Depressed

I read everyone's posts and I want to feel like you but I just don't today. I hear my mother's words,"If you don't have anything nice (or happy or positive) to say...." So my "training" says to be quiet until I have a more positive outlook. Tonight I was thinking that being quiet is probably how I got so fat.

Anyway, day seven not smoking after the surgery was postponed. I would have been one week banded but now I have to wait. I had lost the pre op weight and now I am back up 6 pounds. At this rate, I will have managed to quit smoking but gained back all the weight.

I know I am just in a whining mood but maybe if I let the feelings out, I won't give in to the eating cycle.

Thanks for listening. :ph34r:

I read everyone's posts and I want to feel like you but I just don't today. I hear my mother's words,"If you don't have anything nice (or happy or positive) to say...." So my "training" says to be quiet until I have a more positive outlook. Tonight I was thinking that being quiet is probably how I got so fat.

Anyway, day seven not smoking after the surgery was postponed. I would have been one week banded but now I have to wait. I had lost the pre op weight and now I am back up 6 pounds. At this rate, I will have managed to quit smoking but gained back all the weight.

I know I am just in a whining mood but maybe if I let the feelings out, I won't give in to the eating cycle.

Thanks for listening. :ph34r:

Let it out hon, you'll feel better talking about it. Besides, we aren't co-workers, distant relatives, or that person you pass in the hallways occassionally. We are members of a support forum, and if we ran out of people needing support it would get boring fast. . . um, not that I have anything against you guys or anything. I was just pointing out that . . .

Nevermind.

Given your post it sounds like there's plenty of frustrations in your life. The smoking is a bigger issue than losing the pre-op weight so kudos to you there. It is probably a major factor in you gaining the weight back. Some good advice I was given was to try doing something to relieve your frustration that isn't eating and that will keep your hands busy. Of course, come back here when you need to let off some steam.

Sorry to hear about your struggles...

Don't bottle it up... SHOUT IT OUT!!

We are all here to support each other and quitting smoking has been a big issue for a lot of other bandsters! You are taking the first steps to CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER!! It's going to be hard but if you just think of it as a few weeks of misery in exchange for years added to your life hopefully it will add a little perspective to your struggles...

Thank you ladies!! I appreciate the support.

I think I have allowed this mood long enough. I will be banded in 9 more days and that is not too long to wait. To kick a habit that has controlled me for 19 years IS something to celebrate and, after the the surgery, I will have two reasons to celebrate. The glass is way more than half full.

Thanks again so very much. :rolleyes:

Thank you ladies!! I appreciate the support.

I think I have allowed this mood long enough. I will be banded in 9 more days and that is not too long to wait. To kick a habit that has controlled me for 19 years IS something to celebrate and, after the the surgery, I will have two reasons to celebrate. The glass is way more than half full.

Thanks again so very much. :rolleyes:

You deserve a big hug and a pat on the back. From what I have read, you gain weight when you quit smoking because smoking irritates the intestinal tract and limits food absorption, so when you stop you absorb more food. In other words, you are gaining weight BECAUSE you are doing so well with the smoking. Don't let it get to you.

Hi Wendy,

Your attitude is great - I think that your realizing that giving up cigarettes is one of the best things you can do. You should feel happy and proud. You deserve it. I smoked from age 17 till my granddaughter was born 21 years ago and I am still so proud I was able to give up such a nasty habit.

Don't be too hard on yourself for gaining the weight back. I was 1 lb heavier and so upset when I met Dr. Miranda but she was totally understanding. I did try to lose some weight, but I had relatives visiting from another state and it was impossible to diet while entertaining etc. Well, at least I thought it was -

Anyway, keep up the good spirits - they will work in your favor. We are all cheering you on.

Helen ><'

Hugs, Hun,

Any major life change results in a little depression, and you are going through two of them - quiting smoking and lapband surgery. I think you are handling things GREAT!

One thing my therapist has told me repeatedly is that if I am feeling depressed, to leave the house and do something that I have never done before or haven't done in a long time. I have gone to the library that just opened, gone shopping at stores I never have been to, gone to the park and fed the ducks, found a garden at the museum and wandered through it.... you get the idea.

Hang in there!

Anytime you need to whine, complain, or just generally let off steam....come here...I am glad that I found a wonderful group of people to support me through this and you have too..........

Everybody has already said it so well, but Wendy I will say it again. CONGRATULATIONS you have started controlling a very addictive substance in order to gain control of your life. You are going to do great and having to overcome all of these challenges will make the results feel that much more amazing. Keep your head up you are doing wonderfully. And yes that is what we are all here for to make everybody feel they have somewhere to turn. Good luck sweetie you can do it!