG...this is awesome...the same day!!!!

Yes, I'm coming down on the 8th. Since I live fairly close (actually too close to fly) I'm taking Amtrak so that I don't have to fight the freeways and traffic. My mom was wanting to come along, but I'd rather have her staying at my house with my son and his caretaker in case they have any problems. I don't think I'll have too much time to be lonely :)

Looking forward to meeting you!

OMG!!! Cindy that is soooooo AWESOME!!! omg...I cant wait to meet u...now I am really excited...I take it you are having your pre-ops on the 8th? I am flying in from Florida and bringing my friend, Sherry....are u coming alone? OMG...this is awesome...the same day!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I have surgery scheduled June 6th with Dr. Ortiz. I have never been 'under the knife' and a little scared. Also reading about slippage, erosion, acid reflux has me fearful. I am self pay and don't want to spend the money only to find I can't 'stomach' it.

:rolleyes:Hello June Bansters I have surgery set for June 5, 2006 with Dr Ortiz and can not wait . I strat my preop diet tommorrow. I went to walmart and got the whey protien powder that the nutristionist recommended. anyone else having surgery around this time? any ideas or suggestions on how to make the preop diet more interesting? Armynurseb

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck Julie. I was banded on May 2 and will be going in on May 14 for my first fill. So, as you're being wisked off to your hotel in the morning, I'll be in the waiting room. Maybe they will let me pop my head into your room to say HI. When I had my surgery, we left the hospital by 10 am the next morning. My appt. is for 9:30. I have long blonde hair and freckles. And do I need to add, that I'm gonna be the fat one??? LOL.

That has always been a part of how I describe myself to people. I am very involved in the soccer community here in town. Being on the Board and also in charge of the referees, there's been so many times when I had to meet someone at a park or school. I would say "I'll be the tall blonde with the huge rearend". It got a laugh out of people. Hopefully, soon, I won't be calling myself that anymore.

Jennifer

Just scheduled my surgery for June 13th. It is such a huge relief! I've been researching and trying to get insurance to pay for the last six months. I'm so ready!

Julie

Hello June bandsters...I am getting banded with Dr. Ortiz on June 16th. I am very excited about getting banded but at the same time very scared and nervous about it. I have done loads of research on the lap band and I feel I am making the right choice. I started my pre-op diet on May 31st and weighed in at 314. I was told I needed to lose 5% of my body weight and also needed to quit smoking at least 2 weeks prior to the surgery. Well the pre-op diet is going well, as of today I have lost 10 pounds. On the other hand, I think my husband has lost 20 pounds since I quit smoking. Mainly due to running away from me and doing his best to stay out of my way cause I GUESS I am a little grouchy LOL. I did quit for now, but had a question about it and was wondering if anyone knows the answer. I have used the nicoderm patch for the last two days and was wondering if anyone knew if this was ok to do. I got a call into the doctors office to ask him, but thought I would post it to see if anyone else went through the same experience. This forum has been very inspirational and informative both for me and my husband. Best of luck to all who are getting band soon and keep us informed on how it is going.

Excited bandster,

Deb

Hello June bandsters...I am getting banded with Dr. Ortiz on June 16th. I am very excited about getting banded but at the same time very scared and nervous about it. I have done loads of research on the lap band and I feel I am making the right choice. I started my pre-op diet on May 31st and weighed in at 314. I was told I needed to lose 5% of my body weight and also needed to quit smoking at least 2 weeks prior to the surgery. Well the pre-op diet is going well, as of today I have lost 10 pounds. On the other hand, I think my husband has lost 20 pounds since I quit smoking. Mainly due to running away from me and doing his best to stay out of my way cause I GUESS I am a little grouchy LOL. I did quit for now, but had a question about it and was wondering if anyone knows the answer. I have used the nicoderm patch for the last two days and was wondering if anyone knew if this was ok to do. I got a call into the doctors office to ask him, but thought I would post it to see if anyone else went through the same experience. This forum has been very inspirational and informative both for me and my husband. Best of luck to all who are getting band soon and keep us informed on how it is going.

Excited bandster,

Deb

Hi Deb,

Congrats to you. Quitting smoking and pre surg. weight loss too. You go girl.

I had my surgery last year, this week. I too, had to lose some weight before the surgery to shrink my liver to enable the doctor to get in there, to the stomach easier. I was told I could use their Medifast or Slim Fast. I opted for the Slim Fast. I did it dilegently- no cheating, 4-5 per day, for 2 weeks before the surg. and I was down 20 lbs. The doctor was pleased. I still fill in with the Slim Fast daily sometimes 2 times a day- either breakfast or lunch. I don't care if it's cold or room temp. so I leave some in the car too. Just in case. I also leave either the "Slim Fast" protein bars or the "Zone" bars in the car too. I like the Zone bars better, they have more variety. They have fruit flavors that are great whereas Slim Fast has mostly choices with chocolate and or nuts, and I hate to say it but I'm not such a fan all the time of those flavors. At this stage I don't want to be in a situation where I am hungry and I am tempted to make the wrong choice or if there is no choice- like if there are only thing I can't eat cuz they won't go down.

