Completely Off Topic!!! ? About Cats

If there are any Cat owners here…HELP!!! 1 of my 3 cats has a urinary tract infection (from what I believe). There was a puddle of fluid with blood streaks next to the litter box. I called the vet and said to try and narrow it down by watching them for symptoms…great!!!! I’m at work all day BUT I plan on observing them heavily this weekend. My question is how long do I have before it becomes serious?

Thanks guys...I called a different vet. I have and appointment at 3 today...I do feel better taking them in instead of just watching. I do think it may be a food thing too. I typically use high quality foor wet and dry but I've been lazy and haven't made that special trip to pick up their usual good quality wet food so instead I've been feeding them junk...Lesson learned for me...

Also Science Diet has a prescription food for cats that are prone for UTI's. I would suggest putting your cat on that diet if this happens frequently.

When it comes to Urinary Tract Infections, it's just like humans. First the Urinary Tract is infected, then the bladder, then the kidneys. The longer you wait, the more pain your cat will be in and the more expensive the vet bill will be since they will want Xrays of the bladder and/or kidneys to confrim infection (instead of a urine test for a UTI) also a more potent medication if the infection runs to the kidneys than just the urinary tract.

Any Vet that tells you to just monitor your cat after you've stated there is visible blood is questionable. Take your kitty in as soon as you can to prevent any further pain and infection, and a higher bill. UTI's is a common illness in felines, but when neglected can be a costly treatment.

Hope this helps! ><'

Chances are they will tell you not to give them wet food. Just the Science Diet for UTI's.

I'm so glad you are taking them today. A UTI can kill your cat before you know it.

In the future, the signs to look for are;

Going outside their litter box. (Just like your's did)

Blood in the urine.

Seeing the cat straining to pee. They will usually let you know by doing this in front of you. Have you noticed one of them squatting, looking like they are trying to pee, and crying while they do this?

I hope your babies are feeling well soon!

(I have 5 now, had 15 at one time several years ago!)

Wow, glad to see so many cat people here. I am one too! I have 9 and have 2 males that have had very serious peepee problems. Yes, I am glad you are taking them in because if one of them has crystals, he can die and it will be a horribly painful death. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT feed them any special urinary tract type of food without your vet telling you to do that! People assume they are doing good by doing that but they are not. The urinary tract food on the market today if for a certain type of urinary problem, not all types. If I fed the urinary food on the market today, to my Benjamin Eddy, I would have killed him. See, he has the opposite type of urinary problem than what that food treats. Urine can be either acidic or alkaline and without a test, you don't know which is which. You also don't know if he has crystals and which type he has, and that food can be deadly given for the wrong problem. Sorry to sound like a know it all, but I kind of am when it comes to cats. I only adopt the special needs ones and usually do quite a bit if research on them. Peepee problem are my 'specialty' LOL!!!!

Then again, you may be lucky in that you are able to feed the store bought urinary food. I can do that for one of my boys with the peepee problem, but Benjamin Eddy has to have prescription which cost $50 a freaking bag!!!

By the way, if you can't get any peepee samples to take, don't fret, they can get some using a syringe inserted into their bladded to draw some out and it doesn't hurt them. Sometimes, the vet can squeeze some out too.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes at the vet today!!

I just got back. They are calling me with the results. BUT when they were doing the physical they found a murmer in 1...news to me, this is freaking me out...he will be going for a ultrasound to have a look. :( AND the other one has conjuctavitus sp? in the eye. Good thing I took them today!!!

Hope your kitties are doing okay! I have 5 of the beasties, plus I foster kittens for a rescue group! Have had one with Feline Urinary Syndrome (FUS) a while back and it is good that you got him into the vet ASAP before they get blockages! This can be very painful and EXPENSIVE to treat, but a little bit of prevention can save you tons. Just follow the vet recommendations and things should get better.

WOW! I have 2 boys and they are about 6 yrs. old. The youngest(by 3mths.) is neutered since a kitten and has just started spraying the windows and tried to spray my other cat. What the heck is up with that?!!! Why or how can he do that, being neutered and all??? They are both inside cats and they have no problems so far going to the bathroom. I didn't think they could spray if they are neutered. And since he can, WHY NOW? After 6 yrs.?

Hope someone can help. He has been in alot of trouble lately when seeing his "girlfriend" running around outside. LOL

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Judy

WOW! I have 2 boys and they are about 6 yrs. old. The youngest(by 3mths.) is neutered since a kitten and has just started spraying the windows and tried to spray my other cat. What the heck is up with that?!!! Why or how can he do that, being neutered and all??? They are both inside cats and they have no problems so far going to the bathroom. I didn't think they could spray if they are neutered. And since he can, WHY NOW? After 6 yrs.?

