Starting the Process

I have to say how great it has been to see all the posts here. Especially thanks to Chelley for the detailed description of your experience. I have never even considered going to Mexico, and am seriously thinking about it now.

My question is about the beginning of the process. I have asked for a response from Dr. Ortiz's office today. What can I expect now? When will I get calls? How quickly can I get the surgery?

Thanks again. I think you all are great.

Rid,

I have to say it really depends on you. I just saw a post of someone that was able to schedule their surgery in less than a week. In my case I could have had my surgery within a month of my first visit to Dr. Ortiz in the beginning of May.

It really is up to you and your schedule, and the old adage "Money Talks....."

I know Dr.Oriz has quite a few surgeries next week, because some of them are all over these boards, but I think you could get it done sooner than in the US.

Good luck to you.

Darrin

San Diego, CA

To be Banded - TOMORROW!

Darrin S;

OMG!!! I know you are there right now....I hope your surgery went well and you are feeling great...No Gas pains and whatknot....JUST REMEMBER TO WALK!!!......I have been watching all your posts and I have to say you were as excited as I was....AND I STILL AM.... Well...keep us posted my dear...and I hope you are feeling GREAT!!! Cathy

banded: 6/9/2006

I called today and could have made an appointment for a July date. Chose August 4th because it fit better with some other obligations. What a different experience calling there. One phone call and I'm all set. So it looks like I'm the first August bander.

Much better than another office I called before calling Ortiz. I called a doc in Ventura, Dr. Billy yesterday. They said that I couldn't even talk to anyone until I had gone to one of their seminars. I started to explain that I had done research for months, and was rudely cut off. She said there was nothing they could do at all and no one I could talk to until I did a seminar which was a month away. Plus, I had a conflict on the date of the next one, so I wouldn't even be able to get info from them until the middle of August.

Talking to Carolyn today was a great experience, and prompted me to take the plunge. Still a little unsure about this whole thing, but the posts have been great.

Darrin, I hope your experience was positive. Please post when you are up to it.

Hi! Thank you for your comments. Congratulations on your decision to have lap-band surgery. I'm glad to hear you too have had a positive experience in booking your surgery. The next few weeks will pass by quickly. If you have not already received it, you will soon get a patient information packet that help explain everything you need to do to prepare for surgery. I used a calendar to keep track of everything I needed to get done! Keep us posted and best wishes!

Hi! Thank you for your comments. Congratulations on your decision to have lap-band surgery. I'm glad to hear you too have had a positive experience in booking your surgery. The next few weeks will pass by quickly. If you have not already received it, you will soon get a patient information packet that help explain everything you need to do to prepare for surgery. I used a calendar to keep track of everything I needed to get done! Keep us posted and best wishes!

Thanks for the encouragement. Your other detailed post really helped me decide to do it. I really appreciated the play by play. You are very inspiring. I can't wait to get going on this.

I just finished Dr. Ortiz's book. I got it from Amazon tonight, and sat down and read it cover to cover. One thing I read that surprised me was that pineapple is a bad thing. Too fibrous it said. Hmmm...

One thing I really liked was the fact that us men lose faster. Hehe. Also found it odd that 80% of bandsters are female. Glad to see guys like Darrin in the group. Hope the surgery went well and I'll be glad to hear about your experience.

I'm set for August 4th, and wish I could get it sooner. I have a vacation the middle of July, and it'll be too hard to travel on liquids. I'm caught now between having multiple "last suppers" and getting ready for the month o' liquids.

It's great to read the posts. Keep postin'!

Rid

I am scheduled for surgery 7/12 and have some other questions. How much money do you bring? Do you take a credit card or cash? What about tipping? How about paying for food for the one going with you or for yourself after surgery at the hotel?

Hello out there. I am also an August bander. My surgery is scheduled for late August and already I am doing the "last dinner' routine and have started gaining weight! AHHHHH!

In reply to the previous post--I will probably bring travelers checks or something of that sort--I feel safer that way. I will probably bring around $2-300 for me and my husband. You know we have to buy a lot of gifts for the kids!

Well, safe journey to us all!

Hello out there. I am also an August bander. My surgery is scheduled for late August and already I am doing the "last dinner' routine and have started gaining weight! AHHHHH!

In reply to the previous post--I will probably bring travelers checks or something of that sort--I feel safer that way. I will probably bring around $2-300 for me and my husband. You know we have to buy a lot of gifts for the kids!

I completely forgot about traveler's checks. Sounds like a good idea. Any idea on the tipping...who,how much?

Charlie

I am scheduled for surgery 7/12 and have some other questions. How much money do you bring? Do you take a credit card or cash? What about tipping? How about paying for food for the one going with you or for yourself after surgery at the hotel?

Forgot something else. I have started weight lifting class and seem to be adding some pounds. Not sure if it is muscle (ha,ha) or what as I have not changed the way I eat. Am going to do the aerobics instead.

