Just made my Second fill Appt!

Ok, so I just got my fill May 5th. I started eating solids yesterday and I do feel a little more restricted than with the band empty. I can still eat bread and pasta. I know a lot of you out there have difficulty eating these things and I know that we are all different. I called to day OCC and made another appt for June 2 for my second fill.

Before I decided to go to TJ to get my surgery with Dr. Ortiz I was trying to get approved by my insurance here in Mesa AZ. Long story short I decided OCC. When I got back from TJ I called that Doctor in Mesa and ask if I could get my fills with him. His office told me that they don't take any patients that have had the surgery outside of the United States. I was very shocked by this news. I called my Internist who is one of my very good girlfriends and she said she would talk to him. So his office called me and told me they would see me and his fills cost $200. I thought great, I will get my first fill at OCC and then I would get me next one here in AZ.

I called today and they told me the Dr here doesn't use the fluro process. Again I was shocked. I asked the nurse how he knows how much to put in and how is he going to know exactly where my port is. I asked if he did the fluro at all and she said yes, but that would be more.

With all this I have more confidence with OCC than with this good Doctor. I will be getting all my care with OCC they really know what they are doing more so than some think.

Maytee

It's not uncommon for fill doctors in US to NOT use fluoro for their fills. And even then, when they do, the do it for the sole reason to find a buried port - they don't do it to measure the fill - most do not have license or whatever is needed to offer the barium while getting the fill. So yes, they charge more, and do not do what OCC does - which is actually meausure how fast our liquid is going thru.

Dr. Ortiz hopes to get us thru to our goal with only 2-3 fills in our lifetime. I know people who have had more fills at OCC, but if that's his goal - count me in!!!

I know they say that's his goal, but do we know anybody that say has to lose no less than say 75 lbs and have done it with only 2 or 3 fills. I'd love to know.

I know they say that's his goal, but do we know anybody that say has to lose no less than say 75 lbs and have done it with only 2 or 3 fills. I'd love to know.

I would be interested in knowing as well. The main reason for me travelling to Mexico for this is the low cost of the procedure an second is his experince with the procedure. It's a little scary to see people having fills and unfills. I personally can not travel all that way everytime I need a fill, as I am looking at $1000+ each trip. I am going to have to depend on a nurse that does them here at home, of course if something does not feel right I will have to go back to the clinic. I had a trip booked to Vegas, before this procedure was even a consideration, in September so I will make the trip to the clinic to have things checked out. I am hoping for the best. :D

I totally agree that Dr. Ortiz should not insist that 2-3 fills in a lifetime is the norm, basic medical research says that after losing a considerable amount of weight another fill will be needed one study I read said that every 30lbs you lose another fill is suggested! I do know of one girl who has been banded for almost 2 years and only had 1 fill, she got 2.0cc's on her first fill at OCC and she freely admits it was (and still is) a little too tight as she PB's a few times a week but doesn't want to got for an unfill.

Ok, so I just got my fill May 5th. I started eating solids yesterday and I do feel a little more restricted than with the band empty. I can still eat bread and pasta. I know a lot of you out there have difficulty eating these things and I know that we are all different. I called to day OCC and made another appt for June 2 for my second fill.

Before I decided to go to TJ to get my surgery with Dr. Ortiz I was trying to get approved by my insurance here in Mesa AZ. Long story short I decided OCC. When I got back from TJ I called that Doctor in Mesa and ask if I could get my fills with him. His office told me that they don't take any patients that have had the surgery outside of the United States. I was very shocked by this news. I called my Internist who is one of my very good girlfriends and she said she would talk to him. So his office called me and told me they would see me and his fills cost $200. I thought great, I will get my first fill at OCC and then I would get me next one here in AZ.

I called today and they told me the Dr here doesn't use the fluro process. Again I was shocked. I asked the nurse how he knows how much to put in and how is he going to know exactly where my port is. I asked if he did the fluro at all and she said yes, but that would be more.

With all this I have more confidence with OCC than with this good Doctor. I will be getting all my care with OCC they really know what they are doing more so than some think.

Maytee

Hi, I am in Mesa AZ too. I looked on the internet for docs here and found no one to do it. The fill centers here dont have fluroscopy. Even the dr that was proctored by dr ortiz wont fill TJ patients... UGH Teri

Hi, I am in Mesa AZ too. I looked on the internet for docs here and found no one to do it. The fill centers here dont have fluroscopy. Even the dr that was proctored by dr ortiz wont fill TJ patients... UGH Teri

Teri,

I know! It's very frustrating!!!! I can't believe they don't do fluro. The Doc here in Mesa said he would take me but they have never seen a patient that has had the band done outside the US. I would be their first. I have a consultation appt. with him next week. I have a lot of questions for him. If you want I will let you know what He said if your interested.

We should get together sometime!

Maytee