Hope someone can help. He has been in alot of trouble lately when seeing his "girlfriend" running around outside. LOL

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Judy

Judy, are all your cats neutered? If not, they need to be to stop the spraying. Also, it is a little known fact, that even female cats can spray, along with males even after neutering.

But, there is always a reason and always a cure.

First off, if he can see stray cats outside your home, therein lies your problem. Your cat is defending his own territory. Even though he is an inside cat, the view from your windows and doors is considered his territory. By spraying, he is telling that outside cat he is boss and he is marking his territory. It would be best to block him from seeing the outside cat at all. Make sure when you clean the peepee, you use an enzyme cleaner to completely remove the smell. Natures Miracle is great to use. Also, make sure your litter pans are clean and the number of litter pans you need to have is one more than the number of cats you have. Also, try Feliway. It's expensive, but works. It is a cat pheremone that stops urine marking. But, you really need to stop allowing that outside cat to be seen by your cat.

Let me know if I can be anymore help!! And good luck!

Judy, are all your cats neutered? If not, they need to be to stop the spraying. Also, it is a little known fact, that even female cats can spray, along with males even after neutering.

But, there is always a reason and always a cure.

First off, if he can see stray cats outside your home, therein lies your problem. Your cat is defending his own territory. Even though he is an inside cat, the view from your windows and doors is considered his territory. By spraying, he is telling that outside cat he is boss and he is marking his territory. It would be best to block him from seeing the outside cat at all. Make sure when you clean the peepee, you use an enzyme cleaner to completely remove the smell. Natures Miracle is great to use. Also, make sure your litter pans are clean and the number of litter pans you need to have is one more than the number of cats you have. Also, try Feliway. It's expensive, but works. It is a cat pheremone that stops urine marking. But, you really need to stop allowing that outside cat to be seen by your cat.

Let me know if I can be anymore help!! And good luck!

Thanks for the reply and advice mona! They are both neutered males and only Milo is spraying and sometimes he has tried to mount the other cat(Pencil), but never gets too far cuz they fight. Milo is the dominate and he was here before Pencil, but this spraying started for the first time this year when the weather started to get nice and he started seeing more neighborhood cats outside the windows, which he has always loved to sit in since he knew how to get up to them. It's not his fault that the other cats can see him and he sees them, but he knows he cannot get to them and yes, he is marking his territory, but like I asked earlier, why now? Maybe because there are many more cats roaming around and living in the neighborhood? He wants to have more "friends" than Pencil to be around? LOL

They share a litter box and it is pretty big, so I don't think there is a problem there. I will look into getting some enzyme cleaner and spray to keep him from spraying if that is possible. I just hope there isn't a physical illness kind of problem with him. Maybe he needs to be caught up on his vaccines? Don't know.

Thanks again. I will let you know more later.

Judy

Thanks for the reply and advice mona! They are both neutered males and only Milo is spraying and sometimes he has tried to mount the other cat(Pencil), but never gets too far cuz they fight. Milo is the dominate and he was here before Pencil, but this spraying started for the first time this year when the weather started to get nice and he started seeing more neighborhood cats outside the windows, which he has always loved to sit in since he knew how to get up to them. It's not his fault that the other cats can see him and he sees them, but he knows he cannot get to them and yes, he is marking his territory, but like I asked earlier, why now? Maybe because there are many more cats roaming around and living in the neighborhood? He wants to have more "friends" than Pencil to be around? LOL

They share a litter box and it is pretty big, so I don't think there is a problem there. I will look into getting some enzyme cleaner and spray to keep him from spraying if that is possible. I just hope there isn't a physical illness kind of problem with him. Maybe he needs to be caught up on his vaccines? Don't know.

Thanks again. I will let you know more later.

Judy

If he was used to the other cats outside the window and didn't spray, then there is probably a new one coming around or there are just too many he can see now, but if you can prevent his seeing them, I can assure you, the spraying will stop. He may be attacking your other cat and trying to mount him because he is there and the only one he can get at. And I would definitely get another litter box, and ideally two more. You would be surprised how muich of an effect that will have on your cats. But, make sure to place them in different areas of your house, not all next to each other. The vaccine shouldn't matter, but a vet check wouldn't hurt. When he sprays, is it against a vertical surface? Does it smell worse than regular pee? Does his tail and hind legs quiver when he does it? If so, that IS spraying and marking his territory. They only do that when they feel threatened. Don't want to alarm you, but if you don't get it stopped quickly, he may begin attacking your other cat more and more and really hurting him. So, try to close the window shades for a while, and seriously, get more litter boxes because, you will be preventing some serious litter box issues BEFORE they crop up. This is a hot situation that can quickly turn a lot worse than it is if you don't get it ended quickly. Good luck!!!!