Having a second fill the month after the first

I see that some people have a second fill so soon after the first and don't understand why. Is it because the first is not working? Shouldn't it last longer than a month? Does the saline solution drip out?

Helen

No the saline should not be leaking out. When they give you a first fill although they watch the barium slowly slip through, they may not hit your "sweet spot". If you are not losing weight or see that you are still eating too much then it is time for another fill. I had my fill on May 3rd (3cc in a 4cc band) and I have a lot of restriction. I also lost 2 lbs. this week so I am okay right now. As you lose more weight the harder it is to lose. For that reason people get more fills so that the food slips through slower therefore keeping them full longer. Hope this helps.

I see that some people have a second fill so soon after the first and don't understand why. Is it because the first is not working? Shouldn't it last longer than a month? Does the saline solution drip out?

Helen

Sometimes this happens,, As you lose weight, your body is burning fat and some of the fat is the internal fat around your stomach. This will make the band looser,, which means your going to need a fill. You'll be able to tell this when you notice yourself eating larger portions and your not loosing the weight. I've had my band for 15 months, I had 4 fills in my first 10 months,, but my last fill was 5 months ago. Can I say I hit my sweet spot back in December,, maybe,,, but I can say I was close. Right now I could probably use a tweaking fill of maybe a couple tenths. I'll know this week when I go to the OCC this week for a check up.

I'm glad this question was asked because I am very concerned also. I realize about needing another fill after a weight loss, but I too noticed that an awful lot of you folks get your second fill a month after the first. To me, that is very soon and shouldn't necessarily be because of that much weight loss in one month.

Can we take a poll to see how soon people had their second fill? I ask because I am going to need to plan on flying again as soon as possible. I come from PA so I can't just hop in the car and go. Plus, I need to plan way ahead because of flight ticket prices. Just seems so many people aren't happy with their first fill, and I don't want to drag out this weight loss any longer than it already is.

I had my first fill mid January and knew it wasn't doing anything in February but waited (didn't lose anything and started gaining a bit) and finally got the second fill and started losing right away and feel satisfied. The first one just didn't seem to do anything to my appetite....so it took the second one to get to where I feel it is working. Wish I hadn't waited so long, but didn't know any better.

I'm glad this question was asked because I am very concerned also. I realize about needing another fill after a weight loss, but I too noticed that an awful lot of you folks get your second fill a month after the first. To me, that is very soon and shouldn't necessarily be because of that much weight loss in one month.

Can we take a poll to see how soon people had their second fill? I ask because I am going to need to plan on flying again as soon as possible. I come from PA so I can't just hop in the car and go. Plus, I need to plan way ahead because of flight ticket prices. Just seems so many people aren't happy with their first fill, and I don't want to drag out this weight loss any longer than it already is.

:lb12: I am also concerned about getting to TJ for the fills. I was told that it would be 2-3 fills for the life of the band, but I see 6-7 fills on some. That could cost a fortune in transportation.

Helen

Hi. No, it doesn't drip out. I had my first fill 6 weeks after the procedure cause I felt NO restriction at all with just the band. The doctor put 1.2 cc in the band my first fill. I went home for 3 weeks and still felt no restriction at all so I went back for a second fill. He put 1.0 cc in and told me to go eat lunch and see how it felt. I ate the whole lunch and could have eaten more. I went back the same day and he added another .8 cc so I am already at 3.0 cc 10 weeks after being banded. I definitely can feel the restriction now. Dr. Romero said everyone's anatomy is different. Just have to be patient while he fine tunes your band to fit you.

Sissy what size band do you have?? Lora

Lora, I have a 4 cc band. I came home Monday with the 3 cc fill and it was obvious very quickly that was too much restriction. I wasn't able to eat anything solid and liquids took a while to go down. Not a fun experience. So, I went back today and he took me back down to 1.6 cc. I could do that cause I only live a couple hours north of Tijuana. Being over restricted caused me to have acid reflux the last couple days so I had some irritation and inflammation around the band. I know you're anxious to lose the weight, I am too, but it is really best to take it SLOW.

I had my first fill April 18th, I got 1.6ccs felt no restriction for the first 6 day then it kicked in for about 2 weeks and I was losing 1 or 2lbs per week... Then the restriction went away and I stopped losing so I booked my second fill on May 16th (about a month after the 1st). Dr. Romero added .7ccs to my band (for a total of 2.3ccs) and told me to eat that day to test my restriction and I couldn't keep down 5 bites of salad that night or 4 bites of banana the next morning so I got an unfill on the 17th (Dr. R took out -.3 leaving me with 2.0ccs total). I am still probably a little too tight but I am living with it, learning to follow the bandster rules. A good fill should mean you are losing 1-2lbs per week and I have already lost 2lbs in about 4 days so that's good...