What types of meats do you eat?

Kittycat

Hi Ladies,

Just doing some research before being banded on June 10th.

What type of protein/meat have you found is easiest to eat and digest? I like fish, chicken, turkey, beef. I have heard that beef is hard to digest, has anyone had any problems with beef? Or are avoiding it?

What about rice, if you chew it really well...can you have it?

Thanks for sharing....Cathy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ladies,

What type of protein/meat have you found is easiest to eat and digest? I like fish, chicken, turkey, beef. I have heard that beef is hard to digest, has anyone had any problems with beef? Or are avoiding it?

Hi Cathy

I was banded in March and I have found to be able to eat anything I want except bread. I did eat a tuna sandwich on toast with no problems just not anything doughy. Rice and pasta are not a problem for me. I also had a steak dinner for my son's birthday and could only eat 1/4 of it but with very small bites, had no problems. It seems that chewing and smaller bites are the key!!!

Good luck,

Nancy ><'

Cathy, I am 4 weeks post op and noticed that I can eat any meat. The only issue is if it is dry then it tends to be more difficult (makes me want to drink something...lol). I saw on other posts that shellfish is hard to digest but as we all know everyone is different. Let me know how meats work for you afterwards.

I usually stick to chicken (not a huge fish or turkey person) though I have had steak and a hamburger since my fill with no problems... Dry chicken is an issue I ordered a chicken Caesar salad at hole-in-the wall diner and I tried 2 small bites (well chewed) and felt the tightness, so take that into consideration!

I think that I read somewhere that flaky fish is the best protein source for bandsters as even if it is "dry" it's not fibrous so it shouldn't get stuck as easily.

Everyone is different and can tolerate different things. I have the most difficulty with dry chicken, and steak.....some days I can eat it, some I can't. You have to learn by trial and error.

Hi Ladies,

I eat lots of chicken...the grilled chicken breast fron Carl's Jr is super moist and I buy canned chicken from wal-mart that is also moist enough to tolerate well. I make chicken salad and add a little shredded low fat mozzarella or feta cheese for extra protein. I also have not had any problems with rice, but everyone is different. Chicken also seems to be easier to chew than beef, but my husband has made beef roast in the crockpot that simmered all day and it just melted in my mouth...but I just seem to prefer chicken..Hope that helps

Cathy, since my previous post I have noticed that fried or greasy meat of any kind makes me sick....real bad cramps and severe chest pain. I have had crab n shrimp and white fish since then as well and all did fine. I love learning how to eat all over again, it really makes me appreciate my new best friend....my lap band...hehehe Lora