Newly Banded on 4/4/08

So I was newly banded on 4/4/08. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and feel great!! The glue has come off my incisions, there is zero bruising and like my son says - it just looks like I got scratched on my belly while picking blackberries!!

So I went down by myself. I was a self-pay patient - in otherwords, my insurance company can't find enough wrong with me to pay for the surgery. My husband and I chose to take money off our line of credit from our house. I told hiim if we can do it buy our recent car - we can do it for my surgery!

I fly by myself, and stayed by myself the first night. But when I went to the lobby at 7:30a.m. to meet Mrs. Ortiz - I was greeted by several other bandsters, and one lady who was leaving after being banded the day before. She looked great, happy, and had been shopping all day just the afternoon before. Wow! I wasn't scared or nervous one bit. I felt safe in the company of my new friends. We were all about ready to share this experience together.

I didn't have time to be nervous. By the time Mrs. Ortiz dropped us off at the clinic, Claudia was calling our names into the different appointments for surgery pre-op. We had one bandster with us who literally kept me laughing almost the entire morning - if it wasn't for him, I would have been a nervous wreck. I'm a worry wart at heart - what can I say! Getting the surgery was easy - truly. There was nothing I "had" to do but just lay there and smile. Honestly, I never doubted my decision to do this, or to go by myself. I felt warm fuzzies from my other bandsters and the nurses and doctors. I couldn't stop smiling around Dr. Ortiz - he just has that charm about him. And Dr. Martinez - well, what can I say - he could make a girl's heart stop!

After it was all over, the nurses made sure we were all up and walking. What they didn't anticipate us to do it all night! It was like a sleepover - a couple of us were walking and talking for HOURS! The nurses were waiting for us to tucker out.

The worst part of my experience was 5 days post-op. I had gas pains so painful I honestly didn't know what to do. I called Dr. Martinez at 9:45pm - he answered, calmed me down, and told me what to do.

I am looking forward to Day 21 post-op when we can officially eat, and 5/17 - when I get my first fill.

This band has and will change me forever. Never again will I eat 6 pieces of pizza like it was nothing - or go to a restaurant and have what everyone else is having - bread, salad, steak, potatoes, dessert, and drinks!!! That's enough calories to last me a week!!! But I ate like that often - it's not wonder I gained so much weight. I love food - and for me, giving it up wasn't an option. Limiting it is though - and that's what my new friend (Mr. Band) will do for me. I'm certain of it.

So for anyone who has doubts or fears - put them aside. I asked my husband and son to stay home, and I went on this adventure to TJ, to the OCC, by myself. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything - and am thankful for the friends I met along the way!

Glad everything went so PERFECT! YOu are doing great so far and keep up the positive attitude. This forum helps so much, just continue to monitor and keep us posted with your progress.

You are the bestus!!!! So glad we shared our experience at the OCC together!

Drs. Ortiz and Martinez - oolala ... both handsome :)

So I was newly banded on 4/4/08. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and feel great!! The glue has come off my incisions, there is zero bruising and like my son says - it just looks like I got scratched on my belly while picking blackberries!!

So I went down by myself. I was a self-pay patient - in otherwords, my insurance company can't find enough wrong with me to pay for the surgery. My husband and I chose to take money off our line of credit from our house. I told hiim if we can do it buy our recent car - we can do it for my surgery!

I fly by myself, and stayed by myself the first night. But when I went to the lobby at 7:30a.m. to meet Mrs. Ortiz - I was greeted by several other bandsters, and one lady who was leaving after being banded the day before. She looked great, happy, and had been shopping all day just the afternoon before. Wow! I wasn't scared or nervous one bit. I felt safe in the company of my new friends. We were all about ready to share this experience together.

I didn't have time to be nervous. By the time Mrs. Ortiz dropped us off at the clinic, Claudia was calling our names into the different appointments for surgery pre-op. We had one bandster with us who literally kept me laughing almost the entire morning - if it wasn't for him, I would have been a nervous wreck. I'm a worry wart at heart - what can I say! Getting the surgery was easy - truly. There was nothing I "had" to do but just lay there and smile. Honestly, I never doubted my decision to do this, or to go by myself. I felt warm fuzzies from my other bandsters and the nurses and doctors. I couldn't stop smiling around Dr. Ortiz - he just has that charm about him. And Dr. Martinez - well, what can I say - he could make a girl's heart stop!

After it was all over, the nurses made sure we were all up and walking. What they didn't anticipate us to do it all night! It was like a sleepover - a couple of us were walking and talking for HOURS! The nurses were waiting for us to tucker out.

The worst part of my experience was 5 days post-op. I had gas pains so painful I honestly didn't know what to do. I called Dr. Martinez at 9:45pm - he answered, calmed me down, and told me what to do.

