Gaining weight

Fatcat

Thanks Clynn,

I did lose five lbs since I was banded and then for no reason?? gained back 2 1/2 this am; I was just wondering if I am drinking the wrong foods. More exactly if I am not having enough calories - I probably only have 500 or so a day.

Should I be trying to drink more caloric liquids?

Helen ><'

By the way Clynn, I just noticed how much weight you have lost! You must be so proud of yourself. Congratulations!!!!!. Do you find it easy to live with the band now that so much time has passed since you were first banded? Inquiring minds want to know - ha ha

And can you eat a decent amount (enough to keep you healthy and happy) of real food now without gaining weight?

Best,

Helen ><'

Thanks Clynn,

I did lose five lbs since I was banded and then for no reason?? gained back 2 1/2 this am; I was just wondering if I am drinking the wrong foods. More exactly if I am not having enough calories - I probably only have 500 or so a day.

Should I be trying to drink more caloric liquids?

Helen ><'

Your body will shut down and hold on to calories if you eat less that 1000 calories for a week or longer, I hit a plateau and stopped losing after about 8 days then I bumped my calories up to 1000-1200 and the weight loss started up again.

As for the 2.5 gain overnight I would say either you are retaining water from all of the sodium coming from the soup diet or if you will be starting your period in the next week then I would attribute it to water retention.

Like Clynn said the post-op/pre-fill time frame is meant for healing any weight loss is just a bonus!!

By the way Clynn, I just noticed how much weight you have lost! You must be so proud of yourself. Congratulations!!!!!. Do you find it easy to live with the band now that so much time has passed since you were first banded? Inquiring minds want to know - ha ha

And can you eat a decent amount (enough to keep you healthy and happy) of real food now without gaining weight?

Best,

Helen ><'

When I was at the point you are I was more concerned with how I was feeling than what the scale said. So then, how do you feel? Do you feel sluggish, tired, and lacking energy? If so, take in some more calories and proteins. The scale reading will be chaotic and an unreliable indicator of how you're doing until you get back on solids.

Now that I've been banded awhile I feel that my mind has adjusted as well. It's kind of difficult to explain but I'll give it a try. I just subconsciously go through life and a banded person. I don't need to count how many times I chew, I just chew and my mind is trained to know when it is enough. Foods like bread and pasta which cause problems are distasteful to me and hold no appeal anymore. Sometimes I look fondly on the memory of it being pleasurable, but it's kind of like looking at your childhood. I have fond memories of playing with toys, but I'm not going to start spending my free time playing with plastic dinosaurs and horses (curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!).

Right now my band's pretty loose so getting enough calories is not a problem, but when I have proper restriction it is something I have to watch out for. I don't count calories but if I start feeling down or sluggish I look back at what I've eaten over the last couple of days. Oftentimes I find I haven't eaten enough greens or protein, so I seek that out in my next meal and feel better. There's probably a better way to do that but I'm far too lazy.

Hi Clynn,

Yes I have been feeling sluggish and decided to take in my protein. I added my shake powder (30 gms) to my soup that I pureed - can't say it tasted great, but I think it was a good idea. Today I went shopping with a friend and we walked on the beach and I felt pretty good. I don't though, as yet, have energy enough to want to exercise. My daughter pointed out that I was going to be depressed from lack of solid food as I use it as a big gratifier. I lost my husband two years ago, and food was the only thing I really enjoy since then -

I guess I have to take it one day at a time. It's going ok, and I did drop the 2 1/2 lbs again - do think it was the salty soups and I decided not to pay attention to the scale as you all suggest. My shoulder ache is now on and off; just when I think it's gone, it comes back like a thunderbolt! :blink:

Helen ><'