I want this surgery!! Any info would be appreciated!!

Ok...I am soooo wanting this lapband surgery!! I have been thinking about it for a couple of years now, but thought I would try medifast before taking the surgery route. Medifast worked, but it was very restrictive, blah blah blah. Anyway, I have received some emails from the clinc, and I am pretty sure the financing will go through...and wow, only $7950 for the procedure???? Are there any other costs that may arise? Why is this surgery sooo expensive here in the US? I would appreciate any input regarding the steps you have to go through , I just really want to light this candle and get it started. **Also, since fills seem to be a nightmare from what I have been reading, especially travelling to fill locations, are there any close to Oklahoma, or is there a website that could give me this information? Please accept my apologies if I have overlooked a specific post that answers all these newbie type questions. I am just nervous/excited/anxious.....

I am from Oklahoma as well. I am going to be banded on June 2 by Dr. Ortiz. I have a friend that was banded in Dallas and paid over 20 G's for the surgery. He goes to Owasso and gets his fills. I asked if the dr. he goes to will do fills on people who have gone to MX for the surgery and he will. It costs 350 for the fills and he does the barium and xray. I still think I will go back to MX for my first fill just so they can check their own work and give me some piece of mind.

The process is very easy. Lori is great and will answer all of your questions. Everyone on here is wonderful about helping ease the nerves too. Ask lots of questions and good luck in your journey!

Heidi

She is right about Lori being a wealth of information.

As for Fills, Fill Centers USA will do fills on those of us with bands from Mexico. They have locations all over. If you pull up the web page for them you can see what ones are closest to you.

Elaine

Great picture! HA HAAA! Yes the price is exactly what you posted. I was just banded on April 30th. Paid a $500 deposit and paid the balance in Cashier's check on the day of surgery. I drove to TJ with my husband so the only other expense associated with the surgery was our gas (and the GasX for my post-op gas HA HA) and whatever we spent on his meals. The price is definitly right. I considered a local Dr here in the Los Angeles Area but after receiving an initial quote of 18K, I took a leap of faith and scheduled my surgery with Dr Ortiz ASAP. Still at the beginning stages but no regrets at all. I don't believe I received any lesser treatment at all my going to MX. As a matter of fact I probably got as good of care if not better. I understand that fills can be a problem if you are unable to return to MX but it seems most people find a way to work this out.

Best wishes

Yeah, Ha HAAA... Collette Reardon is who I feel like after I take a phentermine, drink 3 or 4 diet-pepsi max's, and a few diet dr. peppers, all to control my appetite. I am tired of feeling so wiggity-whacked out!! :blink:

I have been searching Oklahoma docs and surgical weight-loss centers, but the lowest price was for $9,999 - that was for the GASTRIC SLEEVE??? Never heard of it....the price for lapband was $12,999.

The only person I have to go through this process with me is my mother, and she does NOT want to go to TJ, Mexico for that long. I want to go to Mex, because I think it sounds like a fantastic place, the price is right, and plus I am interested in some dental evaluations too...I'm a Swan Makeover wanna-be I guess.

All I can say is "GO!"

I had mine done a week ago, and even though the post-op diet has been hard, both physically and mentally, I am so thrilled.

Tell your mom that you only need 2-3-4 days to get it done. I arrived May 7, a Wednesday afternoon, went directly to the clinic and had some of my tests run. The next day, May 8, I had the surgery. Friday May 9 my step-mom and I went shopping, then Saturday we left for the SD airport.

Let us know what you decide!

Jena

It really isnt long. 3 days! That incredible, actually you could probably do it in 2, fly in do preops and surgery same day, spend the night for evaluation and then and fly out aftwerwards. I met someone who did that while I was there. They were scheduled for the next day, but was able to get in the same day he flew in after pre-ops. And the OCC is great, TJ is fun and interesting. :lb11: