Ok so I just threw up...

Well it's 2:45 am in Vegas right now.

Tonight my husband and I had a babysitter so we went out to a movie and afterwards we went to a bar to have a drink. I had maybe 1/2 a glass of wine at 10:30pm and then on the way home we stopped at Raising Cain's Chicken Fingers and I got a kids meal but only ate about 3/4ths of ONE chicken finger with some of their signature sauce... this was about 12:30am.

So I get home, watch big brother and get online to check the forum at about 2:00am, while I am sitting here I start feeling nauseous... I am thinking since all I had was the chicken finger since dinner at 7:00 maybe I needed to eat more. But I kind of ignored it and kept reading/posting then about 2:20 I let out this huge burp and instantly felt really sick, I ran to the sink and threw up 3 times. It was all liquid chicken and sauce, yes I am a great chewer, lol. Because there was not a single chunk and since it was 2hrs after eating, and there was no pain I don't think it was a PB from something being stuck. It was just so weird..

Once I threw up I drank some Maalox and feel better, there's no pain but I am still burping. My nose is running now and I feel a little nauseous still but I guess I will go to bed..

Anyone have any idea what could have caused this? Maybe since I haven't had wine in almost 8 weeks my tolerance is that low? Or maybe there was an air bubble or something? I have yet to have a PB experience so maybe that's what it was, but most of the classic symptoms were absent!

I'm stumped!

P.S. My very supportive husband was holding my hair back while I got sick and then told me I needed to go lie down... I told him "Just let me go post about this on the board and then I will get in bed..." He just rolled his eyes, :rolleyes: lol

Tonight my husband and I had a babysitter so we went out to a movie and afterwards we went to a bar to have a drink. I had maybe 1/2 a glass of wine at 10:30pm and then on the way home we stopped at Raising Cain's Chicken Fingers and I got a kids meal but only ate about 3/4ths of ONE chicken finger with some of their signature sauce... this was about 12:30am.

So I get home, watch big brother and get online to check the forum at about 2:00am, while I am sitting here I start feeling nauseous... I am thinking since all I had was the chicken finger since dinner at 7:00 maybe I needed to eat more. But I kind of ignored it and kept reading/posting then about 2:20 I let out this huge burp and instantly felt really sick, I ran to the sink and threw up 3 times. It was all liquid chicken and sauce, yes I am a great chewer, lol. Because there was not a single chunk and since it was 2hrs after eating, and there was no pain I don't think it was a PB from something being stuck. It was just so weird..

Once I threw up I drank some Maalox and feel better, there's no pain but I am still burping. My nose is running now and I feel a little nauseous still but I guess I will go to bed..

Anyone have any idea what could have caused this? Maybe since I haven't had wine in almost 8 weeks my tolerance is that low? Or maybe there was an air bubble or something? I have yet to have a PB experience so maybe that's what it was, but most of the classic symptoms were absent!

I'm stumped!

P.S. My very supportive husband was holding my hair back while I got sick and then told me I needed to go lie down... I told him "Just let me go post about this on the board and then I will get in bed..." He just rolled his eyes, :rolleyes: lol

Hi Mamamichelle,

Maybe it was too greasy for your system to handle so soon. I hope you feel better soon...Cathy

Good morning,

my best friend was banded 1.5 years ago and she has that problem when she can't help it and eat something like chicken nuggets or any kind of fried stuff except french fries LOL ... don't know if it helps

BTW ... your new pic ..... you look stunning !!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>

Hope you feel better!

*Ute*

Michelle, Is this the first time you have had chicken since the band? If not, I would probably bet on the wine. If so, then maybe it was the chicken but that just does not sound likely since you only ate 3/4 of 1 chicken tender. How did you feel after the wine? Any head spinning or anything like that? Who knows maybe it was the combination of the two.

I hope you are feeling better this morning. I bet the vomiting scared you. I am terrified of gettting a virus or getting sick....esp. since I am a nurse and am around so much sickness. I have just read so much about people getting sick/vomiting and their band slipping - even after 1 or 2 years post op. But anyway - keep us posted.

where is clynn or snowbird when you need them! hahaha I am stumped as well....maybe it just didnt sit well. I drank about 1/2 a glass of wine about 2 weeks ago and I WANTED TO DIE! I felt- HORRIBLE! I didnt throw up, but i was pale and achy.... I havent touched it since. I had not eaten though, i bet if I did, I wouldve thrown up.

Since you arent in any pain, I doubt that you did any damage to the band. Hope you had a good date night!

I think that the super greasy food was mostly to blame but I didn't have much in my stomach for the day so maybe the wine did play a part:

7am Optifast Shake

1pm 2 Chicken Lettuce wraps

7pm Optfast Shake and two tater tots stolen from my son's dinner (bad me, have to stop the "mommy grazing")

I don't usually eat greasy foods but I was hungry late that night.. I have had chicken before we actually ate there about 1 1/2 weeks ago (it's my husbands favorite) and I had 1.25 chicken strips and about 3 fries with no problems but I promise I will NEVER be eating there again. If you don't have that chain where you live they ONLY have chicken strips and french fries, no salads no burgers so it's really not a place I should even walk into!!

I am feeling better this morning, still kind of nauseous but I drank some water slowly and will make myself a shake in a few min...

Wow, I agree your picture is stunning you look beautiful. But that is a very weird experience and I bet you are right, the combination of the greasy food which you aren't used to any more and the glass of wine which is probably alot for your system to handle right now took its toll. But everyday we can learn something new and thank you MammaMichelle from saving us all from a horrible experience due to chicken nuggets and wine haha!

On another note I too had a odd experience the day after my surgery at the airport. I was feeling very yucky and was forcing myself to sip sip sip but after a couple of minutes I all the sudden became way nauseated and my mouth started watering and we all know what that means. In a bout two second I had burp/threw up/PB I dunno but it luckily was just a small amount of water and haven't had an incidence since. So was this a PB? It didn't cause any pain but was very awkward, especially in the middle of a crowded airport!

God bless and keep up the great work

Jacklyn

Yuck! You know, I have had those 3 instances of horrible vomitting and not a single one can really be explained. I do remember reading that after banding you body absorbes alcohol much quicker so that may have been it. I also know that you should probably go back on fluids for a few days to get your stomach back the right way. At least thats what Dr. Martinez told me to do after I vomit. Vomitting instantly swells the stomach and eating more food will only intensify that. So, I would suggest fluids only for a few days to be safe.

You might want to call the OC just to let them know simply because I think they would want to know. Vomitting (for reasons other than eating too big a bite or too fast) is unusual and it seems that there a more and more of us having that problem. For me, all 3 times I was still on liquids, and the Doctos found that highly unusual. They kept asking me if I ate anything and I didn't. The first 2 times I was still on clear liquids 2 days after surgery. The next time I had just graduated to creamy soups in week 2 and no food yet. I just think the OC would want to keep track of that, so I'd call them.

And geesh, hope it doesn't happen again and that you are feeling better.

Hi, this is sufina from portland or but i used to live in vegas 20 years; getting lb may 7. what is pb???

I am sorry sweetie!

The combination of food and wine was probably just too much on your belly. ><'

Hi, this is sufina from portland or but i used to live in vegas 20 years; getting lb may 7. what is pb???

PB is a productive burp, it's your body's way of clearing out any food that gets stuck in the band.

Another Vegas girl, yea! Are you getting banded by Dr. Ortiz?

Wow, I agree your picture is stunning you look beautiful. But that is a very weird experience and I bet you are right, the combination of the greasy food which you aren't used to any more and the glass of wine which is probably alot for your system to handle right now took its toll. But everyday we can learn something new and thank you MammaMichelle from saving us all from a horrible experience due to chicken nuggets and wine haha!

Chicken Strips and Wine, gee that makes me sound like a Classy Chick, lol!!!

On another note I too had a odd experience the day after my surgery at the airport. I was feeling very yucky and was forcing myself to sip sip sip but after a couple of minutes I all the sudden became way nauseated and my mouth started watering and we all know what that means. In a bout two second I had burp/threw up/PB I dunno but it luckily was just a small amount of water and haven't had an incidence since. So was this a PB? It didn't cause any pain but was very awkward, especially in the middle of a crowded airport!

God bless and keep up the great work

Jacklyn

I had a horrible airport experience too... I was banded on 2/28 and I flew home on 3/2, I felt fine until the morning of the plane ride home-

I had to be in the lobby at 4:00am to go back across the border (our flight was at 8 but another bandster had a 6:30 am flight) I felt some nausea in the morning so I decided to get at hot tea from starbucks, I got the 12oz (small) which I thought was no big deal but I was wrong!!

I was feeling fine after drinking about half of it (using a spoon as not to go too fast), but old habits die hard and my brain said I needed to finish the whole thing... it was obviously wayyyy too much for my band so soon... and man I paid the price as I was soooo miserable! For the 2 hrs before our flight took off and all during the 1hr flight had a horrible burping/nausea episode (again maybe it was a PB even though I was only on liquids) It was so awful that gave me some serious second thoughts about getting the darn thing but I was fine after that 3 hours and until last night everything has been perfect!!

That is so true MammaMichelle old habits do die hard and it seems that they are always tested in awkward situations. (throwing up in the crowded airport haha)

But don't worry about the chicken fingers and wine....I'm sure we have all done it at some point....or worse! Oddly enough it sounds pretty good right now...could just be the bandster hell talking tho!

good luck and I hope you feel better,

Jacklyn

Hi Mamamichelle

I'm glad you're feeling better. Just to change the subject how tall are you? and how much are you exercising.You are doing so fantastic.

Nicolek

Thanks sweetie,

I am 5'4 (though Dr. Miranda measured me at 5'3 and 1/2 but I refuse to accept that)! I think my driver's license says 5'5 because in Texas they don't measure you they just ask your height and when I got it at 16 I thought that was how tall I was... Eeeek Maybe I am shrinking?? lol

I was on the treadmill about 4 days a week, maybe 30min to an hour 4 days a week from the end of week 3 till about the start of week 5.. Now it's more like twice a week I need to get my butt moving again!

Michelle,

How much incline do you use on the treadmill and at what speed? I do around 3.0 incline and 3.0 speed for a half hour, and I am only burning 250 calories that way. =/ I'd like to know what speed and incline you use without getting too much irrititation to your core (abdomen) area.

When I walk I do incline of 2.0 and a speed of 3.0 I do that for about 45min for maximum fat burning potential. When I jog I do no incline 0.0 and a speed of 4.5 to 5.0 depending on how I am feeling.

I am sorry sweetie!

The combination of food and wine was probably just too much on your belly. ><'

I am getting my first fill on May 5th. I am very excited and a little afraid of getting it filled. I have hardly had any problem with any food. I am really chewing my food so maybe that is what is making the difference for me. I have only lost 15 lbs since being banded on March 11th. I have started working out doing cardio to get my metabolism going. What are you doing to keep your weight loss going?

Maytee

My husband has been doing taxes for the last three days, so my computer use is pretty sparse.

Michelle, sounds to me like a pb episode. Mine are like regular vomiting, except what comes up is not digested and mixed with stomach acids so it's not quite as gross. Maybe you got some chicken stuck but you didn't eat enough to trigger the pb episode for a while after you ate. I would think if you were really sick from what you ate, it would have happened repeatedly. It is very hard for many to people to really vomit with a band, and can cause a lot of pain and damage, so if it wasn't particularly nasty I would guess it was a pb type episode.

Just consider it a warning to take it easy when trying new foods after your surgery.

Michelle,

Wow... I'm glad you are feeling better! That was very weird... We're not drinkers, my husband and myself. But for heart health benefits we were going to try to start drinking a glass of red wine for dinner. Now I'm kinda scared... I was thinking red wine before starting our meals.. but now I'm reluctant. I never tolerated alcohol well when I was younger. I'd have one of those Boonesfarm Strawberry Hill and break out in hives all over my neck and back, but 24 hours later it would be gone... I just remember it had a hot feel to it and it would itch!

Oh and the chicken fingers thing. My little kids and I used to buy fried chicken at Fred Meyer (grocery store in the NW) at least once or twice a week. I still like to eat the wings... they're crunchy and flavorfull (code word for high in fat and cholesterol! LOL!). I have to kill old habits or I'll be in trouble. I want these little ones to have a good role model in healthy eating, especially since diabetes runs in my family! I am still learning... I have head knowledge but some things I do just seems to happen automatically and I really am trying harder to be self aware of these bad habits and changing them for life. Stick with whatever you're doing 'cause you are doing so well!!

Hanna =D>

I'm stumped!

Good morning MamaMichelle,

I hope you are feeling better...you know what amazes me...how "Ok so I just threw up" gets this type of reaction..it's amazing how everyone comes together on this forum to help each other out...I am so glad I joined. I haven't been banded yet, hoping soon...and can't tell you how informative this forum has been...I am going to my first surgical consult next week and will be very well informed and prepared for the next step.

Cudos to all the great ladies!!! Have a great day!! Cathy

• 1 year later...

I'm stumped!

I'm sorry But You cracked me up just now........ LOL