I am 55 yrs old. so when I had the band done I was 54. I was in the hospital in the am, they did the surgery at 2:30 in the pm. I was in recovery by 3:30, wide awake greeting my family. I had no discomfort during the night but I did take the pain meds, cuz why look a gift horse in the mouth- hey they offer, I take. Slept well, had nice vitamin water in the am, showered, dressed and by 12:00 noon my hubby was there to take me home. I had no gas as the others were speaking about. I wasn't even uncomfortable during the first week home. I healed very well and now the scars are very faint pink. And I usually scar heavily. There were 5 scars and I can only detect the one main one where the port is for the fill.

I started out at 326 and I am down to 245. I am down 4-5 pant/shirt sizes. Even my ring size has gone from a 10 to an 8. So none of my jewelry fits either. My bracelets are all 8" and now I need 7". I can even wear a 15-16" necklace. I wish I was down more weight but I have severe arthritis and am unable to exercise. I no longer work at my secretarial job and am out on Social Security Permanent Disabiliy, due to my inability to sit for long periods of time. My doctor told me I would probably lose between 75 to 100 lbs and I would be very lucky if I made it to 100 lbs. But eh, like I said I am happy. I feel SOO much better. I have the will to be energetic but my back won't allow it. It slams me right into place. So I go slow. My blood pressure is down to normal and I no longer have to take any of my asthma medications. I used to get severe bronchitis and sinus infections. I only had one mild sinus thingy this year. I really feel like a new woman. When I meet friends from work for lunch they don't even recognize me. One even walked right past me at the mall when I was waiting for her and I had worked with her for 6 and a half years. . It is so funny to have that kind of reaction from people --so you won't be the one with the big rearend!! I had this surgery as a preparation so to speak for the back surgery that I so dearly need. I would not do it at 326. I was afraid I would die under the anesthesia. It is a very long surgery. So I'll wait a little longer and then after the holidays have the back done. I'll be the bionic woman then!!

Just one question, Why is everyone over in southern CA going to Mexico for the surgery?? Is it less expensive there? Dr. Ortiz sure seems competent. He has done thousands of these surgeries just as my doctor has- as I had researched him too. My surgery was at Cornell Medical Center- New York University Hospital, in New York City, which is only 40 minutes from my home in the suburbs of Long Island. His name is Dr. George Fielding and he works with Dr. Christine Ren, who was on Oprah and founded the Weight Loss program at the Hospital. I live on Long Island and all the drs. I researched on the Island just were not as experienced and that doesn't cut it in my book. Esp. if they are cutting me!! Ha!!

So Good luck to you and sorry if I chewed your ear off too much.

Marylou

Hey Laura;

As promised I am writing to inform you that I had my surgery...IT WAS AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE!! and ...I would do it again in a heartbeat...I met CindyK down there and her and I had a blast!!! We were the only two in there that day...it was a wonderful experience....I can't tell you one bad thing...HONESTLY!!! Cindy and I were dying the day we arrived from hunger because of FASTING for your Pre-Op lab work....other than that....GREAT!!!....From Franciso our driver, Carmalita our nurse, Pablo, Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Martinez, OMG..AND MRS. ORTIZ!!!....WHAT A DOLL!!!...I beleive ALOT of American Doctors should take note from the above mentioned people...I actually felt like a patient, not a number, not there to line some doctors filthy pockets...THESE WERE THE BEST PEOPLE....The Clinic was gorgeous....CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN...the same with the hotel....the people were wonderful also...if you are nervous...DONT BE!!! These people will definately make the experience wonderful for you...I can remember lying in the room waiting to be taken into the Operating Room...and what do I hear...MUSIC....LOUD....MUSIC....coming from the O.R.....I danced into ther O.R....so I am told...but I felt so relaxed and comfortable around these people...The day you are discharged you get paperwork with your discharge instructions and phone numbers....I was sooooooooooooo impressed.....HOW MANY AMERICAN DOCTORS WILL ACTUALLY GIVE A PATIENT THEIR CELL PHONE NUMBERS?.....NONE!!!!! Laura I hope your visit in TJ goes as wonderful for you as mine did...This was definately one of the best experiences of my life!!!! Cathy :))

I am scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on June 28th and I was wondering if anyone else on this Board will be there that week or maybe just before me?? I would love to chat here and then meet up there.=) Laura :P

Hello -

I am having surgery on 6/19/06. Just made my appt yesterday!

