Pre-Op Diet

I've read several posts that say Dr. Miranda has me on......

Did she contact you? How far in advance? I haven't heard from her yet. Should I contact her or should I just do the diet listed on the paperwork? The two shakes and lean cuisine and salad?

Thanks!

This board has been an AWESOME source of information and support already!

Lori set up a time for Dr. Miranda to call me. What she told me to eat is:

Protein shake - Slimfast Optima is one she named as an example and I really like them

Lean Cuisine for lunch and dinner

Salad - only green veggies - with the spray dressing. Just about every salad dressing makers have these now. I bought 4 different ones, a couple of Paul Newmans and a couple of others.

And if I absolutely am starving, soup and she suggested Minestrone soup. I bought Progresso Minestrone and tomato. So far I only had the tomato soup once.

I've been doing this for 4 weeks now and other than the first few days, it's been pretty darn easy.

I started at 326 1/2 and she wanted me to lose 17 pounds before surgery. I suspect people with less weight to lose are put on a different diet. I've lost 18 pounds as of today and my banding date is May 8. I'm shooting for a 25 pound loss by the time of surgery.

The thing that has made this diet doable for me is that Lean Cuisine makes so many many different dinners. The variety is HUGE. Everything from sandwiches, pasta, ethnic, veggie and meat & potatoes.

I have been practicing eating tiny bites and chewing them until they dissolve in my mouth. It takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour to eat one of those small Lean Cuisines! If I gobbled them down like normally would, I would be looking for something to eat right away. Since it takes me so long to eat, I'm perfectly full and not wanting anything else.

Good luck on your Pre-op diet!

Jena

GREAT JOB JENA! You are doing awesome girl!

Dr. Miranda never contacted me either and I had been doing my own pre-op diet for a month and when I emailed her to see if I had lost enough weight pre-op she said I was doing great and to keep it up. I think the standard guideline is she wants you to lose 5%-10% of your total body weight, so if you are over 300 or 400 I don't know if 2 weeks would be enough to lose 30-40 lbs so she might suggest those bandsters start early! I am not a phone person so I emailed her and she got back to me in less than 24hrs! Her email address is: drmiranda@obesitycontrolcenter.com

GREAT JOB JENA! You are doing awesome girl!

Dr. Miranda never contacted me either and I had been doing my own pre-op diet for a month and when I emailed her to see if I had lost enough weight pre-op she said I was doing great and to keep it up. I think the standard guideline is she wants you to lose 5%-10% of your total body weight, so if you are over 300 or 400 I don't know if 2 weeks would be enough to lose 30-40 lbs so she might suggest those bandsters start early! I am not a phone person so I emailed her and she got back to me in less than 24hrs! Her email address is: drmiranda@obesitycontrolcenter.com

Thanks MamaMichelle!

I email Dr. Miranda my weight every week so she can keep track of my weight loss. I told her last week that I had hired a personal trainer and started swimming lessons so I can swim laps. She emailed me back that she loves to swim. She's a very sweet lady and also very encouraging.

When I've told several people I'm going to Mexico for the surgery, after they get that horrified look off their faces. (y'all know what I mean, I'm sure), I tell them how the OCC is requiring me to lose weight and send my weight in every week and that seems to reassure them that I'm not going to some back ally surgeon. It makes me feel good about my decision as well.

Lori set up a time for Dr. Miranda to call me. What she told me to eat is:

Protein shake - Slimfast Optima is one she named as an example and I really like them

Lean Cuisine for lunch and dinner

Salad - only green veggies - with the spray dressing. Just about every salad dressing makers have these now. I bought 4 different ones, a couple of Paul Newmans and a couple of others.

And if I absolutely am starving, soup and she suggested Minestrone soup. I bought Progresso Minestrone and tomato. So far I only had the tomato soup once.

I've been doing this for 4 weeks now and other than the first few days, it's been pretty darn easy.

I started at 326 1/2 and she wanted me to lose 17 pounds before surgery. I suspect people with less weight to lose are put on a different diet. I've lost 18 pounds as of today and my banding date is May 8. I'm shooting for a 25 pound loss by the time of surgery.

The thing that has made this diet doable for me is that Lean Cuisine makes so many many different dinners. The variety is HUGE. Everything from sandwiches, pasta, ethnic, veggie and meat & potatoes.

I have been practicing eating tiny bites and chewing them until they dissolve in my mouth. It takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour to eat one of those small Lean Cuisines! If I gobbled them down like normally would, I would be looking for something to eat right away. Since it takes me so long to eat, I'm perfectly full and not wanting anything else.

Good luck on your Pre-op diet!

Jena

Wow Jena, you are doing fantastic, you'll get to 25 lbs pre-op no problem. My surgery date has not been booked yet..I am in Canada, but I have started a pre-op diet of my own in preparation for what's to come. I have my first consult with the surgeon on April 16/08. I have lost 6 lbs so far and hope to lose more before surgery as well.

I agree with you, this forum has been of great support..and loaded with information. Best of luck on May 8th and after!! You go girl!

Cathy

You only have to contact Dr. Miranda if you weigh over 250 lbs or your BMI is over 40. Otherwise, you just follow the pre-op diet on your papers. :rolleyes: