lapband 5-20-08 can anyone tell me about dr.0rtiz

I was banded on 4-8-08. They pick you up at the hotel at about 7 (i think). After you get your room (the rooms are cool, you get your own HD TV and all long distance calls are free), all 3 doctors will come in your room and talk with you and will let you ask any questions. They are very good about answering your questions and putting you at ease. I went with 2 of my friends and I was the first to go back. It was amazing. No incision pain!! The only pain was gas pain. Take plenty of gas X. It really helps and walk alot. They will give you medication before you go back, actually give it to you when they start your IV. They also will give you an injection, I think it was like Lovenox, which helps with blood clots. If you have alot of questions, write them down so you will remember to ask. By the way, this place is very clean, puts some the clinics in USA to shame.

Best of luck with your sugery, it will be great!!!!

Tanya

Hi Tanya! I was banded on the 8th as well.

ALL of the staff at the OCC are wonderful. My family and friends were worried about what I was getting myself into so my step-mom went with me. She was so impressed with all of the staff, the OCC, the drivers, the hotel and the way we were treated that she's considering going there for the band herself - even if her insurance will pay for her to do it locally. She's got my sister 95% convinced to go as well!

Hopefully, that will put your mind at ease.

Jena

Guest sdejong

When your mother in law went with you, did they let her ride to the hospital with you??? I was told that they had to take a taxi???

Thanks

Shy

Hi Tanya! I was banded on the 8th as well.

ALL of the staff at the OCC are wonderful. My family and friends were worried about what I was getting myself into so my step-mom went with me. She was so impressed with all of the staff, the OCC, the drivers, the hotel and the way we were treated that she's considering going there for the band herself - even if her insurance will pay for her to do it locally. She's got my sister 95% convinced to go as well!

Hopefully, that will put your mind at ease.

Jena

I was banded on 4/8 as well!!

My family went with me also. The patients go first, so the pre-op tests begin, and the families come afterwards. Mine did not have to take a taxi. When we went shopping on Revolution Avenue, we took a cab, but that was not related to the surgery.

I was treated immaculately, and was at ease the entire time. Everything said earlier is completely accurate, and my best advice is to relax, and listen to what they tell you. If you have questions, the doctors answer them fully.

My wife commented on how clean the facility was, and how professional and courteous the staff was.

I'd do it again without thinking twice. The experience i had was A+. The gas pains are a by-product of the surgery, and everyone has them, but they are tolerable... just WALK... WALK... WALK after the surgery, and whenever you feel the pangs.

Oh, and you'll LOVE the paper thong you have to wear...... it's sexy .... LOL.

willT

It was my step-mom ;) and yes, she was able to ride with me as were all of the people who came with. On the morning of surgery, there was only enough room for the patients, the van returned and brought the other folks to the OCC. My step mom only had to take a taxi when she stayed with me after surgery. Someone from the OCC called for a taxi for her.

The OCC is close by the hotel, and you can get pretty much anywhere in TJ for $5.00! If your friend has to take a taxi, I'm sure she could share with others.

Guest sdejong

Thanks for the quick response... I am just trying to get through the nervous part of the journey. I have done my research and attended a local seminar but I still have questions.... :wacko: I feel like my head might fall off from all of the nervousness.

No need to worry! You will bond with everyone there waiting for their band. It's sort of like a family reunion with family you've never met. ><'

We were treated like queens the whole time we were there from Dr. Ortiz to the wait staff in the restaurant.

Hello there! I was a nervous freaking mess before my surg on 4/29. Dr Ortiz came in the room and told me about the procedure while he sat in the chair with his legs stretched out to the bottom of my bed and was very laid back. Hes quite entertaining. Then for 20 more minutes we compaired stories about our kids. Then his mother came in and he said "hi mama, come on in". And the 3 of us chatted about life for about 5 more minutes. You'll love him. Hes got a great sense of humor and very easy to talk to. He said "did you hear all about the rats in the Mexican surgery room?" I answered "ya, right!" He laughed and laughed. You'll be nervous but feel very well taken care of!

You can expect to be treated like a rock star. You are treated like it is an honor for the staff to have you there, compared to the usual you should be honored that the doctor is doing your surgery. Big difference.

You will have a great experience! You will love Dr Ortiz and the staff there. ALMOST EVERYONE DOES!!!

NO WORRIES!!!!

Was Banded April 14, 2008....Went to TJ alone and wasn't nervous at all. Met some wonderful people (6 others and their family members to be exact) that were also having it done. I knew the procedure was actually very short and otherwise was excited to finally have it done. The doctors were great!! They all do talk to you and let you ask your questions before the surgery so it eased my mind of any tension. GO FOR IT!!! You'll do great!!!

katinfl

You will have a great experience! You will love Dr Ortiz and the staff there. ALMOST EVERYONE DOES!!!

GETTING SO CLOSE TO MY DATE 5/20/08 GETTING VERY NERVOUS. DID ANYBODY HAVE POST-OP TESTING DONE,I THINK IT IS BARIUM TESTING,SOMETHING YOU DRINK??? KAREN