Creamy Soups

Ok so today is day 9 post-op and I feel really good. Yesterday, I started creamy soups with Campbells Select creamy potato, cheese and broccoli 1/2 cup and no more. LOVED IT, I ate only the creamy portions and nothing else. So today, I bought Campbells Select Chicken and Dumplings and couldn't resisit the potatoes and carrots so I got a forked and pureed the whole serving (1/2 cup) and it was DELICIOUS. i thought i was going to regret it, but no gas, no painful chest, nada! I also had 1 small serving (pre-packaged small cup) of Motts applesause later this evening and again no probs! Would you consider this cheating? According to Dr. Miranda we shouldn't have piece of fruit in our yogurt or chunks in the creamy soups, but I did puree it...what do ya'll think?

I am drinking my liquids and had Optifast for breakfast and don't have any probs feeling satisfied. I save all the "extras" for another day and appreciate the fact that i can eat more than clear liquids and yogurt. I only eat 1/2 cup or 2/3 cup of eating "liquids" at a time. I know the idea is not to stretch the pouch, so I am keeping track with my measuring cup. Stil walking and loving it.

Thanks for "listening".

Hey - according to Dr. Miranda - ANYTHING - that can be sucked through a straw is ok in the liquid period. I am sure if you pureed the chunks in the soups (as many people do) you were able to suck them through a straw. Apple sauce is also pretty thin - I've never tried but I can imagine it can also be sucked through a straw. You are down 20lbs. Great job!! :lb24:

I'm only 12 days post-op, and I'm ready for real food. I've had some fries and some toast with my soups. I've had creamy soups, and chunky soups (usually a normal serving) and that is about all. I've had no problems at all. I made a frittata for breakfast and had some of it also. No problems.

Yes puree is fine. I made all my creamy soups at home so I pout some chicken or turkey in the food processor to make the consistency acceptable and the protein option much better than a shake. But I would be careful you don't want to slip the band but it sounds like you are doing great and being able to tolerate all these things is awesome congrats on the 20 lbs!!! And MammaMichelle thank you so much for not making me feel like I was being naughty for "eating" a little more than half a cup. My swelling went down so fast and while it was only about a 3/4 of a cup I was worried so glad to know you are still doing amazing and I am not doing any major damage!

Yes puree is fine. I made all my creamy soups at home so I pout some chicken or turkey in the food processor to make the consistency acceptable and the protein option much better than a shake. But I would be careful you don't want to slip the band but it sounds like you are doing great and being able to tolerate all these things is awesome congrats on the 20 lbs!!! And MammaMichelle thank you so much for not making me feel like I was being naughty for "eating" a little more than half a cup. My swelling went down so fast and while it was only about a 3/4 of a cup I was worried so glad to know you are still doing amazing and I am not doing any major damage!

By week 2 I was doing 1 full cup of liquids at a time and my pouch wasn't stretched at all according to Dr. Romero (I just saw him for my first fill on Saturday) so if you are doing 3/4 cup you should be fine...

One thing he said that I didn't know was that drinking during your meals is how most people stretch their pouches, I thought it was eating past your full point that would do the most damage but he said it was the eating/drinking combo that does the most damage!

By week 2 I was doing 1 full cup of liquids at a time and my pouch wasn't stretched at all according to Dr. Romero (I just saw him for my first fill on Saturday) so if you are doing 3/4 cup you should be fine...

One thing he said that I didn't know was that drinking during your meals is how most people stretch their pouches, I thought it was eating past your full point that would do the most damage but he said it was the eating/drinking combo that does the most damage!

that is good to know! I think its soooo hard not to drink with meals- but it makes me more aware of when I go to grab a snack (which i dont need anyway..but i WANT one! haha) bc if i have that..then I cant drink for an hour after...so I guess its actually a good thing!

I'm sooo glad I wasn't the only one thinking or actually doing this. I thought I was "cheating" although I felt fine. Thanks for replying and reassuring me. I am between 1/2 c and 2/3 because I am afraid to stretch the pouch or have the band slip. I haven't had any vomiting or anything like that (thank God) and I always wait to drink later because I too am afraid of what may happen. I guess fear is a good thing right now. I know later when I do get on solids my fear will be even better for me. Thanks everyone for the advice and praise :lol2: