How fat is too fat?

I weighed around 220 and I just fit into the seat comfortably with the regular seatbelt.

My highest weight was 318 and I never had to use an extender or was asked to buy a second seat even though I frequented Southwest Airlines who are the inventors of that practice.

If you're really worried about it try and book a flight which has less chance of being filled such as an early morning or red-eye flight. With a little luck you'll have a row to yourself.

You are right to be concerned, I hate to say. I am 5'3" and was 272 when I flew. I was horribly paranoid about it and that is because I felt bad for the guy in the seat next to me. Yes, I fit in the seat and had to use a seat belt extender, but my arms were well into his side of the seat so I spent the whole flight trying to lean into the aisle to give him more room. My husband had an aisle seat also and was stuck sitting in 1/2 of a seat. The gal next to him was so huge she took up half his seat. She should have had to buy a second seat. We flew Delta and their seats seemed a lot bigger, so for that I was thankful. My paranoia about the whole trip was because of the plane, not the surgery, the darn plane. But, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, so don't worry. Just lean into the aisle.

You are right to be concerned, I hate to say. I am 5'3" and was 272 when I flew. I was horribly paranoid about it and that is because I felt bad for the guy in the seat next to me. Yes, I fit in the seat and had to use a seat belt extender, but my arms were well into his side of the seat so I spent the whole flight trying to lean into the aisle to give him more room. My husband had an aisle seat also and was stuck sitting in 1/2 of a seat. The gal next to him was so huge she took up half his seat. She should have had to buy a second seat. We flew Delta and their seats seemed a lot bigger, so for that I was thankful. My paranoia about the whole trip was because of the plane, not the surgery, the darn plane. But, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, so don't worry. Just lean into the aisle.

I just read that you are 240 so that should be ok. Don't worry!

...for a single Airplane seat.......Major fear of mine.

The girls are right, don't worry ahead of time...get an aisle seat if you can..and you always rest and sit a bit sideways, if you feel uncomfortable inposing on the person next to you...I pulled up the arm rest and put a leg in the aisle when the flight attendants weren't serving and I was just fine...you will be too!

Best of Luck on your journey...Cathy