Loss of Restriction or Just Eating the Wrong Foods!

Yesterday was a really bad day for me. I started craving salt so I went to the store and bought a small bag of chips and a bag of oatmeal cookies for my kids (yeah right, I knew exactly what I was doing).

So I ate the whole bag of chips (mini bag but still) and I was still hungry! So I opened the cookies. They were small oatmeal cookies - the size of gingersnaps - and I probably ate at least 12 (delete and insert 15?) of them. No restriction - I probably could have continued to eat. For dinner I had one chicken strip, mashed potatoes and green beans. Still, no restriction.

There I sat convinced that I no longer have restriction and griping about having to pay for another fill.

Fast forward to today lunch time. I had two small pieces of chicken (about 2 ounces, if that); 5 baby carrots and 5 sugar snap peas, and two strawberries. I am S T U F F E D!!!!!!!

Either it's the type of food I'm eating or the band is fickle!!!

So, when they say eat SOLIDS only, potato chips, mashed potatoes and cookies are not part of that group :P

I'd like to get another month or two out of this fill!

keep in mind that your tightness with fluctuate (as per my fill doc) ... i feel like same way sometimes. At least you realize that chips and cookies are good choices...but its ok sometimes. I try and let myself have something sweet as long as its small- that way i dont feel deprived and then go eat a whole chocolate cake in my closet! hahahah

(Its both) OK, you've learned why many with the band can't loose weight. Many foods that are bad for you can slide through the band with no problem. (Unless I'm pretty tight)

That's why we eat protein first - why I always have protein cooked, cubed and organized in my fridge (along with veggies and fruits) - it fights off the need to eat the bad for you stuff that many times will have no restriction at all.

I've said this before, I know many people that can't loose weight with the band and most likely will never will - if they continue to cheat it by eating fatning bad for you foods that will slip through. Get that stuff out of your house if at all possible!

Get back on track, if needed I would go back and get another fill as soon as possible and focus on eating heavy protein first to fill up and follow the program. But if you eat the right way and are full - just eat the right way.

Its hard, you have to break your bad habits and its doesn't happen overnight.

Good luck and go kick those cookies butte's and eat some tuna!

I have always been under the impression that even with the band, I would still continue to diet until I've lost as much weight as I'm going to. Isn't that why it's called a "tool" and not a "miracle weight loss" band?

I'm not talking about you Lisal, ><' but of others I see here who talk about the big meals they can eat and all the bread, etc.

I just don't get it. Why are people still eating the same meals they ate before?

Dr. Ortiz told me before I was banded that some people "test" the band to see how much they can eat and that these are the people who have the least success.

Did any of you hear the same thing?

Jena

I have always been under the impression that even with the band, I would still continue to diet until I've lost as much weight as I'm going to. Isn't that why it's called a "tool" and not a "miracle weight loss" band?

I'm not talking about you Lisal, ><' but of others I see here who talk about the big meals they can eat and all the bread, etc.

I just don't get it. Why are people still eating the same meals they ate before?

Dr. Ortiz told me before I was banded that some people "test" the band to see how much they can eat and that these are the people who have the least success.

Jena

Absolutely, I was floored by the amount of food consumed at breakfast by another bandster, I couldn't eat that now!!

It has been said over and over, the band is a tool to assist in a life style change. Has Lisa confirmed, you cannot eat whatever you want and go back to the old ways of eating fatty foods and cookies and expect to lose weight, band or no band. If you eat right, you will lose weight, band or no band.

I have not been banded yet and I am struggling to keep on track during this pre-op diet phase...but I am doing it and be damned if I am going to go through all of this, be banded only to go back to my old eating habits and have it all fail.

I have heard many comments over the past two months about no restriction and not losing, or even gaining. I guess some people think that the band means you don't have to diet anymore?

The feedback on this forum is immeasurable, but there is also alot of struggling and negativity that in my opinion is self-induced.

Cathy

(Its both) OK, you've learned why many with the band can't loose weight. Many foods that are bad for you can slide through the band with no problem. (Unless I'm pretty tight)

That's why we eat protein first - why I always have protein cooked, cubed and organized in my fridge (along with veggies and fruits) - it fights off the need to eat the bad for you stuff that many times will have no restriction at all.

