Lap-Band Slippage?

I was wondering.....I am seriously considering going to Mexico to have this surgery done, but as far as I can tell, by what I've read, when a person is rebanded, due to slippage which means they have the original band removed and another one inserted, they pay for this expendature with a grin on their face. :mellow: I don't have 10 thousand+ dollars laying around the house for when the possibility of a HUGE problem, such as this one, arises. Maybe I'm just stupid....but isn't that what health insurance in the US would cover..... that and the possibility of an infection? Someone expain it to me like I was a five year old.... cuz, I am really confused. BTW, the reason I am so hell bent on the slippage thing and infection..... I just had a hernia repair (three to be exact), over an old exploratory surgery scar. The drain was left in too long and the mesh became infected. I had to have the incision cut open and the mesh removed (which was infected on both sides of the mesh) and I was left with an open wound! 5 in. long and 3 in. deep. The idiot US doctor, did nothing. Four trips to the ER. I had to drive 3 1/2 hours away to another hospital. There they told me I had Staph. This is why I'm just a little worried. It looks like, either way, it's quite a big roll of the dice. I really do want the surgery. I just want to be sure of the best route. :pardon:

My medical insurance would not cover my lap band surgery. It has an exclusion for weight loss surgery and ANY COMPLICATIONS RELATED THERETO. So, I am aware that should I have any problems as a result of my lap band being placed, I will have to pay the charges.

With regard to your hernia repair, consider getting a copy of your O.R. report and see if you had a Kugel Mesh Patch, get the Lot No and see if it's been recalled. There's a big Kugel Mesh Patch class action out there. Once you have that information, consider contacting one of the attorneys you google "Kugel Mesh Patch class action."

I was wondering.....I am seriously considering going to Mexico to have this surgery done, but as far as I can tell, by what I've read, when a person is rebanded, due to slippage which means they have the original band removed and another one inserted, they pay for this expendature with a grin on their face. :mellow: I don't have 10 thousand+ dollars laying around the house for when the possibility of a HUGE problem, such as this one, arises. Maybe I'm just stupid....but isn't that what health insurance in the US would cover..... that and the possibility of an infection? Someone expain it to me like I was a five year old.... cuz, I am really confused. BTW, the reason I am so hell bent on the slippage thing and infection..... I just had a hernia repair (three to be exact), over an old exploratory surgery scar. The drain was left in too long and the mesh became infected. I had to have the incision cut open and the mesh removed (which was infected on both sides of the mesh) and I was left with an open wound! 5 in. long and 3 in. deep. The idiot US doctor, did nothing. Four trips to the ER. I had to drive 3 1/2 hours away to another hospital. There they told me I had Staph. This is why I'm just a little worried. It looks like, either way, it's quite a big roll of the dice. I really do want the surgery. I just want to be sure of the best route. :pardon:

I'm a little confused about your original question. Most people who go to Mexico for surgery are those whose insurance will not cover it in the US. Generally, insurance will cover emergency complications even if the original surgery isn't covered, but slippage isn't usually considered an emergency.

My insurance actually does cover lap band surgery, but I went to OCC anyway because I was so impressed with how they treated my daughter and because I live close enough to Tijuana to return for fills etc without too much hassle. My insurance also covered my surgery at OCC.

If you are concerned about the costs of rebanding, leaks, or port flips, I would call OCC and see what their policy is. I haven't had to worry about any of those things yet, so I don't know if they give a price break to their own patients or not.

QUOTE:"I'm a little confused about your original question. Most people who go to Mexico for surgery are those whose insurance will not cover it in the US. Generally, insurance will cover emergency complications even if the original surgery isn't covered, but slippage isn't usually considered an emergency."

I live in AZ and I have insurance through my husband's job (hospital) they do cover lap-band surgery but only for the employee.... not the spouse, even though my husband pays a premium for me. I also have Medicare parts A & B....I've been disabled since I was 19, hence, the Medicare. Medicare will cover it if it's done in the states, but I have had doctors in the states screw up so bad that I needed to have my wound heal from the inside, out. My 'original' question is who pays for the band to be reinserted after a slip.....and I believe you covered that, thank you :D I think that I'd be willing to go to Mexico, just to see what the doctors there could do for me. I'm not a special case.....I just want to know that whoever it is that is going into my stomach, can be reliable. I'm not ready for another case of Staph. The rehab, which I am still going through, is hell. Thank you for any help or referrals to Mexican doctors. I would really like to find out more on a Dr. Ortiz. Thank you. :girl_witch:

Sorry to hear that you have had trouble with medical issues.

My suggestion would be to wait until you have recovered from your hernia surgery, read up on lapband and decide what's best for you.

I live in Ontario, Canada and there is no coverage whatsoever for lapband, and the cost is 15K. The only reason I am not going to OCC to have the surgery done is because my husband would not allow me have it outside of the country.

Best of luck with your decision!

Cathy

OCC is the facility that hosts this site: Obesity Control Center. Click on the LOGO and explore the Center. Learn about the surgeons and staff.

What is OCC?

I do not know what they, (the mexican doctors) charge for band slippage, but...........I DO know that if your port flips, they will fix it for free. My flipped, which I found out at my first fill in the US. The US wanted 3000 dollars to fix it and DR. Martinez did it for free. They are all really good doctors there and it is a very clean spot. They really care about their patients and are concerned about germs. They will not allow anybody to walk on the floors in the surgical area or patient rooms in their street shoes. I think they are very careful, however sometimes infection can happen. It is always a risk when you have any type of surgery. I agree you should heal completely before considering any other surgery, so your body does not have to concentrate on more than one area. Plus, the way the mexican doctors are, they probably would not want to take any chances until you are completely healed. I wish you the best in the healing process, I hope all heals well. Good luck with your decision if you wish to proceed with the surgery, but know,.............the mexican doctors are AWESOME!!!

Thank you all very much. I was told that healing would take up to 2 years for the sort and size of open wound that I have. I still have pain where the fluid collections were building on the mesh. Tonight, as a matter of fact, it was hurting pretty bad. I know that it is still healing.... and that is a good thing. You are right, I don't want to aggrevate these certain spots....... they have been through a lifetime of infection.... I don't want to even present the possibility of infection. Thanks to everyone, once again. I think that you have helped me to make up my mind to have the surgery done in Mexico.... especially seeing as how I live in the White Mountains of AZ and it would be just as easy to drive across the border as to the Valley (Phoenix).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thank you all very much. I was told that healing would take up to 2 years for the sort and size of open wound that I have. I still have pain where the fluid collections were building on the mesh. Tonight, as a matter of fact, it was hurting pretty bad. I know that it is still healing.... and that is a good thing. You are right, I don't want to aggrevate these certain spots....... they have been through a lifetime of infection.... I don't want to even present the possibility of infection. Thanks to everyone, once again. I think that you have helped me to make up my mind to have the surgery done in Mexico.... especially seeing as how I live in the White Mountains of AZ and it would be just as easy to drive across the border as to the Valley (Phoenix).

I live in NC and work for the State with great insurance which covers lap band if you meet certain criteria. Otherwise, the charge at Duke was $25K! I did my research and found Dr. Ortiz not only competent, but a LEADER in the Lap Band surgery! I opted for surgery in Tijuana, with Dr. Martinez (partner of Ortiz). FOR THE RECORD, they currently, as of July 4, 2008 have a ZERO, yes, "0" infection rate at the OCC (Obesity Control Center). Not only are they clean and professional, but they are ALL very "easy on the eyes!" :wub:

I persoanlly looked to the OCC for my band b/c as a state employee of Arkansas, no bariatric surgery at all is covered. However, while I was there, I visitied with a medical doctor from southern California who was there for a fill and had had his surgery there a year or so ago. I asked him why he came to Dr. Ortiz if he himself was a physician in CA and he told me that he wanted to go to the best...so he came to the OCC. Dr. Ortiz has been the trainer for many US surgeons, so why go to the trainee when you can go to the trainer - for cheaper!!

Hi, of course I have no idea what would happen to you, but I went to Mexicali, Dr Aceves. My surgery took 43min and I never hurt one min. Every person in our team, was wonderful. Kind and helpful. My brother and I had our procedure on the same day. I have only good things about my experience. I didn't have the money to do the procedure in the states. Hope you can find your good place. Do great, Loretta :-h