Has anyone used weight loss drugs after being banded?

I began using a weight loss drug, due to me gaining 5 pounds and not being able to lose weight since Sept of 2007. I was wondering if anyone else has tried weight loss methods or medicine ( prescription or non prescription)? I began using EvonimeX today.

No, I've lost pretty consistently and don't need anything else since I received the band. My personal feelings on this is that you have to be careful with OTC weight loss products. There are not a lot of studies to support them, many aren’t even tested and may cause long term damage. (That's why I got the band; I want something that works for me life long that will not cause side effects) I like how long they’ve been studying the band in Europe, we may be newer to it – but they’ve been using the band for a good period of time. Do you have the band and if you do, have you had consistent fills? I’m wondering what causes no weight loss in 9 months, I’ve had periods when I’m stuck, but not like that. I would be looking for other alternatives as well, just be careful.

Sorry you’re having problems and good luck!

Lisa

I just got banded in March and will have my first fill on the 29th. I got the Lapband so I could stop the cycle of taking pills, losing weight only to gain it all back +. I've taken some sort of meds. since I was about 16 and always hated it. It made me feel shakey, my heart would race and I had trouble sleeping. I believe, when I have the proper fill, that the band is going to work WITH me to lose my weight and to finally keep it off. I never heard of the med. you listed so I'm not sure how it works, but do be careful. Best wishes, Darlene

Yes I was banded May 28 and have had two fills totaling 2.7 cc's. I have great restriction some days and not so great other days. Dr Martinez said that there was no need for further fills, but like I said I got the last fill in Feb 2008 and since have gained 5 pounds. I am not sure whats up, I just know that I have stopped losing since Sept 2007. As far as exercise I work out on average 6 days a week eat no red meat, fish, eggs, pork, lamb or soda. I guess I am mostly a vegetarian besides an occasional couple of bites of chicken white meat only.

Yes I was banded May 28 and have had two fills totaling 2.7 cc's. I have great restriction some days and not so great other days. Dr Martinez said that there was no need for further fills, but like I said I got the last fill in Feb 2008 and since have gained 5 pounds. I am not sure whats up, I just know that I have stopped losing since Sept 2007. As far as exercise I work out on average 6 days a week eat no red meat, fish, eggs, pork, lamb or soda. I guess I am mostly a vegetarian besides an occasional couple of bites of chicken white meat only.

What's up is that you are probably eating too much and not exercising enough. Taking "weight loss drugs" won't help you to change your lifestyle and habits anymore now than they did before the band.

The band isn't the easy way out, but if you stick with it, you could be out of fatville forever. The pills are a temporary fix to a problem they will never cure.

Jena

Well according to the doctors at OCC I am not eating too much and I know its not a quick fix, I have been fighting the weight loss thing since puberty. I work out 6 days a week weights and cardio. I am stuck and still would like to lose. The doctors at OCC were amazed when they knew what I ate before the surgery. I eat small amounts, they were puzzled, but unfortunately genes have alot to do with it. I am looking for someone to share a similiar experience if they are out there and what they did to change other than telling me to work out more and eat less, because its not been working so far.

You are doing all the right things, so I’m sure you’re frustrated. One question, since you are working out so much do you think you might not be loosing since you are gaining muscle? I can become very muscular and I have to work out carefully so I don't start bulking up. (I got more into dancing because doing weight lifting was making me big)

Also, one extra step I took with the band that I didn’t take with other weight loss programs is I focused on the mind portion of it. Really adding in that mind body and spirit to help me get over my food issues. I know this may sound strange – but I have been thinking myself thin throughout my lap band journey.

I believe it did help me with some of my mental hunger and learning that food is really our fuel, (it can be fun sometimes however its like anything, it shouldn’t be abused).

Take care and I hope everything works out, and if you haven’t lost weight I would go back and talk to Dr Martinez just so he fully understands your progress.

Best,

Lisa

quennee, sorry to hear you are struggling right now. I too have been overweight my whole life and know how hard it is to want it to end. Please be patient, maybe it it one of the platues that everyone talks about. I'm sure you are doing what is needed on your end, but are you taking in enough protein and fiber? Just fuel for thought. Please keep us posted as we ARE here for you. Lora