New To The BAND! 22 and excited

So i am going to my first meeting to learn about the Lap Banding.

I have been to an eating disorder clinic last summer and have yo yo dieted since second grade.

i am 22 years old and hope to have this done before i turn 23.

I need some young advice. I am scared that this isn't as good as Gastric Bypass.

I light work out 1 hour a day. 30 minute walk and 30 minute hula hoop :-)

I need some guidance. GOOD and BAD

I just met someone in my office yesterday who had a old version of the new lapband 20 years ago. She failed. She drank her calories and ate chocolate and sugar all day at work. She now is 3 weeks post-op from having a gastric bypass.

You need to make a decision that is right for you - and no one knows you better than yourself.

The lapband is a tool. But you can cheat past the lapband. It's a less invasive surgery, so therefore, considered safer than bypass.

But bypass also can be a successful weight loss procedure. And again, you can cheat past that as well. Didn't Carny Wilson (can't remember her name) have bypass and gain it all back. The surgery itself is much more invasive.

I bought Dr. Ortiz's book on lapband, and found it very helpful, informative, and helped me make the decision to have lapband. But as I refer to the person who came to my office yesterday, it's not successful for everyone.

And if you do choose lapband...I can, along with several others in here, give great recommendations for Dr. Ortiz and the OCC. Good luck with your decision.

Hi Mary,

I am also 22 years old and have yo yo dieted since I was young. I started researching the LapBand last July after meeting someone who was very successful with it. She's lost 112 lbs. I finally did as much research as I could and finally decided on Dr. Ortiz in February. I was banded on May 9th (last Friday!!) and I'm happy with my decision. I've lost about 21 lbs (7 pre-op, the rest post-op) and while this past week has been rough, I'm doing alright and I don't regret anything. I've just been a little run down, gassy, and a little uncomfortable. These first 3 weeks are rough, so be aware of that.

My main reason for choosing this is because I am young. I'm not married and I don't have any kids. I've been lucky enough to avoid any obesity-related diseases like diabetes or high blood pressure and I wanted to do this to PREVENT them. I want to have a happy and full life and now was the best time for me. Make sure it's the best time for you. This is just a tool to help you succeed - it is not a cure. We have to do our part to work with our bands to achieve our goals. I think you'll do just fine. :)

Let me know if you have any questions. I can be reached through here or at apk726@hotmail.com.

Guest sdejong

I just turned 30 and I can't believe I didn't think about doing something like this sooner. My mother actually had the lapband done almost 1 1/2 years ago and she is doing so good she is actually my size (16/18)..... I am so proud of her! My sister and I have struggled with out weight for years and finally after I saw my wedding pics and I stopped crying I decided that I had to do something, and the lapband seems like the best option for me. I hope you can make the best choice for you.

Mary, do your homework and ask all of your questions. There are so many of us on here that you should be able to get a good balance of pros and cons. Ultimately it comes down to you. It is also going to be helpful for you if you have a good support system at home. I know several people are keeping this their secret but you should depend on atleast one person for support other than us of course...lol Read Dr. Ortiz's site and if you can read his book. We are all here for you and are giving you our full support with what ever decision you choose to make. Welcome to the forum, Lora

Hi Mary,

Alana makes a great point. BABIES !! First of all this is reversible, second if you need more nutrition if you do have children you can have an un-fill. Also I have met one person that the LapBand did not accomodate very well and she just had it removed, that is another big difference between Gastric and the Lapband. My family has both. One family memeber fights every day to make sure they work out and watch what they eat, then there is Cassie the floating butterfly...she just picks here and there and let me tell you she is a teen that if you mention the word WORK OUT she is running. LOL... Also the Lapband takes a bit more time with some people but the wait is sooooo worth it. ><'