Charlie

I just finished Dr. Ortiz's book. I got it from Amazon tonight, and sat down and read it cover to cover. One thing I read that surprised me was that pineapple is a bad thing. Too fibrous it said. Hmmm...

One thing I really liked was the fact that us men lose faster. Hehe. Also found it odd that 80% of bandsters are female. Glad to see guys like Darrin in the group. Hope the surgery went well and I'll be glad to hear about your experience.

I'm set for August 4th, and wish I could get it sooner. I have a vacation the middle of July, and it'll be too hard to travel on liquids. I'm caught now between having multiple "last suppers" and getting ready for the month o' liquids.

It's great to read the posts. Keep postin'!

Rid

Rid,

7 days out and 20 lbs lighter...YEAH! I aksed Doctor Miranda about the pineapple too. It really won't be a problem if you chew it correctly. And not too much at one time.

The surgery went GREAT - I hear it only took 15 minutes. I went in about 1pm, and I was walking around around 7pm. Spent the night then spent two nights at the hotel which were great. My only pain right now is really only an ache where the port is.

I'm not really hungry, but drinking so much in fluids helps a lot - and the jello! I just learned to appreciate Jello once again. Tomorrow I get to add Non-fat yogurt!

Darrin

Rid,

7 days out and 20 lbs lighter...YEAH! I aksed Doctor Miranda about the pineapple too. It really won't be a problem if you chew it correctly. And not too much at one time.

The surgery went GREAT - I hear it only took 15 minutes. I went in about 1pm, and I was walking around around 7pm. Spent the night then spent two nights at the hotel which were great. My only pain right now is really only an ache where the port is.

I'm not really hungry, but drinking so much in fluids helps a lot - and the jello! I just learned to appreciate Jello once again. Tomorrow I get to add Non-fat yogurt!

Darrin

Congrats, Darrin. That's really great. I can't believe 20 pounds in 7 days! That's just great. I was hoping for 40 by the end of the year, and if I do half as well as you I should make it no problem. Another question for you... Any shoulder pain? Also, how long before surgery did you diet, and what did you do?

Congrats, Darrin. That's really great. I can't believe 20 pounds in 7 days! That's just great. I was hoping for 40 by the end of the year, and if I do half as well as you I should make it no problem. Another question for you... Any shoulder pain? Also, how long before surgery did you diet, and what did you do?

Rid,

I didn't really experience any shoulder pain, and if I did it was no worse than the pain I felt at the Port site - which is fine now, but for the last few days was an ache I could have done without. It made me feel like I didn't want to do anything movement wise.

I didn't follow the doctors orders before my surgery (because I was on a week long cruise) so I didn't start to diet until I got home 4 days before. All Dr. Miranda is concerned about is 5% weight loss before surgery. From the time you fill out you paperwork and fax it in, until you get there the day before the surgery. Since I had 6 weeks before my surgery, I started eating better and with smaller portions (which I had been doing for a year) and didn't really "diet".

Darrin

Rid,

I didn't really experience any shoulder pain, and if I did it was no worse than the pain I felt at the Port site - which is fine now, but for the last few days was an ache I could have done without. It made me feel like I didn't want to do anything movement wise.

I didn't follow the doctors orders before my surgery (because I was on a week long cruise) so I didn't start to diet until I got home 4 days before. All Dr. Miranda is concerned about is 5% weight loss before surgery. From the time you fill out you paperwork and fax it in, until you get there the day before the surgery. Since I had 6 weeks before my surgery, I started eating better and with smaller portions (which I had been doing for a year) and didn't really "diet".

Darrin

I just talked to my mom last night who had an experience with abdominal surgery and getting filled with the CO2. She said it REALLY hurt have a torso filled with co2. Glad to hear it wasn't that bad for you.

What's your age, weight, etc? I'm 34 and 293 lbs at about 5'6".

Thanks for responding. Good to have a male perspective some times.

Rid

I've read a lot of posts expressing concern about anticipated discomfort. The unknown is pretty scary and comparing experiences certainly gives you an idea of what to expect, but everyone experiences pain differently. What is hurts for some doesn't hurt at all for others. The best way to anticipate the level of discomfort you might have is to think about the times you've experienced pain. Does a headache send you to the Tylenol bottle ASAP or do you get busy, push through it and go about your day? When you have the flu do you lie in bed next to death or do you rest, take care of yourself and get back to life? If you'd had surgery in the past, how much pain did you have? There is no norm for pain ... it's totally subjective and an individual experience. I've read posts from people who have slept on their abdomen the day after surgery and was astounded because I couldn't lie on my left side for several weeks and then I had to have a comfy little pillow tucked between my tummy and the mattress! I didn't have a problem with the CO2 and took the Gas X strips just to make sure I didn't. On the day of discharge from the clinic, we went shopping and walked, walked, tooted, giggled, and walked some more! The pain medication does help with the discomfort and liquid adult Tylenol is a good alternative.

