Getting to the clinic

Okay,

we have just scheduled our first fill for August 22nd. Now the big question. How do we get from the airport to the clinic without paying the 130$?

Anybody done this yet? I know, I'm a cheapskate, but my hubby doesn't want to fly back and forth, from Portland, in 1 day so we are already looking at 400$ in airfare, 200$ for a room, and 200$ for the flora, SOOO?

Guest marys

I havent done this yet but last time I was there I went to the information booth on the lower level of the airport by baggage pick up and they gave me a small piece of paper with instructions to take the bus to the trolley and trolley to mexico - the trolley is super nice (a very clean subway) that is CHEAP. You could even take a cab to old town for about 13 dollars and the trolley is right there - then a 5.00 cab ride to the office. I would allow about 2 hours bbut that is probably generous but you may have to change trolleys. We took the trolloey from our hotel to old town to get back to the airport and it was great. Next time I go for a fill we are definitely trying the bus/trolley to the docs office. If you are really nervous email me back (thefacilitator@hotmail.com) and I will dig out the instructions before you go. Good luck.

I havent done this yet but last time I was there I went to the information booth on the lower level of the airport by baggage pick up and they gave me a small piece of paper with instructions to take the bus to the trolley and trolley to mexico - the trolley is super nice (a very clean subway) that is CHEAP. You could even take a cab to old town for about 13 dollars and the trolley is right there - then a 5.00 cab ride to the office. I would allow about 2 hours bbut that is probably generous but you may have to change trolleys. We took the trolloey from our hotel to old town to get back to the airport and it was great. Next time I go for a fill we are definitely trying the bus/trolley to the docs office. If you are really nervous email me back (thefacilitator@hotmail.com) and I will dig out the instructions before you go. Good luck.

I would second this. The trolley to the border is super easy. If you stay in downtown it's $2.50 for a round trip trolley ticket.

Hi

could one of you send me this information as well. It would be information for me to keep handy for patients.

Thanks!

If you go to www.sdcommute.com you can plan trips via city bus or trolley from anywhere in the city down to the border. I've used the website many times and find it very helpful. If you click on "trip planner" you can enter your starting address and then your end location and they will tell you how to get there the fastest / least walking, etc.

I ended up taking the trolley to ComiCon at the convention center over the weekend and it was so nice not to have to worry about parking or traffic. I just parked at my office and bought a round trip ticket for $2.50! Gotta love public transportation.

So, will someone correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't Dr. Ortiz's office pick you up from the airport for a fill, for free? When I flew in, there was one girl with us that was just there for a fill...but she went back on her own. They may not make a special trip for you, but I'd imagine if they are there, you could ride along, surely. And...what is the $130 charge all about?

Karen MT

Hi

Transportation for fills is not included. You can use our driver, and that is $130 round trip. There are other ways to get to the clinic.

Maybe we can start a fill trip coordination topic on the forum... if you can plan to meet up with someone at the airport and combine the ride, it will save you money, no matter how you get there.

I'll do some checking into this topic and try to post something next week.

• 4 weeks later...

As you can see, I've started fill patient coordination topics, so you can try to coordinate with other patients coming in around the same time and split the $130 transportation fee.

Here is a link to marys post about the bus/trolley. She does a great job of explaining everything, so that's another option.Bus/Trolley Info

So, will someone correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't Dr. Ortiz's office pick you up from the airport for a fill, for free? When I flew in, there was one girl with us that was just there for a fill...but she went back on her own. They may not make a special trip for you, but I'd imagine if they are there, you could ride along, surely. And...what is the $130 charge all about?

Karen MT

SURELY FOR A CHARGE?

AFTER THINKING ABOUT IT FOR A BIT, YOU'RE RIGHT. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIDING IN A VAN WITH PEROPLE HAVING SURGERY OR PEOPLE GOING IN FOR A FILL? SAME PLACE, SAME DISTANCE. SURELY PEOPLE BANDED THE PREVIOUS DAY ARE GOING BACK TO THE AIRPORT LIKE WE ALL DID

DOES THAT MEAN IF I'M GOING IN FOR A FILL AND NO ONE ELSE IS WITH ME, I RIDE IN THE VAN WITH THE DRIVER AND MYSELF? (LOL WOO HOO!!! LOL HE DID KEEP ME LAUGHING) WE DON'T WAIT FOR PEOPLE COMING IN FOR SURGERY SINCE "I" PAID FOR THE VAN RIDE?

IF I FLY IN AND NEED A RIDE TO THE CLINIC, THEN TO THE HOTEL FOR A NIGHTS STAY, THEN BACK AGAIN TO THE AIRPORT WITH THE DRIVER THE NEXT DAY, DO I GO BACK TO THE AIRPORT WITH PERSONS THAT WERE JUST BANDED? <_< WAIT FOR THEM?

I COULD SEE IF THE DRIVER NEEDED TO TAKE THE FILL PERSON BACK TO THE AIRPORT AT A LATER TIME THAT AFTERNOON AS THAT WOULD BE AN EXTRA TRIP WITHOUT SURGERY PATIENTS AND THAT A ONE WAY CHARGE WOULD BE IN ORDER :)

I'M SORRY, THIS JUST ISN'T COMPUTING, HELP ME OUT HERE

day 26, no smokes, can ya tell yet?

As I understand it, the van trip is $130 for the group of you. If you go with several other people, you can split the charge between you. Lori can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is built into the charge for the surgery, but not for the fills. That is why a lot of people choose to just take the local transportation down.

That's right, the cost of the transportation is part of the surgery "package" but isn't included in the fills.

For fills for Dr. Ortiz patients the cost is $100 for doing the fill under fluroscopy ($350 for fills for non-patients). The clinic charges $130 for round trip to the clinic from the airport. He can take 5 passengers and the charge is for the trip - so you can split it between other fill patients. I don't schedule the fills, so if you have any specific questions about transportation or to schedule a fill you can speak with Rene at the clinic, he's at ext. 83 at the toll free #.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from my first fill trip and I wanted to thank the people who posted helpful information about transportation. It was really easy, I took the 992 bus from the airport to the trolley station (American-something) and then took the trolley all the way to San Ysidro. I got really lucky and ran into a woman (Pammy from this board) who was also headed to Tijuana for a fill with Dr. Ortiz! We took the trolley and then a cab and it was a cinch. I took the trolley back to San Diego that afternoon and then spent the night at a motel in Hotel Circle. I really didn't feel like carrying my bag the 20 minutes from the motel to the trolley station, especially since it now contained a large bottle of mexican booze, so I called a shuttle service. I got their card from the lobby in the motel, and for $18 he took me from hotel circle (the Super 8 - classy, I know) to the airport. I thought that was a GREAT deal. If you want the name, let me know.

My fill was a good, but briefly painful experience. I am still glad I did it and look forward to hitting my goal weight a.s.a.p.

I just got back from my first fill trip and I wanted to thank the people who posted helpful information about transportation. It was really easy, I took the 992 bus from the airport to the trolley station (American-something) and then took the trolley all the way to San Ysidro. I got really lucky and ran into a woman (Pammy from this board) who was also headed to Tijuana for a fill with Dr. Ortiz! We took the trolley and then a cab and it was a cinch. I took the trolley back to San Diego that afternoon and then spent the night at a motel in Hotel Circle. I really didn't feel like carrying my bag the 20 minutes from the motel to the trolley station, especially since it now contained a large bottle of mexican booze, so I called a shuttle service. I got their card from the lobby in the motel, and for $18 he took me from hotel circle (the Super 8 - classy, I know) to the airport. I thought that was a GREAT deal. If you want the name, let me know.

My fill was a good, but briefly painful experience. I am still glad I did it and look forward to hitting my goal weight a.s.a.p.

RE: since it now contained a large bottle of mexican booze

YOU BAD GIRL YOU LOL

THANKS A MILLION FOR THE COMPANY, WE HAD A GREAT AFTERNOON. I ALSO WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME IN ON YOUR FILL. IT WAS REALLY HELPFUL FOR ME TO WATCH WITHOUT WONDERING ALL NIGHT HOW THIS ALL WORKS WHEN OUR TURN CAME THIS MORNING. (i let sandy go first after seeing your fill lol) SANDY ENDED UP WITH 1.8 AND MYSELF 2.0. ANOTHER GAL WE MET UP WITH LAST NIGHT IN THE BAR GOT 1.6 FOR HER FIRST FILL THIS MORNING.

THANK YOU ALSO TO THE PERSONS POSTING ON THE BUS, TROLLEY, TRANSPORTATION, IT REALLY WASN'T TO HARD TO FIGURE OUT WITH YOUR HELPFUL POSTS. I'M JUST GLAD I MET UP WITH IVANSMOMS TO SHARE IN THE FUN LOL

PS I'D LOVE THE INFORMATION ON THE SHUTTLE SERVICE.

• 3 weeks later...

If you go to www.sdcommute.com you can plan trips via city bus or trolley from anywhere in the city down to the border. I've used the website many times and find it very helpful. If you click on "trip planner" you can enter your starting address and then your end location and they will tell you how to get there the fastest / least walking, etc.

I ended up taking the trolley to ComiCon at the convention center over the weekend and it was so nice not to have to worry about parking or traffic. I just parked at my office and bought a round trip ticket for $2.50! Gotta love public transportation.

Hello

Looks like you know your way around pretty well. Would you mind helping me out? I sent you an email but just in case, sending this as well. I have a fill scheduled for Oct 30th, Mon and will arrive in San Diego at 8:30am and want to take the bus/trolley/taxi and hope to get to the DR's office within 2 hrs or so. What I am most nervous about it getting back to the Airport after the fill, that is, getting over the border. The lines look so long and look like I could be standing there for hours.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Hello

Looks like you know your way around pretty well. Would you mind helping me out? I sent you an email but just in case, sending this as well. I have a fill scheduled for Oct 30th, Mon and will arrive in San Diego at 8:30am and want to take the bus/trolley/taxi and hope to get to the DR's office within 2 hrs or so. What I am most nervous about it getting back to the Airport after the fill, that is, getting over the border. The lines look so long and look like I could be standing there for hours.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

I did the trolley/taxi for my fill but I came from the train station, not the airport. It's really easy. I was a bit nervous since my train was late and I didn't arrive at the border till almost midnight and I was by myself. Looking back, there was nothing to worry about. Getting back across the border took me about 30 minutes (on a Monday morning). There are lots of cabs near the border that will take you across for $5 and apparently they use a special lane and you will be across within 5 minutes. I chose to wait since I had time to waste until my train left.

Hope this helps