Hello -

I am having surgery on 6/19/06. Just made my appt yesterday!

Hi, I had my surgery 6/12. The experience was wonderful. The hotel, the obesity center, the staff, are all great. I did not have any nausea or any side effects other than a little gas. I was up and ready to go site seeing on Wed 6/14. I felt fine on Tues 6/13,m the day after surgery, but I was tired, so I stayed in the hotel room and slept. I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat. Good luck. let me know how it goes. I am eating pudding, ice cream and slim fast-5 days after surgery. Do you think this is ok? I am wondering if I am doing something wrong to my pouch? But I am hungry and the nutristionist told me on day 2 post op that I could add yogort twice daily since my BMI was less and I probably did not have as much swelling. Any body have any thoughts on this????

Oh Boy! Here it comes!

Just got back from a cruise - I organized a wedding onboard a cruise ship, so it was quite an experience. What was waiting for me upon my return yesterday? My Book - my long awaited book! I got tired of waiting for the one off the OCC website, so I broke down and bought another copy from Amazon! The Amazon copy took two weeks, but I got it first (no sign of the other copy yet).

Now with less than 3 days to go, I AM READY! I'm counting down the hours now!

See you folks on the losing side.... and for those of you following me (surgery dates after the 22nd) I am pulling for you too.

WoooHooo!

Darrin

San Diego, CA

To be Banded June 22nd

Good luck Darrin! I probably won't see you Junebug 'cuz I'll be at the hotel and you'll be getting your sugery...well maybe if you check into the hotel on the 29th. Are you having your surgery same day? I will probably be somewhere by the pool. Thanks for filling me in on your experience CutieCathy, I hope I have as good of an experience. It's so good to read all the positive posts on here!!

Congrats and best of all wishes to all that came before us this month!

I am scheduled for the 30th, I too check in on the 29th with the surgery on Friday the 30th!

I am so excited for this new start of my life.

I have been traveling this last week and between that and the airconditioning in the 90+ weather we are having, I am having a bit of a bout with a summer cold. I will check in with Dr. Ortiz tomorrow and my hometown Doc to be sure there wont be an problem. >ack the last thing I wanted to worry about<

Junebug & Housecatgirl - Blessings and I hope to see you there! Soon to be on the losing side. :)

I am an official bandster!! Got here at 7:30am and was banded by 2pm. Feeling a little dizzy and queezy. Also, pain in my port area but otherwise ok. Hurts only when I walk around. I hope it gets to the point that I can walk around more without all the pain in the stitches. Right now I don't really feel like walking more that maybe 10 minutes. It hurts especially when I get up or down in bed or reach for something from my suitcase. Is this normal because someone else here says she doen't have that tight pain? I am able to get some liquids down but feel some gas...not too bad yet though. Also, I highly suggest packing something warm for the clinic I was feezing last night. Thanks for all the support bandster friends!! :)

I am an official bandster!! Got here at 7:30am and was banded by 2pm. Feeling a little dizzy and queezy. Also, pain in my port area but otherwise ok. Hurts only when I walk around. I hope it gets to the point that I can walk around more without all the pain in the stitches. Right now I don't really feel like walking more that maybe 10 minutes. It hurts especially when I get up or down in bed or reach for something from my suitcase. Is this normal because someone else here says she doen't have that tight pain? I am able to get some liquids down but feel some gas...not too bad yet though. Also, I highly suggest packing something warm for the clinic I was feezing last night. Thanks for all the support bandster friends!! :)

Hi Laura,

CONGRATS!!! I had that pain - like a pulled muscle almost everytime I sat up - I found it best to roll to my side and then get out of bed. Doing better, but today my skin is very irritated - like where my pants ride. Although I do have very sensitive skin so I could be reacting to something they used to clean/disinfect before surgery, or it could be from the pushing/pulling during surgery - it feels bruised or burned but I'm sure that will pass. Everyone heals differently, but after 2 weeks my port pain is better unless I overdo. Take care and keep us posted! By the way... I think we need a new name - like Princess Bandsters or Bandster Sisters.

• 1 year later...
Just scheduled my surgery for June 13th. It is such a huge relief! I've been researching and trying to get insurance to pay for the last six months. I'm so ready!

Julie

Hi Julie,

My name is Laurie and I am getting banded on June 13th as well. I'm glad to know there is someone else who could put aside the superstition. Maybe friday the 13th will become our favorite day of the year, since it will remind us of our step toward a better, healthier life. See you there.