The hardest part...

I am having a horrible time not drinking when I eat. I love to drink when I eat. I know it defeats the purpose of the band, but it is a hard adjustment. :((

I am having a horrible time not drinking when I eat. I love to drink when I eat. I know it defeats the purpose of the band, but it is a hard adjustment. :((

I think that will be the hardest thing for me.. My hubby says he tips waiters according to how well they keep my Iced Tea glass filled..

I am right with you! Not drinking and eating has been the hardest thing for me. I drink as much a possible before I eat and then after I am finished eating I eat a couple pieces of ice and my be a swallow or two of water. Then I start counting down the minutes before I start drinking water. Most of the time I can make it at least 30 min. I am really working on waiting a hour. I do stay fuller if I wait a hour.

Good luck! It will get better just hang in there!

Maytee :rolleyes:

While our group was back at the OCC for our fill the topic of eating while drinking came up... I always knew it was bad but I thought it was because the liquids would wash the food through the band making it harder to become full. Dr. Romero kind of put the fear of god into us saying it was one of the worst things you could do for your band and not just because of the reason we thought.

He said that when you eat the food rests in the stoma above the band, and when you add liquid to that it builds up a lot of pressure in the stoma because the liquid isn't able to filter past the food so this causes a bulge kind of like in this picture.

4%20Roux%20en%20Y%20stoma%20and%20pouch.gif

Dr. R says continuing to do this will stretch your pouch, inch by inch day by day... and a stretched pouch means you can eat more which means the band can't do its job! His explanation really scared us straight!!

For me the only time I am tempted to drink while I eat is when I go out to eat, so what I do is just order water (I tried telling servers that I didn't want anything and that just got me weird looks and questions if I was sure and then they would bring me water anyways) so once they bring the water I squeeze the lemon into it (I don't like lemons in anything) so that kind of crushes my desire to drink it... I heard of another bandster who puts salt in her water so she isn't tempted to drink it. I will often move it across the table in front of my husband also so it's not so close to my reach, if you have to lean across the table to grab your water you just might think twice about drinking it!!

Michelle

Thanks for that "lesson" !! I really really struggle with not drinking while eating and it's been almost impossible for me to wait an hour after eating b/4 I drink. I thought the same thing that the water pushed the food through and we would be hungry sooner.. so while that made me think twice I still "didi it"... NOW... it can stretch it out.. which of course makes sense but I guess I needed to see it in black and white.

xoxoxo

Hi Kimmie,

I started not drinking and eating together while on my pre op diet and that was helpful to prepare me.

Now I never have a drink at the table with me when I eat. I don't order one at the restaurant either. It is hard, but I don't think we reach for the glass because we're really thirsty ... it was just done out of habit......

You've done so well, you can conquer not eating without a drink! :)

Me too!!! I've been drinking while eating... I cut back on the amount, but still drank. Now that I read Michelle's explaination of how the stomach stretches... that's it, no more drinking while eating!!! I know it's hard Kimmie, but there are alot of us right there with you!! We have to take care of our bands so our bands can take care of us!!! Thanks girls! :friends:

I always knew that drinking with eating is a BAD thing to do. Even though in the past you are told about washing down that food with something isn't a good thing anymore. If you have had a good meal, know you are full, and try to drink, then you could feel a pain in your chest like a golfball getting stuck and that should tell you, you have had enough to eat and there is no more room for anything else. All you will get is discomfort.

I went to the beach last weekend and we stopped at a fun restaurant for a late lunch. I ordered my food which I knew was mostly coming home with me and my mom and brother looked at me and asked what I wanted to drink. I said, really fast, that I can't drink anything with food. Sure I got looks, but they gave me a large water anyway. Never touched it and my brother drank it later...LOL

Yes, I have had meals several times that leaves me VERY thirsty afterwards, but I hang in there or just get my tongue wet and I make it ok within 45min. to an hour after. Then I chug that water...well as much as I can anyway. ;) Hate that feeling so I really try not to eat foods that will do that to me.

My friends even say, "how can you not drink with meals?" I tell them I have trained myself and I know that rule will always be with me. I can drink in between as much as I want. It's not hard anymore.

Take care all.

Judy

For this reason, I have to give up spicy foods... *sigh*

I ate a simple McChicken sandwich the other day - which has a lot of pepper on it. I washed each bite down with a big gulp of water. I would have stopped eating it, but I was starving and out with my kids, so I didn't have any other options at that moment.

I think of all the spicy foods I won't be able to have anymore, and it makes me so sad... :-(

Thanks for the info ladies...I take a bite and then take a drink right now...before being banded on June 10/08, I am going to have to train myself not to do that.

What happens if you eat something dry, like a peice of meat and it gets stuck? Can you take a sip of water to help it down?

Getting ready for banding is alot like basic training!! LOL!!

Cathy :)

Thanks for the info ladies...I take a bite and then take a drink right now...before being banded on June 10/08, I am going to have to train myself not to do that.

What happens if you eat something dry, like a peice of meat and it gets stuck? Can you take a sip of water to help it down?

Getting ready for banding is alot like basic training!! LOL!!

Cathy :)

Hi Cathy,

Congrats on your band date! If you get something stuck and take a sip of water, you will be sorry. It will be painful and you will most likely throw it up. If anything get stuck, then your saliva from possibly PBing or sliming is what I usually have gotten, will either make it go down or make it worse. I have run around and flapped my arms and just kept moving to get it do settle down. It is a horrible feeling...trust me. I have never thrown up yet...came seriously close, but I talked my body out of it to protect my band. Not sure if that was a good thing or not, but I am fine now. ;)

Take care,

Judy

The hardest part for me is not having a cup of coffee or tea to finish off my meal. I can easily do without dessert if I can have a hot drink at the end of the meal but I guess I won't consider my meal over until an hour later when I have my tea. Also what about before. How long before you start eating do you have to stop drinking. This is definitely going to take some getting used to and I feel like I will have to think about it constantly which will make it worse. I certainly hope it gets to be like second nature.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently developed a new trick to help me with the urge to drink with meals, well really for me I am ok not drinking while I'm eating but once I stop eating I am dying for a sip of something. I know I am plenty hydrated because I am drinking enough water throughout the rest of the day so I really think the reason I want water after a meal is to wash the taste of whatever I just ate out of my mouth.

So what I have been using is the Listerine Pocket Pack Strips, if you haven't used them they are great!! I can discreetly pop one in my mouth and it gets the taste out of my mouth... It also helps me to stop picking at my food after I am full, I still have that "clean your plate" mentality so after I have finished 1/2 of my food I put in a breath strip and I am less likely to keep eating..

Try Them (they are calorie free too)!!

listerine_pshot.jpg

What do you do if the food gets stuck and you get that pain in your chest? Can you slide it down with something other than a drink, like yogurt or something like it?

Drinking during meals is going to be the biggest adjustment, but to avoid PBing or stretching my pouch, I will just have to train myself not to.

Thanks ladies, Cathy

Again one of the worst things you can do for your band is to drink while you're eating ESPECIALLY if you have something stuck, that's when the pressure builds up and you're pretty much guaranteed to PB.

Now I have read about people who drink when they are stuck because they WANT to PB so the pain will stop but that's one thing Dr. Miranda warns against, the best thing you can do when you are stuck is to get up and walk around this will help you to move the food through the band (to become unstuck) and hopefully you won't PB at all.

I mean if you choose to drink when stuck so you force yourself to PB you may get relief in 1-2 min, if you get up a walk around the food should pass though your band bringing you relief in 5-7 min... So maybe to some people the faster relief is worth it but the more you PB the more you risk damaging the band so for me drinking when stuck isn't worth it!!

What do you do if the food gets stuck and you get that pain in your chest? Can you slide it down with something other than a drink, like yogurt or something like it?

Drinking during meals is going to be the biggest adjustment, but to avoid PBing or stretching my pouch, I will just have to train myself not to.

Thanks ladies, Cathy

Hi Cathy,

If food gets stuck then stop eating right away and of course you already know not to try to "wash" it down. Usually walking around and like I did(flap my arms), helps to let things settle. lol If it is really stuck like you didn't pay attention to the warning signs, then you will probably slime(constantly need to spit), or end up throwing up. I usually know now the warning signs when food starts to struggle going down. The last time I got food stuck, I ignored that sign and kept trying to eat because I was so hungry. I forced myself NOT to throw up, but I will NEVER forget the misery I went through to do that. It was really hard and so miserable. UGH! It was so awful and I was in the car with a friend on our way to see a wedding dress seamstress. I was fine by the time we got there, but it was so bad. I scared my friend really bad too. :(

Take care and I hope you never have any problems with your band. ;)

Peace,

Judy

I have recently developed a new trick to help me with the urge to drink with meals, well really for me I am ok not drinking while I'm eating but once I stop eating I am dying for a sip of something. I know I am plenty hydrated because I am drinking enough water throughout the rest of the day so I really think the reason I want water after a meal is to wash the taste of whatever I just ate out of my mouth.

So what I have been using is the Listerine Pocket Pack Strips, if you haven't used them they are great!! I can discreetly pop one in my mouth and it gets the taste out of my mouth... It also helps me to stop picking at my food after I am full, I still have that "clean your plate" mentality so after I have finished 1/2 of my food I put in a breath strip and I am less likely to keep eating..

Try Them (they are calorie free too)!!

listerine_pshot.jpg

Michelle,

I just noticed the 47 yeah!

I can really sympathize with you on this one, I have the same problem, always have! I have a routine now to get me to not drink with my meals. First while I am preparing my meal I drink a nice big glass of water or crystal light and when that is done, I refill and then I have my water.......if I get stuck during dinner and am dying for a drink of something, Dr. Miranda told me to suck on an ice chip....I also order just a glass of ice chips with my meal in restaurants so that I have "something". I bought a small pocket timer that I set for my hour after I eat and then I have to wait for it to go off before I drink anything, otherwise I feel like I am dying for something to drink. This has been one of my hardest obstacles to overcome, but I have to force myself to comply or else! Hopefully this will give you some ideas that can help you with the problem.

Donna

I was banded on 4/4 - and get food stuck in at least 2 or my 3 meals every day! I haven't even had my fill yet.

It's a very uncomfortable and painful feeling and they only way to make it go away is to drink water to help flush it down. Honestly, I can feel it. I can feel it go through. Sometimes I put my arms above my head or walk around to help it wiggle thru. But I can't do that in a restaurant!

I don't know that I've created a pouch yet because I haven't been filled. Hopefully, having the restriction there will help things not get stuck!! I don't know, we'll see in a couple weeks after my first fill.

I'll tell Dr. Romero everything, as I just told Dr. Saul yesterday. And I am anxious to see my new pouch - and if it has become stretched. But drinking water is the only way I can consume foods at the moment - unless they are all soft and mushy. And guess how I make them mushy - by drinking a sip of water!

I think it's different for everyone - but the golden rule should be no drinking while eating.

So is the goal to drink as much water as you can between meals? This won't stretch your pouch? I guess it just would go right through?? If I drink coffee first thing in the morning do I then wait an hour before my breakfast?