Chelley,

Liquid Tylenol because you can't take pills after?

Thanks,

Rid

Hi Rid - Liquid adult Tylenol just works faster, zips right through the banded area so you can get relief. Dr. Ortiz told my mom, sister and I that medications any larger than a round little Advil should be taken with caution. By the way, Advil and any other drug in its category called NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin) are not recommended because they can cause stomach upset and lead to possible band errosion. Since being banded, I've taken capsules like Benadryl and such and have even used the small round white Tylenol tablets. Anything larger than that, I just check to make sure it can be crushed (if you don't know ask your pharmacist) and I usually mix it with a bite of sugar free pudding or applesauce. Recently, I had to be on antibiotics because of an allergic reaction to a wasp sting and asked the physician for a liquid version of the medication and a medication that wasn't irritating to the stomach. We all know how big some antibiotic tablets or capsules can be and some of them do cause stomach upset... and I didn't want any chances ... so I got the bubble gum flavored (man that's a joke..tasted like.. well that's another story) version of Keflex. :lol: Hope this answers your question. Take care! Chelley

Hi Rid - Liquid adult Tylenol just works faster, zips right through the banded area so you can get relief. Dr. Ortiz told my mom, sister and I that medications any larger than a round little Advil should be taken with caution. By the way, Advil and any other drug in its category called NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin) are not recommended because they can cause stomach upset and lead to possible band errosion. Since being banded, I've taken capsules like Benadryl and such and have even used the small round white Tylenol tablets. Anything larger than that, I just check to make sure it can be crushed (if you don't know ask your pharmacist) and I usually mix it with a bite of sugar free pudding or applesauce. Recently, I had to be on antibiotics because of an allergic reaction to a wasp sting and asked the physician for a liquid version of the medication and a medication that wasn't irritating to the stomach. We all know how big some antibiotic tablets or capsules can be and some of them do cause stomach upset... and I didn't want any chances ... so I got the bubble gum flavored (man that's a joke..tasted like.. well that's another story) version of Keflex. :lol: Hope this answers your question. Take care! Chelley

Perfect. That's something I haven't read much about yet. Thanks for the info.

my surgery date is 7/18. it was only a week ago that i made the decision to make the appointment. the postings on the forum convinced and reassured me. i am not nervous at all but very excited.

since i live in boston it will be quite a hike for fills etc. i dont care though-i have wanted this for a long time.

i am curious about the gas?? and about what the eating program post op is

is anyone out there scheduled for the 18th?

my surgery date is 7/18. it was only a week ago that i made the decision to make the appointment. the postings on the forum convinced and reassured me. i am not nervous at all but very excited.

since i live in boston it will be quite a hike for fills etc. i dont care though-i have wanted this for a long time.

i am curious about the gas?? and about what the eating program post op is

is anyone out there scheduled for the 18th?

Lin - In order to do laproscopic surgery, the doctor inflates your abdomen with gas to make your tummy rise like a tent to give them enough room to visualize your abdominal cavity and to use their instruments safely. Once the procedure is complete, some of this gas may remain in the abdominal cavity and is absorbed by the body. As a result, some people have shoulder pain or pains in the trunk of their body not to mention the discomfort of having had surgery. Walking is really the only effective way to help the body get rid of the excess gas. It's not a time to be shy about tooting in public... let it go because gas pains can hurt worse than the actual incisions. Many of us have found that the Gas X strips that melt on your tongue help combate gas. You can find these Gas X strips at most Wal-Mart Super Centers. Congratulations on your decision to have the band. Carolyn, Dr. Ortiz's patient coordinator, may be able to give you a list of doctors in your area that perform fills for Mexico patients. Also Dr. Ortiz is accociated with Fill USA which are centers that are just up and comming dedicated to fills and follow up care for lap band patients. There may be one in your area! Best wishes! Chelley

I don't recommend taking traveler's checks with you. Take about 50 $1 bills for tips and such, but hit an ATM machine and get your pesos that way. Right now the exchange rate is about 10 pesos = $1, so don't be shocked when you see something that says it costs 59.05 pesos, thats roughly equivalent to $6.

Also, call your bank and your credit card companies and let them know you will be in Mexico. They'll ask for the specific dates and what you might be spending money on. I did that for my June vacation in Mexico and had no problems. I bank with B of A and they only charged me $2 for each time I accessed my account via the ATM.

One final thing, most of the stores I made purchases at would add it up on the calculator and show it to me. It was easy to make the conversion and I got some great deals.

Take care,

Janice

Scheduled with Dr. Ortiz 7-27-06

Anyone else going to TJ then?

7/8

Hi there:

Just a note of reassurance: I just returned today from having lap-band surgery and I've gotta tell you, it was pretty much a breeze. I had the surgery on 7/6, and have been feeling relatively well with little discomfort. The best part of the surgery was the care I received from the Kuri team. Each of them were wonderful... they have patient care down to a science.

The little pointers that helped me were to lay flat after the surgery - it helps the gas dissapate easier instead of settling in one place. Also, walk as much as you can - believe me, I was a tooting machine (as all patients are) but at least I was relieving pressure from my abdomen.

So for me, the mild discomfort was far outweighed by the impending results. I met so many wonderful banders who were going in for their fills or even cosmetic surgery because of the amount of weight they had lost: Nothing but smiles and laughter.

So, eat everything you want to eat (I gained about 2-pounds before the surgery), make sure you do your grocery shopping before you come home so your jello is made, and enjoy the journey. While mine is just beginning, I can already tell it's going to be the ride of a lifetime!

~ Julia

I don't recommend taking traveler's checks with you. Take about 50 $1 bills for tips and such, but hit an ATM machine and get your pesos that way. Right now the exchange rate is about 10 pesos = $1, so don't be shocked when you see something that says it costs 59.05 pesos, thats roughly equivalent to $6.

Also, call your bank and your credit card companies and let them know you will be in Mexico. They'll ask for the specific dates and what you might be spending money on. I did that for my June vacation in Mexico and had no problems. I bank with B of A and they only charged me $2 for each time I accessed my account via the ATM.

One final thing, most of the stores I made purchases at would add it up on the calculator and show it to me. It was easy to make the conversion and I got some great deals.

Take care,

Janice

Scheduled with Dr. Ortiz 7-27-06

Anyone else going to TJ then?

I only wanted to add that I used dollars and had no trouble. At the Lucerna hotel the resturant calculates your bill in both peso's and dollars. All shops I encountered at the mall just down the street from the Lucerna and the shops on Revolution Ave all took dollars. The taxi drivers all took dollars. An easy way to make the conversion is just drop a decimal point. If something is listed at 70 pesos just know it should be around $7. All the shop keepers on Revolution Ave. bartered in dollars. If you like silver jewlery, you can find some really great bargins! I got several very nice heavy silver bracelets for $10 each that would have retailed in the US for over $50. Be a smart shopper tho ... real silver is stamped and does not adhere to a magnet. If you are shopping for gold.. just beware a lot of it is sterling with gold overlay. The bargins are so fabulous, I spent all my trinket money on nice jewlery and hand tooled leather items. Chelley

7/8dear julia,

thank you for the encouraging note. i am really very excited.

i was told that i couldn't eat anything for a week before surgery except meal replacement shakes. i

Hi there:

Just a note of reassurance: I just returned today from having lap-band surgery and I've gotta tell you, it was pretty much a breeze. I had the surgery on 7/6, and have been feeling relatively well with little discomfort. The best part of the surgery was the care I received from the Kuri team. Each of them were wonderful... they have patient care down to a science.

The little pointers that helped me were to lay flat after the surgery - it helps the gas dissapate easier instead of settling in one place. Also, walk as much as you can - believe me, I was a tooting machine (as all patients are) but at least I was relieving pressure from my abdomen.

So for me, the mild discomfort was far outweighed by the impending results. I met so many wonderful banders who were going in for their fills or even cosmetic surgery because of the amount of weight they had lost: Nothing but smiles and laughter.

So, eat everything you want to eat (I gained about 2-pounds before the surgery), make sure you do your grocery shopping before you come home so your jello is made, and enjoy the journey. While mine is just beginning, I can already tell it's going to be the ride of a lifetime!

~ Julia

I carried a few hundred dollars of cash and my credit card when my daughter had her surgery. I came home with most of my cash. When you get to the hotel, open a "voucher" with the front desk using your credit card. This will allow you to "charge" your husbands meals at the restaurants, room service, etc. On the day you depart, go to the front desk and they will have your total ready. You sign your CC receipt and be on your way. It takes a LOT of hassle out of the trip. I loved this convenience. Just order what you want and sign the ticket with your name and room number.

Know one thing about American Express if you plan to use it. You MUST let them know you are going out of the country and what dates you'll be gone or they'll decline your card. Found out this the hard way, but one single phone call took care of that problem.

By the way, my cell phone still thought I was in the states, so I used it constantly since I have national coverage.

Also, on tipping. I found that they add a 10% tip to your total meal. I just added a little more to it to meet the customary 15% tip.

American cash is accepted just about anywhere you go in TJ- except the vending machines. You can go to the front desk and ask for pesos for your dollars and use the vending machines. Cokes are roughly 50 cents out of the machine. Granted, bandsters cant drink the cokes, but your husband may want one. Also, you can get them at the restaurant in cans.

Hope this helps!