Making the WLS decision-Lapband vs. MGB

OK everyone, help! As I researched information about lapband, I came across info regarding the mini gastric bypass. As you guys have done your research also, I'm sure that some of you considered that alternative. From what I can tell there would be less follow up after surgery(no fills) along with some other benefits over lap banding. I'm leaning towards the MGB instead yet I feel that I am missing some vital information as the lap band is so very much more popular. Any ideas, thoughts, research etc. about why you chose lap band over other options will be greatly appreciated!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM AND HAVE FOUND YOU GUYS MORE HELPFUL THAN OTHERS ON OTHER FORUMS1

Hi there,

I researched all options, gastric bypass, duodenal switch and lap banding. Even though you have have more f/up visits with the band, the surgery is less invasive and you recover more quickly. I was not keen on getting my stomach cut or stapled, which again lead me into the lap band direction. Lap band is considered permanent as the other surgical options are, but it can be removed, if medically necessary or if I choose to.

The diet plan for all three options is not much different, the weight loss with the band is slower, which is also what I wanted to minimize loose skin and have the opportunity to exercise and create some muscle where the fat is slowly reducing.

I live in Ontario, Canada, where gastric bypass and duodenal switch are covered by our provincial health care plan in Ontario...so I could get it completely paid for....but I chose to pay for by lap band at a whopping 15K. If that doesn't tell you something about how sure I am about the band?!

Only you can decide what is right for you. Good luck with your decision.

Cathy

I made my decision because I didn't want to do anything that would drastically change my body and its original makeup. Adding a band slows down the food from entering your stomach and creates a full feeling, it does not change how you process your food. And from what I understand cutting your stomach changes how you process your food. Also the lap band can be easily reversed. And I'm to the point where I am almost done losing my weight and I will need to go on a stabilizing program. I can have some of my filled removed if I need to eat more, and say I gain some weight back and need to loose - I can have more fill added. I manage my lap band - it doesn't manage me.

Take care, every decision we make for our own bodies is personal.

Best,

Lisa

I made my decision because I didn't want to do anything that would drastically change my body and its original makeup. Adding a band slows down the food from entering your stomach and creates a full feeling, it does not change how you process your food. And from what I understand cutting your stomach changes how you process your food. Also the lap band can be easily reversed. And I'm to the point where I am almost done losing my weight and I will need to go on a stabilizing program. I can have some of my filled removed if I need to eat more, and say I gain some weight back and need to loose - I can have more fill added. I manage my lap band - it doesn't manage me.

Take care, every decision we make for our own bodies is personal.

Best,

Lisa

I'm very glad that you have had great success with the band. One of my concerns is that I will not be able to use the band well and that I will have little to no weight loss. In my research that has come up frequently. Also the feeling of being hungry all the time. I feel as if I don't have a turn off valve and I'm hearing that people still always feel hungry with the band.? By the way, I'm in Spokane. Nice to hear from a fellow Washingtonian.

I never considered Gastric Bypass, and I had never even heard of the Mini Gastric Bypass, but I did some research and found this:

New Study Shows Mini Gastric Bypass Helps the Morbidly Obese

BY: SANAE K. TANAKA, M.D.

mini gastric bypass surgery an option for morbid obesity

A recent comparative study in Taiwan between patients who underwent a laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and patients who had a laparoscopic mini-gastric bypass shows that the mini-gastric bypass procedure offers the same benefits as the more common Roux-en-Y surgery for people with morbid obesity.

In the study, reported by Tai-Chi Chen et al in the Annals of Surgery, patients requiring bariatric surgery were randomly assigned to two groups, one to undergo the standard laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and the other the laparoscopic mini-gastric bypass. The patients were followed for two years after the operation and compared for short-term and long-term complications along with weight loss, improvement in comorbidities in terms of the metabolic syndrome, and quality of life satisfaction as assessed with a standardized questionnaire.

Although the weight loss a year later was higher for those that had the mini-gastric bypass procedure, there was no difference in average overall weight loss between the two groups two years after the operation.

In addition, the rate of short-term major post-operative complications was higher with the Roux-en-Y patients, while there was no difference with minor complications. With long-term complications, only the hemoglobin level of the mini-gastric bypass group was lower than the Roux-en-Y group. There were no significant differences in other parameters that were followed. With both groups, those diagnosed with the metabolic syndrome had 100 percent cure ratio. Both groups also reported significant improvement in the quality of life satisfaction post-op assessment.

Overall, the laparoscopic mini-gastric bypass is a simpler procedure than the standard laparoscopic Roux-en-Y surgery. Since there are no major differences either in complications or in improved quality of life post-op between the two patient groups, researchers believe the mini-gastric bypass procedure is a viable alternative method for surgical treatment of morbid obesity.

Here's a picture:

mini-gbs.gif

I never considered Gastric Bypass, and I had never even heard of the Mini Gastric Bypass, but I did some research and found this:

New Study Shows Mini Gastric Bypass Helps the Morbidly Obese

BY: SANAE K. TANAKA, M.D.

mini gastric bypass surgery an option for morbid obesity

A recent comparative study in Taiwan between patients who underwent a laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and patients who had a laparoscopic mini-gastric bypass shows that the mini-gastric bypass procedure offers the same benefits as the more common Roux-en-Y surgery for people with morbid obesity.

In the study, reported by Tai-Chi Chen et al in the Annals of Surgery, patients requiring bariatric surgery were randomly assigned to two groups, one to undergo the standard laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and the other the laparoscopic mini-gastric bypass. The patients were followed for two years after the operation and compared for short-term and long-term complications along with weight loss, improvement in comorbidities in terms of the metabolic syndrome, and quality of life satisfaction as assessed with a standardized questionnaire.

Although the weight loss a year later was higher for those that had the mini-gastric bypass procedure, there was no difference in average overall weight loss between the two groups two years after the operation.

In addition, the rate of short-term major post-operative complications was higher with the Roux-en-Y patients, while there was no difference with minor complications. With long-term complications, only the hemoglobin level of the mini-gastric bypass group was lower than the Roux-en-Y group. There were no significant differences in other parameters that were followed. With both groups, those diagnosed with the metabolic syndrome had 100 percent cure ratio. Both groups also reported significant improvement in the quality of life satisfaction post-op assessment.

Overall, the laparoscopic mini-gastric bypass is a simpler procedure than the standard laparoscopic Roux-en-Y surgery. Since there are no major differences either in complications or in improved quality of life post-op between the two patient groups, researchers believe the mini-gastric bypass procedure is a viable alternative method for surgical treatment of morbid obesity.

Here's a picture:

mini-gbs.gif

Hey Mama, I spent all day yesterday researching the mini. I had never heard of it either until I was researching lapband. There is a website, www.clos.net which has a great deal of info from a Dr. in Las Vegas who has allegedly patented some of this procedure. I would never do the RNY gastric bypass as that is way too invasive but the mini sounds like a viable option and may help more with my hunger pains and the surgery is only about 15 minutes longer than lapband. You've had great success with the band! Congrats and thanks for the photos! This is such a tough decision and I really want to do what fits best for me and my circumstances. I have not heard one negative thing about Dr. Ortiz and his staff so my real decision is between the types of surgeries. Oh I'm so confused :unsure:

Hi there,

I researched all options, gastric bypass, duodenal switch and lap banding. Even though you have have more f/up visits with the band, the surgery is less invasive and you recover more quickly. I was not keen on getting my stomach cut or stapled, which again lead me into the lap band direction. Lap band is considered permanent as the other surgical options are, but it can be removed, if medically necessary or if I choose to.

The diet plan for all three options is not much different, the weight loss with the band is slower, which is also what I wanted to minimize loose skin and have the opportunity to exercise and create some muscle where the fat is slowly reducing.

I live in Ontario, Canada, where gastric bypass and duodenal switch are covered by our provincial health care plan in Ontario...so I could get it completely paid for....but I chose to pay for by lap band at a whopping 15K. If that doesn't tell you something about how sure I am about the band?!

Only you can decide what is right for you. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the reply and best of luck to you. I wish I was to the point where I knew what I was going to do and moving forward to do it!!!

Cathy

Thanks for the reply and best of luck to you. I wish I was to the point where I knew what I was going to do and moving forward to do it!!!

Something that I heard on another board where they were discussing the pros and cons between Bypass and Lap Band was that the instances of people getting a Lap Band after their failure with Gastric Bypass (meaning they regained some or all of their lost weight) was like 300 times more common than people who failed with a lap band and then had to have the bypass.. Just food for thought!

Lpa Band is reversable. Is the other ??? Hum ! jenn

Also,, that Doctor in Vegas really sales the crap out of that mini by-pass. He's had some things posted at other forums if I remember right. I'd be checking him out and doing some hot and heavy web searches.

I know what you mean about the salesmanship, it's kind of a turn off. However I am trying to get to the meat of the information about both the lapband and MGB, and am finding conflicting information, or studies that don't answer my questions, or studies that I am uncomfortable with because there are too many bias's and it seems slanted to support whatever product is being sold. I really do appreciate everyone's input! I've spent the last 48 hours mostly on the internet checking out all this info.

Something that I heard on another board where they were discussing the pros and cons between Bypass and Lap Band was that the instances of people getting a Lap Band after their failure with Gastric Bypass (meaning they regained some or all of their lost weight) was like 300 times more common than people who failed with a lap band and then had to have the bypass.. Just food for thought!

That's the kind of information I'm looking for! Do you know where I can find actual studies/numbers of bypass and lapband failures? Somehow I hae been unable to find that yet. :blink:

Well, I chose to have the lap band surgery after researching my options extensively. I have had weight problems ever since I can remember. I have always been the chubby girl, and I have been successful getting weight off in the past, but have ALWAYS, withour fail, gained it back. The problem lies in the fact that I am OBESE, but not OBESE ENOUGH to have a surgery as serious as Gastric bypass, or even a mini bypass. There was actually a thread a while back about this exact thing - those of us who have severe weight problems/are obese, but no Dr. or surgeon is even willing to consider WLS for us because we aren't quite fat enough. Its really messed up if you ask me. I mean, for someone who has had a 15+ yrs of being overweight/having weight problems, I would think that WLS would serve as a preventative measure for these individuals. CLEARLY diet and exercise alone are not good enough - I can attest to this fact. Not to mention that I (and many other people on thos forum I am sure) have several health problems that impede my body's ability to shed pounds. It just makes no sense to me that WLS is not an option to those of us who are told that we are obese and we should do something about it, even after all the diets in the world don't work, and even Dr. monitored ones at that.

Its extremely frustrating and disheartening when it feels as though there are just no options, and no one is able to help... the Dr.'s, the ones who we are counting on to give us options, can really only tell us to eat less and exercise more - its easier said than done. SO, I chose the lap band procedure after researching Dr. Ortiz EXTENSIVELY. I came on here and read these threads for hours and hours, I researched him on other websites, read his credentials, etc. I ultimately decided to go through with it because I think that having the band there as a back up measure for my over eating will be so helpful. While the band is not a 'cure' for my overeating, it will provide a level of restriction that will help me to stop eating and be fuller sooner. It is going to be rough going back for fills and stuff, but once you get the perfect fill level, weight loss will be so much easier. I am one of many, I am sure, who go with this option because there is no other option for me. I am fat, but unless I gain about 50 more lbs, which I am NOT WILLING to do, I am not even a candidate for a more extensive surgery. I am actually blessed and happy though that I am not, because I think with the band, I will feel like I did most of the work myself and I will feel more confident that I CAN do this - I just need a little help, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Regarding the mini gastric surgery, I have 3 clients who had there surgery done with the guy in Vegas. One went back for a revision at 17 thousand a pop, and the other 2 never lost all there weight, one actually gained hers back!

All these surgery's are tools to lose weight. Not a cure all!! I maybe would have had a gastric if I weighted enough because it's alot quicker, but the band is good for me!! I'm impatient! and it's alot healthier to lose it slower. All my clients who have had the surgery have lost alot of hair and never regrown it back!! and there skin is just sagging and hanging. Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey!! What ever you decide!! =D>

Donna

Hi Traci!

Whatever you decide I'm sure you will make the best decision for your situation. That being said, being banded almost 4 years, having friends, 3 to be exact, having GBS, and talking to hundreds of bandsters over the years you're going to find they are 2 dramactically different surgeries, with different results, as well as complications. The biggest difference is the pace of weight loss. With GBS your weight loss is fast, incredibly so. Due to the surgery, not your mind over food, not emotional eating, not exercise. You have no choice. The band is only a tool. Dramatic weight loss comes from huge calorie restriction and excessive exercise. The band can be an incredible tool, with education, support, exercise and your mind being in the right place. Just remember your pace os wiehgt loss will be slower. Another thing to consider 50% of people who get band surgery would not qualify for GBS, due to their BMI not being high enough, no other medical problems, no family history of morbid obesity, etc. It is much easier, especially in Mexico to qualify for the band. My GBS friends are lucky, great results, little if no complications, I've heard happy and not so happy results from other bandsters. Find other websites or support groups with veterans of all weight loss surgeries. Good luck in your journey, and I wish you all of the luck in the world!!!! Helena ><'

Traci, whatever you decide to do, just keep in mind that these surgeries are not miracles. They do not melt the fat and they do not push the plate back. Although they do help, and speaking of lap band, they help a lot you still have work to do. Just as you can stretch the pouch out that is created with lap band you can also stretch out the new route going to the intestine with bypass. It happens!! The risks with gastric bypass are greater as you are actually rearranging organs. When I was in nursing school I took care of 2 patients that were in multi system organ failure years after gastric bypass from the malabsorption that is associated with gastric bypass. You are probably like I was....I heard that you lose more weight with bypass. Most 5yr statistics show that lap band patients lose the same amount of weight as gastric bypass patients. Whatever you decide to do - Just do your research! Research the procedure, the long term effects, the number of patients that have had it done, the MD, the facility, everything. Leave no stone unturned. For me, I did consider gastric bypass....but I did not want the invasiveness of that nor did I have the money for it. I really like the idea of lap band but I did not have the money for it either. But when I heard about Lap band in Mexico and the price difference, I knew it was for me.

Regarding the mini gastric surgery, I have 3 clients who had there surgery done with the guy in Vegas. One went back for a revision at 17 thousand a pop, and the other 2 never lost all there weight, one actually gained hers back!

All these surgery's are tools to lose weight. Not a cure all!! I maybe would have had a gastric if I weighted enough because it's alot quicker, but the band is good for me!! I'm impatient! and it's alot healthier to lose it slower. All my clients who have had the surgery have lost alot of hair and never regrown it back!! and there skin is just sagging and hanging. Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey!! What ever you decide!! =D>

Donna

Donna is so right. The work is hard and long but in the end the payoff is great. The band is not as evasive as gastric or any cutting of any kind. Please take that in mind. But the work always starts and ends with the patient and how they work at it. The band is tool to helkp you in your weight loss. Cassie got her's 4 years ago. There was hardly anything out there on the information. But there where two things that made the final decision. Dr. ORtiz and it is reversible. Now that Cassie is 17 she is doing great and continues to be. If she could do it at 13 you know that you can do it and the surgery complications are minor. Jenn

These are such great responses especially the pictures very helpful. I am new and just starting out trying to learn all I can about the band and I feel it is the right choice for me, hope to get a date for surgery in June.

I'm very glad that you have had great success with the band. One of my concerns is that I will not be able to use the band well and that I will have little to no weight loss. In my research that has come up frequently. Also the feeling of being hungry all the time. I feel as if I don't have a turn off valve and I'm hearing that people still always feel hungry with the band.? By the way, I'm in Spokane. Nice to hear from a fellow Washingtonian.

You do know that with a gastric bypas if you do not monitor and measure how much you eat, you can gain weight with it.. If you think that the Gastric bypass is going to save you from bad habits, it won't..

Hello,

Sorry I missed your response to me. Everyone has that concern and as noted so well by all the ladies, we own our own successes and failures. I'm honestly not as hungry with my band if I have it filled properly. I have failed at so many diets and the band worked for me, (since I'm a big wuss, it means it is easier than many diets). You do have a valve, its the band, the tigher it is the less hungry you are, you just have to be careful not to get it too tight. I've had 9 fills, no unfills - but I do keep it pretty darn tight since I am someone that needs control over my eating. (I have the VG band since I was bigger which requires more fills, the smaller bands require less fills so its really dependant on what the dr says you should have).

Its great to hear from a fellow Washingtonian as well, and there are many of us on this board.

Let me know if you need anything, I'm in Snoqualmie and if you're ever on this side and want to meet up I'd be happy to sit down and talk!

Take care,

Lisa