Sorry lap banders

Hi,

I am feeling a bit down right now.

I was searching the web on lap band procedures this am and came across soooooooo many people who had their bands removed, bands eroded, being sick, sick, sick while being banded and not losing but a small amount of weight. Some of these people had their bands from 6 months to years and were very very unhappy with them. Now I am upset and wonder if the lap band,long term, really works. Anyone who is long term, please let us hear from you. The complications the people listed were numerous and I actually feel frightened that these can happen to us.

Best, Helen :huh:

Hi,

Helen again. Just noticed my topic lists "Sorry Lap Banders" - I honestly don't know where that is from - I certainly did not add that as the topic center and I don't mean to imply that all of us are doomed. So Pllllllease don't take it that way. I am just looking for some happy long term bandsters.

Helen ><'

Hi,

Helen again. Just noticed my topic lists "Sorry Lap Banders" - I honestly don't know where that is from - I certainly did not add that as the topic center and I don't mean to imply that all of us are doomed. So Pllllllease don't take it that way. I am just looking for some happy long term bandsters.

Helen ><'

Yeeks, what site did you see all this news? Pargirl

Before you get too upset, remember, we were banded by Dr. Ortiz, the tops in this field. The U.S. Doctors are way behind him in experience so maybe those bad results were due to bad surgery. Have confidence in your surgery. And remember, people like to complain so thoe might be exagerrations.

I think it's important to remember that every person is unique and everyone is not guaranteed the same results or experience. Everyone will have their own experience and unfortunately, some of those may be bad or unsuccessful. With this kind of thing, you just have to make the decision for yourself, be committed to the decision, and hope everything turns out for the best. I hope you don't allow this to discourage you from making the decision to be banded, but I understand your aprehension.

And yes, it's also important to remember Dr. Ortiz' wonderful track record - I can't imagine having this done by anyone else!

Alana

you also dont mention how ppl treated their band..... just because we have it doesnt me we can do whatever to it! we have to abide by the rules to make sure it stays inside of us!

Yes, this is true! My sister was banded in the U.S. and does not follow the rules. She drinks soda and drinks with her meals thereby invalidating her band. But, she will be the first to complain it doesn't work.

Mackenzie and Mona Camille are right. The band doesn't work all on its own. You have to respect it and take care with what you eat and drink. It's a great tool, if you don't abuse it.

Denise

When I went for my last fill I met a few people that were not losing weight like they wanted, then i find out they are drinking shakes, & starbucks. And a few others that got too much fill, but lived with it for 6 months... I too was frustrated that I wasn't losing or gained back what I lost. So then I started watching my diet and excerising. and It's slowing coming off.... I have learned this is not a quick fix it's only a tool, we have to do the work... the good news is I believe this will keep me from gaining weight back!!! Best of luck to you with your journey!! Donna

Before you get too upset, remember, we were banded by Dr. Ortiz, the tops in this field. The U.S. Doctors are way behind him in experience so maybe those bad results were due to bad surgery. Have confidence in your surgery. And remember, people like to complain so thoe might be exagerrations.

This is a true statement. Even doctors here in Colorado where trained by Dr. Ortiz and their fill methods where not of the quality that Dr. Ortiz staff does.

Jenn

I am also new to this site... I have 34 pounds to lose to even qualify for the lap band. But what I've observed is the fact that some people are not following Pre-Op and Post Op Directions... then wonder why they are not losing weight and doing well.

I understand about having an eating disorder.... and how hard it is to follow a food plan.... but I also know from past experience that if you're eating a few days after surgery.... and think you're going to get away with it... you're not.

I had gastric bypass in Feb. 2000 and followed directions to a point... then started to do it my way... Well my way lead me to gain back 100 out of the 180 I lost... and now I have to start all over again....

The people you've read about that are complaining are not necessarily following the directions given to them.

I've learned the hard way... in order to be succesfful you have to Follow the Plan... No deviations...

Yes, this is true! My sister was banded in the U.S. and does not follow the rules. She drinks soda and drinks with her meals thereby invalidating her band. But, she will be the first to complain it doesn't work.

I am not making judgements, but am wondering.. Did your sister self pay or did her insurance cover it?? I am seeing that people who self pay are more conscience of the Band rules than some who have been covered by insurance..

It's like the failure rate for anything else, like birth control pills. The rate of failure goes up because you are averaging in people who do not use the product correctly.

However, there are complications with any surgical procedure, and they are not always the fault of the patient. My feeling when I got banded was that this was the best thing I could do right now. A better drug or procedure may come along in the future, and I may have to do something else to maintain weight loss at that unforeeable future time. That doesn't mean the band isn't the best decision right now.

I am not making judgements, but am wondering.. Did your sister self pay or did her insurance cover it?? I am seeing that people who self pay are more conscience of the Band rules than some who have been covered by insurance..

Insurance paid. And you are right, I do think self pay makes you a little more concious of what you are doing.

She was told not to drink soda and not drink with meals and not deliberately eat so much you puke, and when I asked her why she was doing it when told not to, she said because she was thirsty or hungry. I asked her if she knew she was going to expand her pouch that way and she said. Oh no, they didn't tell me that, I better stop it!

Yeah, DUH!! No kidding! They tell you things for a reason not just for nothing. I always thought she was a smart girl, but I guess not. If you don't know why, then ask! But you still are supposed to follow the rules they give you. They aren't made up for nothing.

As you can tell, she makes me VERY mad with her cavalier attitude about it!

I'll chime in here, too.

Everyone has already said it - and it's true. Everything is a chance and there is always risk in everything we do. The Lap Band is NOT 100% - I htink the only thing that is, is doing weight loss natural. I was banded on 2/15. I got my first fill almost 4 weeks ago. Since being banded I've lost 26lbs. Along with the Band, I've made a whole lifestyle change. My whole family has made this change. We watch what goes in our mouths, how much goes in our mouths and when it goes in our mouths. It is possible to eat to much helathy stuff, too. We make sure to eat 3 proper meals a day, a snack and lots of water. I admit I have trouble eating 3 meals. I'm really never that hungry. I also never get that 'full' feeling a lot of people get. Since I don't get that 'full' feeling, I make 100% sure that I don't eat to much - sometimes I have to make sure to eat enough - that's so crazy!!

I'm exercising a few days a week, along with chasing my tot and 1yr old around everywhere.

The band is working for me, but I am also working for my band. When we both do our part, I see the results. I imagine if I stopped doing my part, the band would stop doing it's part, too.

I chose to get my fill locally, and they will check my band through Floro a few times a year to make sure everything still looks good. Unless I have other problems, they don't think it needs to be looked at more often. I'm happy with this.

Good Luck to us all!

Peace,

Maggie