Eating too soon?

Fatcat

Hi,

I am 18 days post op - 3 to go before I'm allowed to eat solid foods. Yesterday, for some unknown reason - and I mean that - I wasn't extra hungry or anything like that - I decided to eat. I ate a small plate of some of the breaded eggplant my neighbor sent over for my daughter and her family and I ate a small piece of cheesecake - This was my lunch. For dinner, I had a small piece of grain bread with butter and 1 scrambled egg. The bread killed me - lots of pain in the chest area -

Otherwise it felt great to eat. Any and all comments - I need them. Today, I just couldn't bear a cold shake for breakfast, so I had some creamy soup - My weight lose has not been great - lose 5 lbs up 2 etc etc. Yesterday, somehow I gained two lbs again - don't know why - so I'm only down 5 lbs again - I know we are not supposed to be worrying about losing at this point, but I notice some great loses happening to others.

Help!

Helen ><':wacko:

Thanks for posting this. I too have felt a little overwhelmed and even discouraged at everyone's amazing weight losses. I keep thinking...when's my going to start. I know I'm in the 3 week healing period, but so was everyone else while they were losing too! I lost 10 pounds the first week, then its stalled. I've read the posts that say to eat more, but I'm not hungry - so I feel like I'm force feeding myself.

I miss eating. Not to comfort me, but the art of eating. Sitting down at the table with a plate and fork, and even a knife! I'm just past 2 weeks out pre-op and I'm tired of drinking or using a spoon for my calories. I was going to try some scrambled eggs this morning. I had a few bites of egg salad last night - yummo! And I needed a fork....LOL!!!

Hang in there. Maybe we're just delayed weight loss losers - our time will come - I'm convinced of that ><'

I am wondering if I cheated this morning. I made some cream of wheat breakfast "soup". I drank it through my kids' bowls that have straw attached to it. After I ate I felt full and satisfied. No pain, just wondering if that was a no-no food. If it is I won't have it anymore. Thanks to all.

Brook

I am wondering if I cheated this morning. I made some cream of wheat breakfast "soup". I drank it through my kids' bowls that have straw attached to it. After I ate I felt full and satisfied. No pain, just wondering if that was a no-no food. If it is I won't have it anymore. Thanks to all.

Brook

Dr. Miranda said anything that can be sucked through a straw was okay. But be careful about actually drinking through a straw because this can increase gas.

Hi Brook,

That isn't cheating at all and so healthy and yummy! I wish I had thought of it. It's a good one for all newbies to keep for yet another food to "sip"

Helen ><'

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a Southern gal, and last night I could not take the hunger anymore. (banded on previous Thursday, have not had a meal since mid-day Wednesday) It was not head hunger, I have drank like a fish but I was hungry. So...I have some instant grits in the pantry and I fixed myself a watery bowl and I was satisfied until this morning. Drank a SlimFast for breakfast and had another bowl of watery grits for lunch. I have been drinking and drinking as well.

I feel full now and I'm a lot more comfortable.

Jena

Ok I did something really stupid today. I was banded last Thursday and my directions said "should" be on liquids for the first 2 weeks but each stage is individual and as you feel more comfortable ok to move on to next as long as don't get nauseas or throw up. So last couple days been eating creamy things like egg salad in the blender or scrambed eggs in the blender and drinking hot tea to melt it so it went down no problem. Well this am woke up and had a scrambled egg and watery grits and everything was fine. This evening I moved to the next stage and tried mashed potatoes with tiny tiny pieces of chicken chewed really really well and milk. I think I eat too much now pain in chest. I think it expanded. I had little portions but think it expanded.

I'm going back to watery things tomorrow. I talked to my brother who had bypass a few years ago and he said too soon. I need to be on liquids. You ladies are right. What the heck was I thinking..I let myself think I was ready...do you think my band might slip with just this one time? How do we know if it's slipped?

I'm very sure you band did NOT slip! WE all make mistakes, learn from them and then get back on track :) I was eating runny instant mashed potatoes 8 days post opp. They really helped me and I felt a TON better getting some food in my stomach. You are doing FABULOUS! Keep up the good work. Unless you are vomiting several days and several times a day I would not worry about band slipage.

xoxoxo

Band slippage was my biggest concern as well. I asked Dr. Miranda how I would know and she said that you would be vomiting all the time.

Of course then I asked Dr. Ortiz and he had a whole different answer:

If I eat before 21 days my band will slip, if I don't call him if I have a problem, the band will slip. And finally.....If I don't treat my husband well and make his every fantasy come true...the band will slip.

In other words, I think you're ok

I guess my biggest fear is not slippage it is actually stretching my pouch and i am on day 22 so i am able to eat regular food now so i am just scared about stretching the pouch and gaining back the 55 pounds that i have lost all in all...that worries me!!!But my first fill is scheduled for june 16th so i k now that is when you really start losing your weight.my mom got the surgery done about a year ago and she said that after she got it done abuot three weeks later she could go back to eating normal..so she said it is normal has anyone else gone through this...also when are you able to have margaritas?

Just be careful, back in 2006 we all new about "Chicken Lady" she was someone that ate too soon, accidentally grabbed a piece of chicken off her childs plate when she was suppose to still be on liquids and slipped her band.

It was enough to keep me staying off my solids!

However, there's no way in hell I'm telling my husband what Dr. Ortiz said! (Funny guy)!

Margaritas are safe – (over ice) however you really will be defeating your diet – there are a lot of calories in those wonderful drinks – and the coldness can tighten your band and make you feel uncomfortable.

We are always a little tighter in the mornings, so start with some tea or coffee to loosen the band a bit, then I eat oatmeal, grits or yougurt. By evening I am not so tight so I can eat actual food! Bread is always a no=no and always gets stuck. Had a baked potato today and tried to eat the skin and that gave me problems (lunchtime). You will get to know your own band and what you can do and not do. I can only eat chicken breast on a "good" day that I don't have a lot of restriction. Otherwise it is too dry, no matter how small the bite or how much I chew it will come back up.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I full or is it post-op pain?

I can't tell yet since just banded June 5 but after I've had my various broths and other liquids, I begin to have a tight, expanded feeling in my chest and midriff and gut like I'm swollen or bloated or something. Is that a sensation of being full or just how it feels after surgery from gas? I had been curious about what it was going to feel like with the band but didn't think I'd be feeling much of a restriction yet? Any of you guys relate to this? Thank you, Sufina

Sufina, I had my surgery on June 4th...I get those same exact feelings in my chest!!! It's very uncomfortable...kinda have to take a deep breath and then it goes away!!