MamaMichelle

Was it you who was talking about a book you ordered after surgery that really helped you? Someone said the name of it a few weeks ago and I was wanting to order it.

Sorry Kimmie, don't know how I missed this post!!

Hmmm... I have yet to purchase any books since surgery, the only books I ordered pre-op were Dr. Ortiz's Lap Band for Life and 2 cook books off of Amazon...

It's funny you mention it because I just heard about a book that I will be picking up this weekend, it's a little over the top and in your face but I hear if you aren't easily offended and want a non-sugar coated book about diets and weight loss it is wonderfully informative.

It's called Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin

The authors are not weight loss experts but did their research and it makes sense to me.

Borders sells it for $14 but Costco had it for $7.69.

Here is a passage for those who substitute Splenda for sweetners.

"Because we're having so much fun, let's bash the s$#& out of Splenda, one of the newer sweetners. Splenda is made by chlorinating sugar, changing its molecular structure. The finished product is called sucralose. The makers of this poison tout its lack of calories and claim it's safe for diabetics. The FDA calls sucralose 98 percent pure. The other 2 percent contains small amounts of heavy metals, methanol, and arsenic. Well, gee, at least it doesn't have calories. So what if it has a little arsenic? Sucralose has been found to cause diarrhea; organ, genetic, immune system, and reproductive damage; swelling of the liver and kidneys; and a decrease in fetal body weight. What a splendid product! According to Dr. Joseph Mercola in Consumer Research magazine's article 'The Potential Dangers of Sucralose,' 'There is no clear-cut evidence that sugar substitutes are useful in weight reduction. On the contrary, there is some evidence that these substances may stimulate appetite.'"

Now also keep in mind that you could probably find any other number of people who have Dr.'s that say Splenda is great. Any topic is up for interpretation but for me this book is in my face about what I am putting in my body and what it does to my body and that's what I need sometimes!

I did a quick sarch and "Pat in Washington" posted the following in THIS thread:

I urge every bandster that is dealing with uncontrollable hunger to order the book "The Emotional First + Aid Kit" by Cynthia L. Alexander I was banded 02/20/08 and one of the other bandsters had this book. I ordered it from amazon.com the day after I got home. It certainly is helping me handle this post op diet better than I would have had I not read the book.

Pat

Hey Michelle,

I bought Skinny Bitch a while ago and while a lot of what they said made sense about certain things, a lot of it was also too extreme for my tastes. By the end of the book, I felt like it was really more about their agenda for the vegan lifestyle rather than helping women lose weight. But that's just my opinion. My sister loved the book and also bought their cookbook. I also think they're coming out with a book for pregnant women, too.

Alana

Thanks Michelle! That book sounds interesting! :lol:

I did find the one I wanted that someone had mentioned..It is called, "The Lap Band Companion"

I did a quick sarch and "Pat in Washington" posted the following in THIS thread:

Also, someone mentioned "The Lapband Companion Handbook" by Mark Watson and Daniel Jones. I ordered it immediately from Amazon along with Dr. Ortiz's book. They arrived 2 days ago, and the Lapband companion book is awesome! it has very detailed photos explaining the surgery, where and how the band is placed, reasons for the 2 sizes, how fills are done why they are done, diet before, after and how and why everything is done. I am really enjoying this book. It has helped me tremendously with my struggle this week with finally eating normal food.

I have read Skinny Bitch and wasn't too impressed. It was a little too in your face/ outlandish for me. But to each his own! I am reading Kahliah Ali's book on Lap band....she had one in 2003-04( not sure of date) So far so good. I got it on Amazon for $6.00 and the shipping cost me 3.99. I also have Before and After. It is by Susan Marie something she had RNY, but there are alot of good recipes in it and I found her journal entries funny in the begining of the book.

Don't know if this helps, but here it is :-?

Sorry Kimmie, don't know how I missed this post!!

Hmmm... I have yet to purchase any books since surgery, the only books I ordered pre-op were Dr. Ortiz's Lap Band for Life and 2 cook books off of Amazon...

It's funny you mention it because I just heard about a book that I will be picking up this weekend, it's a little over the top and in your face but I hear if you aren't easily offended and want a non-sugar coated book about diets and weight loss it is wonderfully informative.

It's called Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin

The authors are not weight loss experts but did their research and it makes sense to me.

Borders sells it for $14 but Costco had it for $7.69.

Here is a passage for those who substitute Splenda for sweetners.

"Because we're having so much fun, let's bash the s$#& out of Splenda, one of the newer sweetners. Splenda is made by chlorinating sugar, changing its molecular structure. The finished product is called sucralose. The makers of this poison tout its lack of calories and claim it's safe for diabetics. The FDA calls sucralose 98 percent pure. The other 2 percent contains small amounts of heavy metals, methanol, and arsenic. Well, gee, at least it doesn't have calories. So what if it has a little arsenic? Sucralose has been found to cause diarrhea; organ, genetic, immune system, and reproductive damage; swelling of the liver and kidneys; and a decrease in fetal body weight. What a splendid product! According to Dr. Joseph Mercola in Consumer Research magazine's article 'The Potential Dangers of Sucralose,' 'There is no clear-cut evidence that sugar substitutes are useful in weight reduction. On the contrary, there is some evidence that these substances may stimulate appetite.'"

Now also keep in mind that you could probably find any other number of people who have Dr.'s that say Splenda is great. Any topic is up for interpretation but for me this book is in my face about what I am putting in my body and what it does to my body and that's what I need sometimes!

I just did the exact same thing yesterday...I ordered the Lap Band for Life and two cookbooks for Weight Loss Surgery patients. I can't wait to get them.