Those Complications CAN happen Banded 3/28/08

I was baned 3/28/08. Remember your surgeon or practitioner telling you about the risks of lap band surgery? Well, I do too, but never thought that I would be one of the 1% of people that it would happen too. But they Do happen let me assure you.

I went into the operatiing room about 11 am. The next thing I remember is being taking to my room and looking at a clock and seeing it was 6pm in the evening! That should have told me something right there. I was very groggy, but a hospital staff told me that my surgery was finished but my procedure went a 'little different' than expected. They then told me that I had "Open" surgery. The told me there was a complication in the operating room, and when the surgeon got all the instruments in me and started my proceedure, my spleen was nicked. (Remember...we were all told this could happen).

I was very groggy and really doped up at that time but also knew I was attached to a lot of instruments also that seemed a little strange. Well I slept then, and later woke up. When I woke up, I started feeling my body and then the realization sunk in what they had told me about my "Open" surgery. I had an incision from my breasts down to my belly button all stapled together along with all the other 4 incisions. I had tubes in my arms....tubes in my nose....and felt stiches along my jugular vein on the right side of my neck! Then I was scared and confused. I had a morphine pump also.

Well, to make a long story short...after I got in my right mind to understand things...here is what happened. When they got inside me, my spleen was nicked in the process of moving my liver to install the band. When your spleen is nicked or cut....you can bleed to death very quickly. It is a fact. I started to bleed to death, and that is why all the tubes in my arms, and my jugular vein was opened up for a blood transfusion because I lost so much blood. I have almost 40 metal staples in my belly after being sewn together from my lap band surgery. I am lucky to be alive. Yes mistakes can happen in any surgery, and did with mine. So don't ever take that little 'possible complication' lecture lightly when you are going through the pre-op process of getting your band. Complications are a fact that can happen to 1% of patients, and I was one of them.

Now I plan to recover from this and go on and do what I planned to do with my band. It is just going to take me much longer to recover from my "open" lap band Major Surgery proceedure than it would have the minimally invasive original lap band surgery.

I hope having my surgery will eventually start my journey to weight loss.

Annie Lou

Banded 3/28/08 :rolleyes:

Wow Annie-

Thanks for sharing your story, it is a sobering reminder that some times things do go wrong. Hopefully since it was the surgeon's fault they are covering the cost of your medical bills, it is a good thing they were able to act quickly and save your life.

I notice you are new to our forum so I am assuming Dr. Ortiz was NOT your surgeon especially since my girl Kimmie was banded the same day by Dr. Ortiz and she would mention something as serious as that! No worries we have bandsters posting here from all over the US and Canada and many choose to have the surgery closer to home.

After such a scary encounter I imagine I would feel that God (or some other higher power) felt that my life was worth saving and that I was meant to have the band and that I would be successful in my weight loss journey after such a harrowing start! I hope you feel the same way!!

Get better soon, and let us know if we can do anything for you!

I was baned 3/28/08. Remember your surgeon or practitioner telling you about the risks of lap band surgery? Well, I do too, but never thought that I would be one of the 1% of people that it would happen too. But they Do happen let me assure you.

I went into the operatiing room about 11 am. The next thing I remember is being taking to my room and looking at a clock and seeing it was 6pm in the evening! That should have told me something right there. I was very groggy, but a hospital staff told me that my surgery was finished but my procedure went a 'little different' than expected. They then told me that I had "Open" surgery. The told me there was a complication in the operating room, and when the surgeon got all the instruments in me and started my proceedure, my spleen was nicked. (Remember...we were all told this could happen).

I was very groggy and really doped up at that time but also knew I was attached to a lot of instruments also that seemed a little strange. Well I slept then, and later woke up. When I woke up, I started feeling my body and then the realization sunk in what they had told me about my "Open" surgery. I had an incision from my breasts down to my belly button all stapled together along with all the other 4 incisions. I had tubes in my arms....tubes in my nose....and felt stiches along my jugular vein on the right side of my neck! Then I was scared and confused. I had a morphine pump also.

Well, to make a long story short...after I got in my right mind to understand things...here is what happened. When they got inside me, my spleen was nicked in the process of moving my liver to install the band. When your spleen is nicked or cut....you can bleed to death very quickly. It is a fact. I started to bleed to death, and that is why all the tubes in my arms, and my jugular vein was opened up for a blood transfusion because I lost so much blood. I have almost 40 metal staples in my belly after being sewn together from my lap band surgery. I am lucky to be alive. Yes mistakes can happen in any surgery, and did with mine. So don't ever take that little 'possible complication' lecture lightly when you are going through the pre-op process of getting your band. Complications are a fact that can happen to 1% of patients, and I was one of them.

