I'M OFFICIALLY A BANDSTER

HEY ALL! I am just reporting to you all directly from OCC - I AM A BANDSTER!! =D> WOOOHOOOO!! If I could do a dance I would. I am going to write so much more probably later on, but what I can tell all of you is that this place is BEYOND anything that you can ever imagine. It is gorgeous, immaculate, state of the art, the Dr.'s and nurses and all other staff treat you like you are royalty. EVERYONE is so helpful and caring - I can honestly say I have never received care like this in the states. I am so so so happy I came here to Dr. Ortiz.

Dr. Ortiz came into my room and sat on my couch, and talked to me for about 45 minutes. It was such a pleasant relaxing conversadion, he is just an amazingly down to earth funny man. Really just are no words to do him justice. :D Anyhow, feeling much pain need drugs. hhahaha. I will talk to you all very sooon and give the FULL story play by play!! Cheers!

Congrats! I hope you have a speedy recovery. ><'

Bandland.gif

Woooooohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's excellent... congratulations Carrie. Can't wait to hear more. Good Luck on a speedy recovery! Anita

Hey all! Thanks for such encouraging comments and responses! ><' Well, here is the play-by-play of my trip to TJ/Dr. Ortiz.

My flight left at 6:30 am from Philly airport. Left right on time, all went fine with that. I flew into Minnesota, and my flight from there in to San Diego was an hour late because of high winds! :wacko: Gosh! So, anyhow, I was anticipating that the driver probably wouldn't be at the airport, but he was! Fransisco was there waiting for me and I was so happy to see him! So, we get my stuff into the van, and then went to the commuter portion of the airport to pick up Miriam (banded 1.5 yrs ago) and her fiancee (who was there to be banded). They are so nice! Fransisco took us all to the Lucerna to check in, and told us that our pre-op stuff would all be done the day of surgery.

Once at the hotel - no problems. The rooms were very nice - not what I would consider '5 star', but they were accomodating especially since it was only a 3 night stay. The beds were comfortable, and the room I was in was newly renovated. After checking in and getting settled, Miriam, her fiancee and I went out on the town for dinner. We went to La Cantina (the one everyone talks about) and then went shopping! Now, this shopping was QUITE a debacle. I mean, its crazy! People just hounding you everywhere you turn - I didn't like that much, but I did have the chance to purchase some pretty bracelets, necklaces, a cheap pair of sunglasses, and a pair of shoes. That was definitely an experience I will forever remember. Oh, lets not forget all the colorful dressed up cows/bulls. Plus I got to put my spanish to use a bit B) HAHAHA.

SO... after much walking/exercise, we went back to the hotel to relax by the pool. This was nice, although the water was slightly cold. I got in for about 5-10 mins then got out! :) I am a whimp. Miriam's fiancee pushed her in. NOT FUNNY, man! haha. Okay, so... off to bed I go. Slept like a LOG! :D

Woke up bright & early at 6:30 am to get ready and be in the lobby at 7:30 am for the driver. As soon as I got down there, they were waiting for me I didn't have to wait even a minute! The driver took my stuff, put it in the van, and off we went! The clinic is IMMACULATE! I was honestly shocked when I walked in because it felt like I was taking the internet tour LOL! It was so clean, so state of the art, and honestly I didn't expect it to look IDENTICAL to what it did online! Once Claudia the receptionist arrived, everyone got their photos taken and filled out some paperwork. I waited in the lobby for maybe 15-20 minutes before I was called back to talk to Dr. Miranda. She is SO nice, funny, talkative, and makes you feel relaxed. We had a great discussion about global warming and how scary it is what its doing to our planet! She went over everything with me in great detail, and I went back out into the lobby. I waited maybe 15 more minutes, then was called back to see Dr. Jiminez. He was also very nice/pleasant. He took a brief medical hx and did my EEG - all was good. Went back into the lobby, then waited to be taken to my suite. In about 20 minutes, one of the nurses came out and then took me back to my suite - again, gorgeous! It had a relaxing table fountain, a flat screem HDTV with Direct TV, the bed had beautiful linens on it. I was just in utter amazement at the care that is taken of this facility. I got a nice suprise when Dr. Ortiz came into my room to talk to me! He is sooo so so nice/funny :lol: He's a hunk, too! DAMN! #-o hehehe. He sat on the couch in my room and we talked for about 40-45 minutes! He saw that I got upset a little when talking about my weight, and he came over to my bedside and held my hand and just said that everything will be okay. I was so touched by his kindness.

I was 4th surgery of the day, and the time just flew. Before I knew it I was done and back in my room resting. I was so out of it! The anesthesiologist said that I was crying a bit when I came out of anesthesia, and he sat in my room with me to make sure I was okay - how sweet! Seriously, I would never expect to receive care like that in the states. It was just so touching... these Dr.'s care so much about their patients. The nurses took great care of me - making sure I had NO pain or discomfort. They even let me sleep later the next morning because I was up throughout the night a lot with some pain. I went back to the room at about 8:30 - 9:00 am on saturday morning. I rested the majority of the day. I went to the hotel restaurant for some soup broth.

Crossing back over to the states was a breeze - especially at 4:30 am! :D We drove to the border, walked through this building, they asked what we were bringing back from Mexico, and then were supposed to run our luggage through x-ray but didn't :-? haha I don't know. It was fine with me though cause it made things much faster! Flights back were quite uncomfortable... meh.

Okay, I think that about sums it up. :P and I'm SPENT!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I am still waiting to be banded and I LOVE the play by plays that everyone post on the website. I become more comfortable with OCC and my decision to have the surgery everytime I read these!

Thanks for sharing your experience so well. I was a cry-baby too and the anesthesiologist sat and held me for about 20 minutes while I calmed down from my panic attack. He was just passing my room while they were having a difficult time with my IV! He is such a nice man and doesn't get so much credit because we usually sleep through his end of things. I would have NEVER gotten that sort of treatment from anyone in the US. I probably would have gotten a smack down from the nurses here!

Dontondan - aw thats so sweet! haha. Yeah he (the anesthesiologist) was such a nice guy! I felt like I was in such good hands whils I was there. I had absolutely no questions in my mind that I would get the best care - especially after meeting everyone, and then with my experience with the anesthesiologist. I mean, he absolutely didn't have to sit there with me and make sure I was okay but he did... and its so true that Dr.'s in the states would NOT do that. Thats so great.

Erin - I am glad that by sharing my experience it is helping you to feel more comfortable with your decision to go to OCC and have your surgery with Dr. Ortiz. I PROMISE you will not regret it. You will be so happy that you made the decision to have your surgery at OCC because they provide top notch care like none other. :D

Hi Carrie...

My husband and I were the ones in the van with you on the way back to the airport. I'm glad you made it home safely. I know you had a lot of flying to do and that couldn't have been comfortable.

I think you were heading back to work on Monday, too. I hope that is going well for you as well.

I wish you a speedy surgery recovering and a smooth post-op diet.

~Tanya

Tanya! Hi! I am glad to see that you and your husband also had a safe trip back home! Yeah it was such a long day of flying for me - and definitely uncomfortable the majority of the time. I am just glad to be home. I am still having a lot of pressure/gas/air in my abdomen. Are you experiencing that also? Like a full feeling to the point of being uncomfortable?