which pre-op diet?

I was looking at the 3 different options for the pre-op diet and I think I want to go with the Atkins induction. It would be extremely difficult to just drink 3 protein shakes a day. I lost 80lbs on Atkins before and I'm very comfortable with the Induction phase. Of course it will have to be tweaked because atkins allowed fats and told you to eat if you need to. The beautiful thing about this diet is that you lose all cravings a few days into the diet. Of course cutting back on the fat might make a difference.

What option did you follow? Did you still have coffee?

Hello, I followed the 2 shakes and one lean cuisine diet. I don't know if Dr. Miranda tells people which diet to use or not [she never contacted me, I just picked that one.] And yes, I did still have coffee with non dairy creamer. Dr. Ortiz doesn't want his coffee drinkers to get headaches. I had a cup the morning after my surgery at the OCC. :girl_dance:

Gotta have the Joe!! :rolleyes: Darlene

Hi Sunshinegirl,

I lost 18 pounds on my preop diet. I did this for three weeks. I chose the 2 shakes and 1 lean cuisine meal a day diet but was told I could have a green salad with tomatoes, green peppers and mushrooms, so this is exactly what I had:

Breakfast (always) - 1 Slim Fast Optima Milk Chocolate shake. I would put it in the freezer for about an hour so it would taste like a McDonalds' chocolate milk shake and I actually enjoyed it! I usually drank this with a "fun" straw .. a pink staw with a flamingo on it, etc. Somehow, this helped ;)

Lunch - if I ate lunch at the office I had a lean cuisine (my favorite was the meatloaf and mashed potatoes). If I went out to lunch with friends, I ordered a small salad/side salad and they almost always had the items I could have: Lettuce, green peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms. I used very little dressing, if any, but once in a while used salsa as a dressing. I would always ask them to leave off the cheese and carrots.

Dinner: If I had a salad for lunch, I had a lean cuisine for dinner. If I had a lean cuisine for lunch, I had a shake for dinner. Don't forger the "fun" straw!

I really didn't find it necessary to snack on anything between meals.

I drank a lot of diet lemonaide and water. Special K Protien Water and Crystel Light packs. Gave up diet Coke, quit salting my food at the table, and got my chocolate fix from the shakes.

I hope this helps.

I was looking at the 3 different options for the pre-op diet and I think I want to go with the Atkins induction. It would be extremely difficult to just drink 3 protein shakes a day. I lost 80lbs on Atkins before and I'm very comfortable with the Induction phase. Of course it will have to be tweaked because atkins allowed fats and told you to eat if you need to. The beautiful thing about this diet is that you lose all cravings a few days into the diet. Of course cutting back on the fat might make a difference.

What option did you follow? Did you still have coffee?

I did the two shakes and a lean cusine.. ive read that a few ppl on here didnt drop enough weight on the atkins diet....so id be careful. as for fighting cravings....well its really hard, and it really sucks, but its so worth it to train yourself for whats to come. i have CONTROL for the first time in my life of what i eat. i bought a gallon of ice cream last night, had a 2 teaspoons and then forgot the rest at a friends house..and im totally fine. before i was eating a gallon in like 4 days!!!! Its hard, but its all in your mind! good luck its a rocky road ahead- but worth every struggle- trust me!

Did you purposely "forget" the ice-cream?? :rolleyes: I am not starting my pre-op for another week or so.. being banded on May 15th, but when I was trying to lose weight before, I did on having an atkins advantage shake for breakfast, lien cuisine or french onion soup for lunch, and a "smaller" somewhat healthier dinner. No snacking. Of course lots of water. This is the hardest part for me, especially during the day, as I have a desk job, and sometimes have 3 back to back 1 hour appt's, so it's very difficult for me to keep running to the bathroom all the time!