Now I plan to recover from this and go on and do what I planned to do with my band. It is just going to take me much longer to recover from my "open" lap band Major Surgery proceedure than it would have the minimally invasive original lap band surgery.

Annie Lou

Yes,, We'd like to know who this inexperienced surgeon was.. It's not that we don't know accidents do happen,, but a good rule of thumb is not to be lap banded by a surgeon that's only done the proceedure a few times.. I've heard the number 100 before I'd let a surgeon place a lapband. Experience counts!!! Big time.

Bless your heart!! Someone was definetly watching out for you!! I sure hope you're feeling better, you've got alot of healing to do!! We all certainly wish you all the best and please keep us updated on your progress, Best wishes, Darlene

Annie Lou

Oh my goodness, I am so glad you survived all of that. That's so unfortunate. I am concerned about having to get open surgery as well...I have had several surgeries in the past and accumulated scar tissue may cause a problem for the laproscopic surgery...I am hoping all goes well.

Well, the worst, hopefully is over...and you are on the road to recovery. Take care, Cathy

I am sorry to hear that you had to have a complication. I know that they can happen and praise the Lord that my went much more smoothly. What country did you get your band? I will pray for you to have a quick and health recovery. May God Bless you through your journey.

Bless your heart!! Someone was definetly watching out for you!! I sure hope you're feeling better, you've got alot of healing to do!! We all certainly wish you all the best and please keep us updated on your progress, Best wishes, Darlene

I am sorry to hear that you had to have a complication. I know that they can happen and praise the Lord that my went much more smoothly. What country did you get your band? I will pray for you to have a quick and health recovery. May God Bless you through your journey.

My band was done in the USA in Pennsylvania at a World renowned Medical Center that has a Bariatric Center of Excellence Rating.

Thanks for all the well wishes, and God Bless You all.

Annie Lou

Yes,, We'd like to know who this inexperienced surgeon was.. It's not that we don't know accidents do happen,, but a good rule of thumb is not to be lap banded by a surgeon that's only done the proceedure a few times.. I've heard the number 100 before I'd let a surgeon place a lapband. Experience counts!!! Big time.

Actually my surgeon was not inexperienced at all. He has done hundreds of banding surgeries. This hospital is world renowned, actually the artificial heart was invented here. Their Bariatric department is one of those "Centers of Excellence". Believe me, I checked his credentials out thoroughly before hand.

But you are informed of risks and complications that can happen during this surgery many times before hand. We all have the attitude that 'oh well things like that happen to other people', just like horrible car accidents or plane crashes. But sometimes they happen to you......and this was my experience.

So all I am saying is, pay close attention when your surgeon or his team tells you of these risks before you sign your papers, and consider if you are ready and willing to handle it. I look at it this way, .... if my surgeon WAS very inexperienced, I would not be alive to tell you my experience. He told me in all his years of surgery, I am the only patient that this has happened during surgery.

Annie Lou

Annie, I've read this story on other blogs. Since it's not Dr. Ortiz, you should make that very clear at the first of your letter. Unfortuntely, this can happen with any laparoscopy surgery- gallbladder, etc. I hope you're doing better.

My band was done in the USA in Pennsylvania at a World renowned Medical Center that has a Bariatric Center of Excellence Rating.

Thanks for all the well wishes, and God Bless You all.

Annie Lou

Is this the center in Harrisburg? I'm also from Pa., but had my surgery done by Dr. Ortiz. I am looking for a fill Doc here in Pa. Please keep us updated!! ><' Darlene

Annie, I've read this story on other blogs. Since it's not Dr. Ortiz, you should make that very clear at the first of your letter. Unfortuntely, this can happen with any laparoscopy surgery- gallbladder, etc. I hope you're doing better.

Oh, I am sorry. I did not realize this Forum was just for Dr. Ortiz. I won't bother you all anymore, after I reply. I will just lurk and read about

others experiences. I have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Ortiz.

Sorry

Oh, I am sorry. I did not realize this Forum was just for Dr. Ortiz. I won't bother you all anymore, after I reply. I will just lurk and read about

others experiences. I have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Ortiz.