I am looking forward to Day 21 post-op when we can officially eat, and 5/17 - when I get my first fill.

This band has and will change me forever. Never again will I eat 6 pieces of pizza like it was nothing - or go to a restaurant and have what everyone else is having - bread, salad, steak, potatoes, dessert, and drinks!!! That's enough calories to last me a week!!! But I ate like that often - it's not wonder I gained so much weight. I love food - and for me, giving it up wasn't an option. Limiting it is though - and that's what my new friend (Mr. Band) will do for me. I'm certain of it.

So for anyone who has doubts or fears - put them aside. I asked my husband and son to stay home, and I went on this adventure to TJ, to the OCC, by myself. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything - and am thankful for the friends I met along the way!

Hi Calicat... I'm going down to be banded on May 15th, arriving May 14th. I'm flying out of Bellingham, to Seattle, then to San Diego. Flying Alaska Airlines.. have you booked your flight already?

Yes - I'm flying out Alaska at 7am on 5/16, staying the night at Lucerna and leaving 5/17 at 6:30pm.

There are 4 of us coming in that day and all getting banded on Saturday. There are two coming in around 11am to get banded on 5/16 from this forum. Our foursome probably won't see you at the clinic since you may be released on 5/16 - but we'll see you around the hotel for sure. You can't miss us - or hear us - we're a little loud!! The hotel has computers in the lobby - I'll be there a couple times a day for sure!!! Are you going solo? Do you want us to look you up at the hotel - see if you need anything, or have questions? You'll have 4-6 "experts" at your beckon call - just let me know :)

Hi Calicat... I'm going down to be banded on May 15th, arriving May 14th. I'm flying out of Bellingham, to Seattle, then to San Diego. Flying Alaska Airlines.. have you booked your flight already?

I appreciate that.. thank you so much. I'm flying in on the 14th arriving around 9:30 in San Diego. Was hoping because I'm going to be there so early, they may do my surgery that day? If not, no worries, I will go and lie around the pool. I'm a sun worshipper! You know... I emailed your write up to my sister last night, so was NOT letting me go by myself. But.. after she read your write-up, she said.. you know... I'm thinking I might just be in the way. Sounds like you're going to have lots of people there with you, and you'll be able to keep yourself busy, and will have so much in common with everybody. So.. THANK YOU! I really didn't want her to come! lol

Anything I can do to help! The more you're out - the more bandsters you'll meet - because we ALL stay there - so the more the merrier is how I look at it :) If you have you're surgery on the 15th, you'll get out the 16th - that's when we arrive - so maybe we'll see you that evening!

I appreciate that.. thank you so much. I'm flying in on the 14th arriving around 9:30 in San Diego. Was hoping because I'm going to be there so early, they may do my surgery that day? If not, no worries, I will go and lie around the pool. I'm a sun worshipper! You know... I emailed your write up to my sister last night, so was NOT letting me go by myself. But.. after she read your write-up, she said.. you know... I'm thinking I might just be in the way. Sounds like you're going to have lots of people there with you, and you'll be able to keep yourself busy, and will have so much in common with everybody. So.. THANK YOU! I really didn't want her to come! lol

hi cdn girl, i live in point roberts and flying out of seattle to be banded on the 15th, on alaska, haven't decided if im taking the 7 am or 9 am, which one are you on, by the way my son had his done on jan 14th and has lost 80 lbs. but they do say it is easier for guys: email me at ljleisy@hotmail.com and we can hook up :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I loved your note about going by yourself to be banded! I'm getting banded this week, 7/10 and I am going by myself. My daughter wasn't 100 percent sold on me doing this, but she was willing to go with me. I declined and felt that I'd do better without someone there who wouldn't be as supportive as I'd need. So here I go, by myself too. Your story helped relieve a little of the apprehension I was having about going there alone. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your weight loss!

I loved your note about going by yourself to be banded! I'm getting banded this week, 7/10 and I am going by myself. My daughter wasn't 100 percent sold on me doing this, but she was willing to go with me. I declined and felt that I'd do better without someone there who wouldn't be as supportive as I'd need. So here I go, by myself too. Your story helped relieve a little of the apprehension I was having about going there alone. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your weight loss!

I'm so glad Fancy! You'll do just great, and hopefully meet someone in which you connect with - seems like we all did! No one else can share the same emotions as a fellow bandster - so go for it.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me...I'll be happy to answer anything you're concerned or worried about. I can only speak for myself and my experience, but it was absolutely great...and I say that without hestitation.

I've made another band buddy off this post as well. She emailed me, asked questions, and we haven't stopped chatting since her band date on 6/5/08!

Have a great week - and good job on making a great decision! The OCC is wonderful!!!