Ok, so now what?

My lovely first meal of fish and veggies that I could barely eat wound up just being a before dinner snack! Yup, thats right, I have no restriction whatsoever. And I have even eaten gooey bread!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

This is frustrating. Yes yes, I know it's only a tool, but if the tool isn't working then it isn't helping.

This is expensive! Do I fly back already? I mean, it's tough to have this and not lose anything.

I am very discouraged. I know several of us are and I just wish it wasn't so expensive to go back and forth. I wish I was closer.

Oh, that must be frustrating. :lb12:

Have you thought about going to one of the Fill Center USA places? I looked up and saw they have 2 in New Jersey... it'd be a drive, but not a flight to Mexico. :) There's one of those centers about 2 hours from where I am and I think it'd be worth going, once I get the band, haha. They told me about a yearly plan and that if an adjustment is needed within a week or two it's at a reduced rate. Maybe something to look into?

:lb4:

Remind us again, when were you banded? When was your first fill? Maybe we can put our minds together to help you out. Don't get too discouraged yet. We are all here for you. When one of us is down, we are all down. So hang in there and lets try to put 2 & 2 together.

~dianna~

My lovely first meal of fish and veggies that I could barely eat wound up just being a before dinner snack! Yup, thats right, I have no restriction whatsoever. And I have even eaten gooey bread!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

This is frustrating. Yes yes, I know it's only a tool, but if the tool isn't working then it isn't helping.

This is expensive! Do I fly back already? I mean, it's tough to have this and not lose anything.

I am very discouraged. I know several of us are and I just wish it wasn't so expensive to go back and forth. I wish I was closer.

When did you get your fill Mona? Was it your first? I got my first fill on Thurs. 29th and I ate breakfast this morning and had 2 small to med sized pancakes, 2 eggs and 1 and 1\2 pieces of toast! I was full, but didn't feel uncomfortable or stuffed. I'm hoping that it'll take some time, but finally kick in. I can't afford to fly back to Mexico again any time soon, so I'm screwed if this fill doesn't tighten up. Did you line up any fill Doc's around Pa. area? Let me know if you found one. :)

I'm with ya!! :lb12:

Mona-Camille and Iwantbanded, give your fills some time before you buy your next plane ticket. If you think back to Mama Michelle's first post on her first fill she did not have an restriction either. But around 4-5 days post fill it kicked in. Although she did have to have another fill after about a month, your fill may kick in and you may not need another for a while! Keep your chin up!

hang.gif

Hey all, it's me again..... just wanted to let Mona know that I may have spoken too soon!! I just had a lebonon bologna sandwich and boy did I feel my restriction!! After the first 2 bites I could feel my gut tighten up into my chest and my mouth started watering!! :unsure: I thought I was gonna sick everything back up but I waited a minute and it passed. I took smaller bites and chewed better but got the same feeling. Fingers crossed, I think my fill's kicking in! =D>

I had surgery March 24th and my fill on May 26th. It's a week today. Can it really take that long to kick in?

No I didn't line up a doctor here yet only because with fill centers usa, your first visit costs almost the same a going back to Mexico. And I DO have to fly back once more because I promised my neice I would take her. I'm just thinking that I should be going back now or at least planning. The further out you buy tickets, the cheaper they are and I already have off work for the 4th of July week.

Dr. Romero told me he expected to see me back within a month or 2. I do know all the rules and having to wait and getting your stomach used to the band and the fill, it is just that it is frustrating is all.

I was so excited about getting my fill and want it to work NOW!!!

Yes, I am an impatient patient. And fully jealous of my sisters weight loss (she had lap band on January 4th).

Plus, I like to complain.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Hey Mona ><' keep your chin up !!!

I can imagine that this is frustrating, but hang in there, please ;)

Here is a part of Anita's post, which I believe is exactly what we all need to remember:

SLOW and GRADUAL is the key!

It usually takes 3 to 5 fills to slowly and safely creep up on a good level, and they can be safely given a month apart. Trying to go faster with a bigger fill is not the solution, and the stomach rebels at big sudden fills. The goal of the first few fills is NOT to achieve a good restriction, but to gradually get your stomach used to some pressure so you can tolerate a GOOD fill later. Going slowly with fills can be frustrating but is well worth the wait to avoid problems.

I'm very, very unpatient myself and I would like to have lost all the weight already ( 5 weeks post op :rolleyes: ), but we did not gain the weight overnight as well, right?

:lb4: because :lb13:

Hey all, it's me again..... just wanted to let Mona know that I may have spoken too soon!! I just had a lebonon bologna sandwich and boy did I feel my restriction!! After the first 2 bites I could feel my gut tighten up into my chest and my mouth started watering!! :unsure: I thought I was gonna sick everything back up but I waited a minute and it passed. I took smaller bites and chewed better but got the same feeling. Fingers crossed, I think my fill's kicking in! =D>

Well it's a good thing you had the nice big breakfast after your fill, I can't imagine you being able to have all that again! LOL!!!

All the best, Cathy

First fill did nothing for me. I was able to eat any and everything. Went back for a 2nd fill on Saturday and now have restriction. Yay!! I waited 3 weeks before getting my second fill to see if the first would kick in but it didn't.

Mona,

Driving to NYU is a breeze and only costs my copay for a fill. Getting to the sweet spot could take a while or happen quickly I'm just glad to be so close to a place for adjustments.

Hi jetdeck,

i finally got my appt w/dr. ren...although i do only have to pay my copay for the fills they told me i have to pay for a nutritionist... did u?

have u gone back for a 2nd fill?

my appt isnt til july 2nd..

Scared,

I don't see the nutritionist, I was never told it was a requirement. However on the first visit you will get an esophogram (sp?). I did go for my second fill and am tight but doing well.

SJ

Hi Scared and Jetdeck - I'm in nyc and planning to go to Dr. Ren after my surgery (coming up 6/24!).

I'm curious about a few things about your experience with her:

- When I called the office I was told they would need 2 things - an operative report and esophagram - did you both receive both of those at the OCC before leaving?

- You both mentioned paying copays for your fills - did your insurance cover your surgery too? Mine did not, so it never occurred to me that they would pay for fills, but I have to ask since you both mentioned it

- Anything else I should know about going through Dr. Ren? Did you have good experiences?

Thanks!!

Susan

Hi Scared and Jetdeck - I'm in nyc and planning to go to Dr. Ren after my surgery (coming up 6/24!).

I'm curious about a few things about your experience with her:

- When I called the office I was told they would need 2 things - an operative report and esophagram - did you both receive both of those at the OCC before leaving?

- You both mentioned paying copays for your fills - did your insurance cover your surgery too? Mine did not, so it never occurred to me that they would pay for fills, but I have to ask since you both mentioned it

- Anything else I should know about going through Dr. Ren? Did you have good experiences?

Thanks!!

Susan

Hi Susan,

Well I have not had my fill yet because actually it takes some time for an appt. Her earliest open dates for new patients are at 4wks waiting time. so my suggestion is that u make an appt for fill upon your first week on solids so that you will be on your 6th to 8th week at the time of your first fill. I will actually be at week 11 and not to happy about that but I didnt know I was going to have to wait that long.

As far as the insurance, I have nj bc/bs and she is participates with them so she actually charges them as an office visit and not as a fill per say so I'm assuming that is why it is covered. she Informed me of that, because I was also figuring they would not pay but she told me I would only have to pay my copay ><' ><' ,which needless to say I was quite happy.

I was also told I needed the operative reports and an esophogram by Dr. Ren... I did not request the report at the time i left OCC but they faxed it to me.. I would suggest however that you ask for them when u leave this way u have them handy... they will give u everything right away if u ask...

no to the big question... did my insurance cover the surgery...well...i have read others taking there chances and submitting there bill to the insurance company and after some persistence and mailing all operative reports it was paid...at least some portion...

So I figured I will give it a chance too.....

I havent heard from them yet... honestly I dont expect them to pay for it.. but if they give me back anything.. I will be happy.

My suggestion is that you ask the doctors at OCC for a letter of medical necessity for the surgery as it may help. When I was there they told me they would do that for me but at the time i wasnt even thinking, or planning on ever submitting it to my insurance just figuring they would not pay anyway...but if u can remember to ask them for it i would suggest u do it.

good luck

Hi Scared,

Thanks so much for all the useful info and suggestions!! :)

It never occurred to me to try submitting the surgery claim to insurance, but I'll give it a whirl - what the heck! Great tip on getting a letter of necessity!

About the copays - I guess I should look up on my plan and see if she participates - that would just be awesome to be able to just pay copays.

Sorry to hear you had to wait so long - I'll def keep that in mind. I've read on lapbandtalk that she's great - really caring and wants to make sure you get exactly the right fill amount, so hopefully she'll be well worth the wait.

Thanks again!

Susan

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Hi, Mona,

I had an interesting and informative fillon Tuesday in TJ. First of all, I love Dr. Marco. He explained things more clearly than any of the other doctors. I will ask for him when I go back in 7 weeks.

I had a 1.1 fill the first time, and like you, I had no restriction and was deeply disappointed. When I went in for my 2nd fill, Dr. Acosta did the fill, and I only increased to 1.5. I was very concerned to the point of anxiety.. He had me eat to test the band... nothing... ate supper... nothing... took my pills, unbroken, nothing.

I went back yesterday, and Dr. MARCO saw me, tested my fill, and and left me at 1.5. He showed me on the screen that when he did more, the esophogas ballooned over the sides of the band, expanding my little stomach pouch. He said that if he left it like that, the ballooning would never go away, and I would continue to want more food than I should have with the band. He said they leave it at a level where the pouch doesnt balloon over the band, and leave it like that for 6-8 weeks while the esophogas shrinks down to normal. He said I have to do my part by following the rules EXACTLY with no deviation that would stretch the esophogas. He also said that coughing could be part of the problem, and if my sinuses were causing me to cough in the morning, to take some cough syrup.

I had tears rolling down my face from disappointment, but a feeling of relief that I now knew and understood. He was so reassuring and promised me that it would work if I followed the rules. He told me to come back in 6-8 weeks and Ask for him in person and he would make sure I was progressing.

I have to go, the van is here to take me to the airport, but I am much reassured and reconciled to my fill.

I hope this helps..

Paula

Hi, Mona,

I had an interesting and informative fillon Tuesday in TJ. First of all, I love Dr. Marco. He explained things more clearly than any of the other doctors. I will ask for him when I go back in 7 weeks.

I had a 1.1 fill the first time, and like you, I had no restriction and was deeply disappointed. When I went in for my 2nd fill, Dr. Acosta did the fill, and I only increased to 1.5. I was very concerned to the point of anxiety.. He had me eat to test the band... nothing... ate supper... nothing... took my pills, unbroken, nothing.

I went back yesterday, and Dr. Acosta saw me, tested my fill, and and left me at 1.5. He showed me on the screen that when he did more, the esophogas ballooned over the sides of the band, expanding my little stomach pouch. He said that if he left it like that, the ballooning would never go away, and I would continue to want more food than I should have with the band. He said they leave it at a level where the pouch doesnt balloon over the band, and leave it like that for 6-8 weeks while the esophogas shrinks down to normal. He said I have to do my part by following the rules EXACTLY with no deviation that would stretch the esophogas. He also said that coughing could be part of the problem, and if my sinuses were causing me to cough in the morning, to take some cough syrup.

I had tears rolling down my face from disappointment, but a feeling of relief that I now knew and understood. He was so reassuring and promised me that it would work if I followed the rules. He told me to come back in 6-8 weeks and Ask for him in person and he would make sure I was progressing.

I have to go, the van is here to take me to the airport, but I am much reassured and reconciled to my fill.

I hope this helps..

Paula

Hmmmm that is interesting. Very glad he gave you some reassurance. Sure makes you wonder how these US doctors can do it without fluro though.

Now, I am wondering if I am going back too soon? I am scheduled for the 27th, exactly 4 weeks from my first fill. I had hoped it would be my last trip out there. I can't cancel it now since I already have tickets. Makes me nervous about all that vomitting I did after surgery. But Dr. Romero didn't mention anything about a stretch when I was there last month so maybe it is fine.

Well, my friend is going somewhere around 8/21 so maybe I will end up going with her after all. I just wish it was closer and cheaper.

Did he reiterate what the exact rules were? I know about eating the protein first, and not overeating, and no carbonation, but is there more?

Although I can see how hugely disappointing this, it really is better to do it the right way.

Sure hope you are having a safe trip home!!!!

Hmmmm that is interesting. Very glad he gave you some reassurance. Sure makes you wonder how these US doctors can do it without fluro though.

Now, I am wondering if I am going back too soon? I am scheduled for the 27th, exactly 4 weeks from my first fill. I had hoped it would be my last trip out there. I can't cancel it now since I already have tickets. Makes me nervous about all that vomitting I did after surgery. But Dr. Romero didn't mention anything about a stretch when I was there last month so maybe it is fine.

Well, my friend is going somewhere around 8/21 so maybe I will end up going with her after all. I just wish it was closer and cheaper.

Did he reiterate what the exact rules were? I know about eating the protein first, and not overeating, and no carbonation, but is there more?

Although I can see how hugely disappointing this, it really is better to do it the right way.

And look on the bright side! It just gives us more to bi*** about on the boards and rile people up!! HAHAHAHA just kidding! Sure hope you are having a safe trip home!!!!

He said that a stretched esophogas cannot be observed without flouro, and that if I had gotten a "blind fill" that my pouch would be so stretched by the time they caught it that I would be eating as much as I had been before.

The same rules that Dr. Miranda gave in her packet.. the same ones on the magnet you were given at your first fill.. I can't remember them right now.. still brain fogged from flying yesterday.. wait.. here is the posting.. http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?show...53&hl=rules

Dr. Marco firmly told me to chew each bite 25 times, and to break most of my larger pills in two before taking them.

<shakes my finger at you, laughing,> It is better to be a peace maker, girlfriend... Hugs..