Sorry

Annie,

Even though most of us here are patients of the OCC (Dr. Ortiz) it does not mean you are not welcome to join us. Please feel free to keep posting and become part of our family for support. I think that the person who asked you to state who your surgeon only meant to imply that others here would want to know so they weren't scared to go to Dr. Ortiz. Yes, he is wonderful. Again, I am sorry about your experience but you are right.....it could happen to anyone even with an experienced surgeon.

God Bless,

Gina

No, Darlene, this is Hershey Pa.

Bye

AnnieLou,

PLEASE don't leave this or any other discussion on this forum, ANYONE can come on here to talk, tell their stories or ask for advice!! I'm glad to have heard your story, I didn't read it on any other forum. [i've only visited 2] It just reminded me how serious this operation is and that everyone should think long and hard before having ANY surgery done. Thank you AnnieLou, and please keep us [me] updated!! Sincerely, Darlene =D>

PACIFICNW

Maybe it is the way I am reading your post, but it comes across like you seem to doubt my banding surgery experience. I only posted my experience so others would really think about their surgery and make sure this is something they really wanted and to consider everything good, bad, and everything in between including risks and complications, because it is not like they are impossible to happen.

I am not angry about my situation at all, and have a positive outlook on my weight loss journey in spite of having to go through it a harder way. I thank God I was in an experienced facility so that when this complication arose, they were able to save me, and still put in my band.

I assure you, I only posted my surgery story for the benefit of others. If you are in disbelief, well that is yours and yours alone to deal with.

Annie Lou

PACIFICNW

Maybe it is the way I am reading your post, but it comes across like you seem to doubt my banding surgery experience. I only posted my experience so others would really think about their surgery and make sure this is something they really wanted and to consider everything good, bad, and everything in between including risks and complications, because it is not like they are impossible to happen.

I am not angry about my situation at all, and have a positive outlook on my weight loss journey in spite of having to go through it a harder way. I thank God I was in an experienced facility so that when this complication arose, they were able to save me, and still put in my band.

I assure you, I only posted my surgery story for the benefit of others. If you are in disbelief, well that is yours and yours alone to deal with.

Annie Lou

You go girl!! =D> :D :-h

Dear AnnieLou,

I am so sorry you had such a horrible experience, and as you pointed out it can and does happen anywhere. I think you are super to tell it on this blog and you do not have to go away. This blog is for everyone and you need to continue to help all of us by letting us know how you are healing and how you feel and let us know when you are down so we can help to pick you up. This blog has so many wonderful caring people on it, me being one ><' and I want you to understand we really want you to continue writing on it.

Your attitude is great, you are still looking forward to why we all had this surgery and I really believe because of this, you will become a success story. Are you home now, how long did they say the healing will take; and how do you feel physically and mentally?

Please write to all of us, but if you ever feel the need to just talk to one person, my email address is hmparis78@gmail.com. Drop me a line and I will send you my phone number.

My best, Helen

:-h :D ><':lol::rolleyes::blink:

Dear AnnieLou,

I am so sorry you had such a horrible experience, and as you pointed out it can and does happen anywhere. I think you are super to tell it on this blog and you do not have to go away. This blog is for everyone and you need to continue to help all of us by letting us know how you are healing and how you feel and let us know when you are down so we can help to pick you up. This blog has so many wonderful caring people on it, me being one ><' and I want you to understand we really want you to continue writing on it.

Your attitude is great, you are still looking forward to why we all had this surgery and I really believe because of this, you will become a success story. Are you home now, how long did they say the healing will take; and how do you feel physically and mentally?

Please write to all of us, but if you ever feel the need to just talk to one person, my email address is hmparis78@gmail.com. Drop me a line and I will send you my phone number.

My best, Helen

:-h :D ><':lol::rolleyes::blink:

Hi Helen,

Yes I am home now from my 3/28 surgery. I was in the hospital for 6 days. I get my staples out tomorrow 4/8. Should I say 'ouch' for all 30 something of them coming out? LOL. Mentally I feel pretty good, maybe a little slower on the uptake than usual. But physically I must say I am very sore and hurting strong yet. But that is to be expected. I can't sleep in bed yet, because it is too painful to rollover because it pulls to much on my belly at this point yet, and I don't need the extra pain. So I get comfy in my bedroom recliner which is very comfortable actually. I am looking forward to the day when I can sleep in my bed again and have the strength in my belly muscles to roll over well. I admit I am very weak yet. And I get up and walk around as many times a day as I can to get some strenth, but must admit any little chore tires me out quickly. (When you are age 57, it takes longer to recover from surgery than someone 20 or 30 years younger). :rolleyes: But I must be patient and let myself heal. I want to be successful at my weight loss, even though it is going to take longer than usual to recover. My Doctor says it probably will take a good 6 weeks to get back up to fairly full speed again. :-?

Annie Lou

Sorry to hear about your surgery complications, I'm sure it was horrifying to wake up after a seemingly minor surgery and face what you had to face. I had to have surgery to remove a fibroid tumor and was warned before going to surgery that if the Doc couldn't remove it by lap he would have to open me up. Well...he had to open me up and I can tell you that even though he had been very candid about the possibility I still went into surgery convinced that I would get off easy and only require lap, I wasn't at all prepared to wake up from major surgery.

I had my lapband done by Ortiz in March and was very happy with the experience but AnnieLou's experience does raise a concern that I had before traveling to OCC. How would AnnieLou's complication been handled by Ortiz? Would she have been transferred to a hospital?

I know we all have glowing experiences but this is a reality and I'm curious as to what the procedure is for complications at OCC.

Anybody know?

SJ

Thanks for posting your experience Annie Lou. I am so sorry for your complication. I too was concerned about complications that would require an open procedure. Thank God everything went well with me though and Thank God you were taken such good care of. Although you were part of the 1% for your physician that does not mean that he was inexperienced or incompetent. Even Dr. Ortiz has those 1% complications. Someone has to fall in that category. I am so sorry it was you. Please keep us posted on your progress and recovery. You will be in my prayers.

I was not doubting your experience, only hoping people would not think it's Dr. Ortiz who was your surgeon. And you're welcome to stay here, post and read. It's a great place to learn. Please let us know how you're doing. Hugs, Pacific NW

PACIFICNW

Annie Lou

Dear Annie Lou,

I think you misunderstood Darlene. Darlene meant for you to keep coming back to this forum... keep posting ....keep us updated about your journey... NOT that she doesn't believe you... :)

I want to say thank you for reminding us the reality of surgery. Although this is the least invasive (lapband) of all weight loss surgery it is still a major surgery. These things are what my husband and family were thinking of.. that's why my daugher wouldn't let me go by myself... bless her heart. I thank God too that you were in a facility that was able to take care of your needs once the spleen was nicked... I'll pray for your continued recovery, thank you for sharing. You brave girl!!!

Blessings.. can you email me in private as to who this doctor was... if you don't mind... just curious 'cause your posting says "PacificNW" on top.

Hanna :)

Hi Annie Lou,

Sorry to hear you are still in lots of pain, but I guess we must believe "this too shall pass". I am 64 and thought: What am I doing, then said what the heck. I lost my husband two years ago and told myself he wanted me to be thin, so I would do it for him also. I didn't tell one daughter till after because of her fears and the one daughter I did tell thought I was nutty - which i am. But, I feel like you - if we finally have an opportunity to get thin, we have to go for it. You are taking your complications better than most and I certainly commend you for it. Your body WILL heal and then you WILL be thin. Hurrah!

So try to keep smiling and write me and remember each day that passes you are getting thinner - hopefully that will help somewhat.

I'm off to bed now because I am hungry - they say you don't get physically hungry the first week, but I'm here to make a liar out of them. I've sucked on more popsicles these past 5 days than I have in 5 years. I'll probably gain weight - won't that be a hoot!

Be happy,

my best, Helen ><'

I think you misunderstood Darlene.. she means keep coming back to this forum... keep posting ....keep us updated about your journey... NOT that she doesn't believe you... :)

I want to say thank you for reminding us the reality of surgery. Although this is the least invasive (lapband) of all weight loss surgery it is still a major surgery. These things are what my husband and family were thinking of.. that's why my daugher wouldn't let me go by myself... bless her heart. I thank God too that you were in a facility that was able to take care of your needs once the spleen was nicked... I'll pray for your continued recovery, thank you for sharing. You brave girl!!!

Blessings.. can you email me in private as to who this doctor was... if you don't mind... just curious 'cause your posting says "PacificNW" on top.

Hanna :)

I think you mean AnnaLou....... I'm Darlene :-h

I think you mean AnnaLou....... I'm Darlene :-h

Yes ... I did mean Anna Lou... it was addressed for her but I was defending you!!! Heck, let me correct it, so there will not be any further confusion.

Hanna

(corrected/edited... I think that's better) :lol: