Salad Spritzers

Kittycat

I will be starting my pre-op diet in just under 2 weeks. I can have 4 Optifast shakes and non-starch veggies.

I cannot eat anything with fat and would love to add some flavour to the veggies with a bit of spitzer dressing...do they make one with 0 fat?

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks Cathy

No, but I take balsamic vinegar which is 0 fat, (you can pick up the big cheap bottle at trader joes) bring it to a low boil and condense it down to about half. Then I put it in an olive oil bottle dispenser and drizzle it over my veggies and salads. Very good and good for you, no fat and hardly any calories. (Condensing it down makes it thick and stick to everything and makes the flavor really strong). You don't have to fridge it and its good for a long time) I will also chop up fresh herbs to add to my veggie dishes and salads to give them more flavor.

No, but I take balsamic vinegar which is 0 fat, (you can pick up the big cheap bottle at trader joes) bring it to a low boil and condense it down to about half. Then I put it in an olive oil bottle dispenser and drizzle it over my veggies and salads. Very good and good for you, no fat and hardly any calories. (Condensing it down makes it thick and stick to everything and makes the flavor really strong). You don't have to fridge it and its good for a long time) I will also chop up fresh herbs to add to my veggie dishes and salads to give them more flavor.

Thanks Lisa,

There's no fat in Olive oil?

Can you suggest any other 0 fat foods...my pre-op starts in less than 2 weeks and I am trying to line up some foods I can eat besides the shakes and veggies.

Cathy

There's fat in olive oil, what I condense down is balsamic vinegar (0 fat) and I take an olive oil dispenser and put my balsamic in there. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Typhoon-Elegance-Oil...2752&sr=8-1

When I was on my pre op diet I really stuck to the two slim fast shakes and a lean cuisine. (Dr Ortiz's plan at that time)

I didn’t stray to far from it because I’m the type of person that I can get off track really easily. I tried to stay out of the kitchen and away from anything that came near food or I knew I would break down and I really tried to wrap my head around not eating and focusing on the weight loss.

Hey - WishBone makes very good Salad Spritzers. Here is their website. Although they are not fat-free - they are less than 1g. of fat.

http://www.salad-lover.com/Dressings/1807/...inaigrette.aspx

Then of course there is always fat-free dressings - here is WishBones website for those.

http://www.salad-lover.com/Dressings/1394/...Free-Ranch.aspx

I'm looking at my Wish Bone French, and it has 1 g of fat in 10 spritzes. I don't ever use as much as 10. Five will do me nicely on whatever it is I am eating. I don't think it is enough for you to be worrying about whatsoever.

The idea of the pre op diet is to lose 5% of your body weight. The amount of calories in a salad spritzer is so small that it is not worth thinking about. I guess I'm just saying that you shouldn't be obsessing over the really small stuff. I use cream in my coffee and salad spritzers to my heart's content. It isn't enough to make a difference if you are being conscientious about the big stuff.

I'm looking at my Wish Bone French, and it has 1 g of fat in 10 spritzes. I don't ever use as much as 10. Five will do me nicely on whatever it is I am eating. I don't think it is enough for you to be worrying about whatsoever.

The idea of the pre op diet is to lose 5% of your body weight. The amount of calories in a salad spritzer is so small that it is not worth thinking about. I guess I'm just saying that you shouldn't be obsessing over the really small stuff. I use cream in my coffee and salad spritzers to my heart's content. It isn't enough to make a difference if you are being conscientious about the big stuff.

PS Why wait to start your pre op diet? I started mine as soon as I got my surgery scheduled, 10 weeks ahead. That way I didn't have to do any big deal diet, as I had plenty of time to lose the required weight. It isn't how you lose it, it's the amount you lose. I didn't have to do liquids, I didn't have to do lean cuisines only, I could just eat small regular meals. I lose 19 lb which was enough for me.

PS Why wait to start your pre op diet? I started mine as soon as I got my surgery scheduled, 10 weeks ahead. That way I didn't have to do any big deal diet, as I had plenty of time to lose the required weight. It isn't how you lose it, it's the amount you lose. I didn't have to do liquids, I didn't have to do lean cuisines only, I could just eat small regular meals. I lose 19 lb which was enough for me.

Thanks Snowbird,

I wish my surgeon had said that to me..I lost 10 lbs before I had my first surgical consult to show him I was serious about changing my eating habits...because my starting weight is 275, they still insist on the pre-op diet. I have one week to go before starting the 4 shakes a day plus non-starch veggies...I am hoping to make salads and soup to supplement the shakes, to help me through it.

Take care and you are doing great!

Cathy

Thanks Snowbird,

I wish my surgeon had said that to me..I lost 10 lbs before I had my first surgical consult to show him I was serious about changing my eating habits...because my starting weight is 275, they still insist on the pre-op diet. I have one week to go before starting the 4 shakes a day plus non-starch veggies...I am hoping to make salads and soup to supplement the shakes, to help me through it.

Take care and you are doing great!

Cathy

Hang in there and remember it's for a limited time only. I used to be able to diet for a week or two until I realized I have to eat that way for the rest of my life, then I would get depressed and the diet would go out the window.

Sorry, I was assuming you were an OCC patient when I answered. Every doctor is different regarding pre and post op dieting, among other things. Best wishes for your diet and your surgery, and thanks for your kind words!