Have you seen this TV program?

I have just spent the evening waching the neatest TV show ever. I have seen a whole Lap Band surgery and Gastric Bypass inside and out. It is a show that follows really people on their surgery jorney. I have gotten so much information from this program!! Anyone wanting these surgerys shoud watch this show. I have Direct TV and it is on channel 280 TLC.

Great Program...

Janell

I watched it tonight too, it's a good show but I really didn't like those doctors attitudes towards the band... I mean I'm sure they know best but it really seemed like they were pushing gastric bypass over the band. That woman who was 500lbs who came in asking for the band, they kept telling her that it wasn't going to be enough for her, and said that band patients only lose 40% of their weight and that bypass people lose 60%-80% I don't think that is an accurate statistic and they didn't even mention the long term benefits of the band..

That's my only beef with the show but overall it was pretty inspiring to see people's successes with WLS!

I watched it tonight too, it's a good show but I really didn't like those doctors attitudes towards the band... I mean I'm sure they know best but it really seemed like they were pushing gastric bypass over the band. That woman who was 500lbs who came in asking for the band, they kept telling her that it wasn't going to be enough for her, and said that band patients only lose 40% of their weight and that bypass people lose 60%-80% I don't think that is an accurate statistic and they didn't even mention the long term benefits of the band..

That's my only beef with the show but overall it was pretty inspiring to see people's successes with WLS!

I thought the very same thing. But I really thought it was neat to see the Lap Band surgery done on a real person.

Janell :)

I haven't watched the show recently but I've seen it before. They are a father and son and do weight loss surgery together. On one show, his sister [and daughter] calls them cause she's having trouble with her band. [she was lapbanded by another Doc but for some reason isn't or can't go back to him] she had eaten something that got stuck 2 days before and was sicking everything up. Her local ER had poked and poked her trying to remove her fill and couldn't get it. Finally they had her fly out to them and removed her fill with one try. She could immediatley drink water and was fine. They showed pix of her from before her surgery and she had lost alot of weight. Wonder why they seem to push GP surgery?? You'd think they'd want to go the less invasive route?? :unsure:

I totally agree with you Michelle,

We have DishNetwork at home because they have "German channels" and we do have such a show in Germany as well. The other week, they showed a woman who had about 400 lbs and decided to get the band instead the gastric bypass (although they told her she would not be successful with the band due to her size) and she did lose 230 lbs. in a little over a year !!! Now she is maintaining the 170 lbs since 5 years with great success. This lady was just one of many they showed and all have been successful !!!

So bandsters - keep up the great work - we can do it :D

I watched last night's episode, too, and my impression was that they really didn't believe the band was the right choice for her paticular situation. I didn't think they were coming down on the band itself, but on the effects the band would have for her. She had a massive hernia that needed repair very soon and the rate of weight loss with the band for her wouldn't allow that to happen as quickly as having gastric. While the statistic they gave might be skewed, for someone like her, it might be accurate. We all know that people with the band can lose much more than 40% of their extra weight, but everyone gets their stats from different research studies.

All in all, it's an inspirational show. I hope that one they featured with the hernia gets the help she needs. And kudos to all the people on the show that are making the decision to change their lives!