I've said this before, I know many people that can't loose weight with the band and most likely will never will - if they continue to cheat it by eating fatning bad for you foods that will slip through. Get that stuff out of your house if at all possible!

Get back on track, if needed I would go back and get another fill as soon as possible and focus on eating heavy protein first to fill up and follow the program. But if you eat the right way and are full - just eat the right way.

Its hard, you have to break your bad habits and its doesn't happen overnight.

Good luck and go kick those cookies butte's and eat some tuna!

Lisa I just had my lap band done 5/7/08 and just posted a new topic today but no one has responded. I am having the same problems. I am stuck at 10 pounds, but watching what I am eating and I also feel the restriction. Question, you like a completely different person in your "After" picture. What are your stats? Band date w/weight and now?

Jena

Some people are eating the same as before because their tool isn't working. I just had my first fill and it hasn't changed a thing. So my tool isn't working yet.

Absolutely, I was floored by the amount of food consumed at breakfast by another bandster, I couldn't eat that now!!

It has been said over and over, the band is a tool to assist in a life style change. Has Lisa confirmed, you cannot eat whatever you want and go back to the old ways of eating fatty foods and cookies and expect to lose weight, band or no band. If you eat right, you will lose weight, band or no band.

I have not been banded yet and I am struggling to keep on track during this pre-op diet phase...but I am doing it and be damned if I am going to go through all of this, be banded only to go back to my old eating habits and have it all fail.

I have heard many comments over the past two months about no restriction and not losing, or even gaining. I guess some people think that the band means you don't have to diet anymore?

The feedback on this forum is immeasurable, but there is also alot of struggling and negativity that in my opinion is self-induced.

Cathy

I got the band to help me and I am aware it is a tool, however, if that tool isn't working then there is no change from before I got it. I got it to help not eat so much but since I have no restriction it isn't like I have a band at all. Therefore, changing my diet or not, I am still eating too much. That is why I chose the band. I wouldn't have gotten the band if I was strong enough to stop overeating on my own. I think that is why the majority of us did get it. So yes, it is self induced struggeling, but that is why they invented the band, however, that band needs to work to be able to help in our struggles. I don't think anyone on here deliberately eats around the band. If they did, they would continue to eat even when they PB. But, I don't even PB.

I take exception to you saying that some people think the band means no more dieting. I don't think anyone believes that but as I have said before, this tool needs to be working to be effective and help with our weight loss goals. Why would anyone bother getting it done if they didn't expect it to help? And so far, mine is not. I need that second fill and hopefully I will have restriction when I get it and will not gain anymore weight.

You also said that if you eat right, you will lose weight band or no band. Well then, why are YOU getting the band instead of eating right?

You see, we all need help or we wouldn't be here. But your comments are kind of making me feel like I should just shut my mouth and forget about posting anything at all, lest I spew my negativity about my self-induced problems.

But your comments are kind of making me feel like I should just shut my mouth and forget about posting anything at all, lest I spew my negativity about my self-induced problems.

I like to read your posts, keep them up! Then I'll know what to do after I have the band and have the same self-induced problems. ;)

I got the band to help me and I am aware it is a tool, however, if that tool isn't working then there is no change from before I got it. I got it to help not eat so much but since I have no restriction it isn't like I have a band at all. Therefore, changing my diet or not, I am still eating too much. That is why I chose the band. I wouldn't have gotten the band if I was strong enough to stop overeating on my own. I think that is why the majority of us did get it. So yes, it is self induced struggeling, but that is why they invented the band, however, that band needs to work to be able to help in our struggles. I don't think anyone on here deliberately eats around the band. If they did, they would continue to eat even when they PB. But, I don't even PB.

I take exception to you saying that some people think the band means no more dieting. I don't think anyone believes that but as I have said before, this tool needs to be working to be effective and help with our weight loss goals. Why would anyone bother getting it done if they didn't expect it to help? And so far, mine is not. I need that second fill and hopefully I will have restriction when I get it and will not gain anymore weight.

You also said that if you eat right, you will lose weight band or no band. Well then, why are YOU getting the band instead of eating right?

You see, we all need help or we wouldn't be here. But your comments are kind of making me feel like I should just shut my mouth and forget about posting anything at all, lest I spew my negativity about my self-induced problems.

Mona-Camille,

I did not mean any disrespect at all....I have been seeing alot of postings lately, where there is over eating because the restriction is not there yet and they still wonder why there is no weight loss. I do understand that, because I am on my pre-op diet right now and I am feeling hungry and headachy all the time. I would love to just eat whatever I want, but I chose not to. I would not want to feel this way for a very long period of time, and I guess that's where the frustration of those who are venting come from. I get that!

I have been told by my surgeon and by other bandsters that the band is a tool, when it works it should make me feel full after a small amount of food, if it doesn't, due to various reasons, hopefully temporarily, I need to make healthier food choices when I eat so that if I have to eat more to feel satisfied the calories don't jump through the roof. I ended up at this weight from eating out alot and making unhealthy food choices. The band is not going to stop me from continuing to do this....only I can do that. I guess that's the point I was trying make.

I love hearing all of the stories on this forum, good and bad, frustrated or elated...it's all part of life with the band. I will be there in one week and will certainly need support and I willing to give it as well. You are the greatest group of ladies, I have never met.

My apologies if I offended anyone.

Cathy

Jena

Dr. Ortiz told me the same thing. By eating too much we are stretching our pouches.

Mona,

I totally hear what you are saying. I needed this tool because I eat too much, so by feeling full and uncomfortable I will stop eating. I'm only on my first week since being banded so I can't attest to some of the hardships that people are going through since their fills. I'm just praying that the fill will work for me. Doing this 3 weeks on liquids is going to be hell. I'm quite hungry right now.

good luck to you, and hopefully you will reach your sweet spot soon ><'

I love hearing all of the stories on this forum, good and bad, frustrated or elated...it's all part of life with the band. I will be there in one week and will certainly need support and I willing to give it as well. You are the greatest group of ladies, I have never met.

Cathy

Good luck to you Cathy!!

I was banded on May 8 and just started eating food on last Friday. I'm really concentrating on what I eat and am conscious of each bite. I don't know if I feel restriction like other people talk about, but I'm comfortably full after about 20 minutes of eating. (The time it takes me to eat a lean cuisine) I've never PB'ed or slimed, but I'm sticking to the rules about small bites, chewing well, and putting my fork down between bites.

I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else or more serious about this than anyone else, I'm an emotional eater and I'll eat even when I'm not hungry if I don't work hard to retrain myself. That's why I'm seeing a therapist who deals with food issues. I am dieting now along with the band. Dr. Miranda gave us all a description of how we should be eating. Protein first, veggies next, whole grains and fruit. She did say we have to learn portion control.

I am so grateful for everyone here. It's through everyone sharing their experiences that I learn more and more.

Jena

Good luck to you Cathy!!

I was banded on May 8 and just started eating food on last Friday. I'm really concentrating on what I eat and am conscious of each bite. I don't know if I feel restriction like other people talk about, but I'm comfortably full after about 20 minutes of eating. (The time it takes me to eat a lean cuisine) I've never PB'ed or slimed, but I'm sticking to the rules about small bites, chewing well, and putting my fork down between bites.

I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else or more serious about this than anyone else, I'm an emotional eater and I'll eat even when I'm not hungry if I don't work hard to retrain myself. That's why I'm seeing a therapist who deals with food issues. I am dieting now along with the band. Dr. Miranda gave us all a description of how we should be eating. Protein first, veggies next, whole grains and fruit. She did say we have to learn portion control.

I am so grateful for everyone here. It's through everyone sharing their experiences that I learn more and more.

Jena

Thanks Jena, I appreciate your support.

No one said this was going to be easy, infact I expect it to be much harder than any other diet plan I have tried in the past. I am determined to make it work. With restriction would be a bonus, but those times where I am not experiencing much or any restriction, I have to be conscious of what I am eating so that I can make this entire lifestyle change work for me.

Best of luck to you....Cathy

Since I started this thread, I am going to respond to some of the posts.

Um, hello ..................... the truth of the matter is that if we didn't have an eating problem, then none of us would have had lap band surgery or be scheduled for lap band surgery. If we could just "lose weight" by dieting, then we would. We'd save thousands of dollars and be thin.

Ok, back to reality.

I'm not sabotaging my weight loss. So I ate cookies Sunday. BIG DEAL. I suppose everyone who is on a DIET or has a TOOL has had cookies, cake, chocolate, etc. since they started their journey.

The reason for my post was to provide information to all - that it's really important to eat SOLIDS. That eating solids makes a difference. I was proving that point. Sheesh.

For certain persons to say that he or she will continue to be on a diet and no go back to your old eating habits is hogwash. It's not going to happen. You will have a cookie (oops, not on the diet plan is it?), you might have a soda (oh no!); you might eat ice cream, etc. It's important to get back on track (which I did), and to stay tough for the long haul.

Try not to judge others!

I've lost nearly 40 pounds since being banded on April 4, so I'm doing something right.

Cathy

Dr. O told me not to diet. Just to eat in the right order and eat when hungry, stop when full. He even said Eggs, Bacon, toast eat that just follow the guidelines as you do it for chewing, small bites, and taking time to sit and eat. The only restriction he said should apply to what you eat is no liquid cals. We are all smart enough to know what is good for us and we should focus on that but he said to be sure and not ban anything because it will cause cravings.

As I said previously,

I did not mean any disrespect at all....I have been seeing alot of postings lately, where there is over eating because the restriction is not there yet and they still wonder why there is no weight loss. I do understand that, because I am on my pre-op diet right now and I am feeling hungry and headachy all the time. I would love to just eat whatever I want, but I chose not to. I would not want to feel this way for a very long period of time, and I guess that's where the frustration of those who are venting come from. I get that! I feel that!

I have been told by my surgeon and by other bandsters that the band is a tool, when it works it should make me feel full after a small amount of food, if it doesn't, due to various reasons, hopefully temporarily, I need to make healthier food choices when I eat so that if I have to eat more to feel satisfied the calories don't jump through the roof. I ended up at this weight from eating out alot and making unhealthy food choices. The band is not going to stop me from continuing to do this....only I can do that. I guess that's the point I was trying make.

I am not saying that I will never have a cookie, ice cream or a taste of diet coke again, I have a long life to live to deprive myself of the good things in life. But while I have set a goal to lose weight, and I have alot of weight to lose, I am going to make a conscious effort to make healthy choices most of the time...and if I don't, I can't be mad at myself for not losing weight.

Cathy

As I said previously,

I did not mean any disrespect at all....I have been seeing alot of postings lately, where there is over eating because the restriction is not there yet and they still wonder why there is no weight loss. I do understand that, because I am on my pre-op diet right now and I am feeling hungry and headachy all the time. I would love to just eat whatever I want, but I chose not to. I would not want to feel this way for a very long period of time, and I guess that's where the frustration of those who are venting come from. I get that! I feel that!

I am not saying that I will never have a cookie, ice cream or a taste of diet coke again, I have a long life to live to deprive myself of the good things in life. But while I have set a goal to lose weight, and I have alot of weight to lose, I am going to make a conscious effort to make healthy choices most of the time...and if I don't, I can't be mad at myself for not losing weight.

Cathy

I am glad you are able to CHOOSE not to overeat. Not everyone has the ability to do that. That is why they got the band. And for me, that is why your comments are belittling.

But, I now have a question for you. If you are able to CHOOSE not to overeat, why are bothering to get the band at all? Simply CHOOSE to eat less, and save yourself some money and forget getting the band at all.

I was banded 4/4/08 (same as bandgroupie)

I chose the lapband because I don't want to count calories, or restrict myself from eating things I enjoy. I want to savor everything I eat. I just don't have to eat as much!

I had pizza two nights last week (baseball pizza party).

Last Friday for lunch I had a piece of cake with frosting - it was even the end piece!!!

That was my entire meal (before the band, that would have been an appetizer!)

I had soda two days last week. Bad Bad, but I enjoyed every drop and my craving is gone.

I even had a steak and a yummy hamburger!!! Yippee!!

I eat half of what I used to...AND I'M LOSING WEIGHT!!! I haven't had to give up anything. Sure, bagels with cream cheese get stuck and it's quite painful, so was the corndog and hot dog I tried last week. Sometimes so do eggs!! But I'm still eating foods I enjoy - and I'm losing weight. Isn't that what it's all about!!!

I'm do acknowledge that there are very successful weight loss stories - and the common thread with most of them is control. They are able to control their portions, control their environment, exercise, etc. That's why there are many successful Jenny Craig, Weight Watcher stories.

But for myself, I have no control over food - it controls me. Always has. I love food and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love to eat and enjoy many different things. I dont' want to give that up. And so for me, the lapband will be my tool to help control my portions. That's something I've never been able to do on my own.

Just wanted to add one thing to this reply....there is more simple reason to make healthier food choices is simple.

If you can only take in so much, you want to make sure it's food your body and put to good use.

For example, when I chose to have a piece of cake last week for lunch - that was a terrible food choice. Not for health reasons - I mean, cmon, 1 piece of chocolate cake in 8 weeks post-op is not going to ruin my weight loss. However, it was all sugar. So for the next two hours I was on a huge sugar high, followed by a very low sugar low. Terrible way to expect my body to continue thru the day. But it was my choice. I'm glad I did it - it was delicious, yummy, and I have no desire for a piece of chocolate cake now.

I refuse to diet. I'm not changing how I eat because I got banded. I'm not going to become a vegan, count calories, switch to fat free everything, etc. I'm going to eat what I ate before, because it wasn't all bad - I just ate too much. And that's my choice. I love food - I love to cook with butter, I love to eat steak instead of fish, I love warm syrup on french toast. You get my drift. And these are my choices. I don't have high cholesterol, high BP, or any other factors. I just have a very high BMI that was caused by eating too much. So now I choose to eat less of the good stuff I like.

I'm happy - and I'm losing weight!

I was banded 4/4/08 (same as bandgroupie)

I chose the lapband because I don't want to count calories, or restrict myself from eating things I enjoy. I want to savor everything I eat. I just don't have to eat as much!

I had pizza two nights last week (baseball pizza party).

Last Friday for lunch I had a piece of cake with frosting - it was even the end piece!!!

That was my entire meal (before the band, that would have been an appetizer!)

I had soda two days last week. Bad Bad, but I enjoyed every drop and my craving is gone.

I even had a steak and a yummy hamburger!!! Yippee!!

I eat half of what I used to...AND I'M LOSING WEIGHT!!! I haven't had to give up anything. Sure, bagels with cream cheese get stuck and it's quite painful, so was the corndog and hot dog I tried last week. Sometimes so do eggs!! But I'm still eating foods I enjoy - and I'm losing weight. Isn't that what it's all about!!!

I'm do acknowledge that there are very successful weight loss stories - and the common thread with most of them is control. They are able to control their portions, control their environment, exercise, etc. That's why there are many successful Jenny Craig, Weight Watcher stories.

But for myself, I have no control over food - it controls me. Always has. I love food and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love to eat and enjoy many different things. I dont' want to give that up. And so for me, the lapband will be my tool to help control my portions. That's something I've never been able to do on my own.

Amen....................Everything you said is right on!!

Just wanted to add one thing to this reply....there is more simple reason to make healthier food choices is simple.

If you can only take in so much, you want to make sure it's food your body and put to good use.

For example, when I chose to have a piece of cake last week for lunch - that was a terrible food choice. Not for health reasons - I mean, cmon, 1 piece of chocolate cake in 8 weeks post-op is not going to ruin my weight loss. However, it was all sugar. So for the next two hours I was on a huge sugar high, followed by a very low sugar low. Terrible way to expect my body to continue thru the day. But it was my choice. I'm glad I did it - it was delicious, yummy, and I have no desire for a piece of chocolate cake now.

I refuse to diet. I'm not changing how I eat because I got banded. I'm not going to become a vegan, count calories, switch to fat free everything, etc. I'm going to eat what I ate before, because it wasn't all bad - I just ate too much. And that's my choice. I love food - I love to cook with butter, I love to eat steak instead of fish, I love warm syrup on french toast. You get my drift. And these are my choices. I don't have high cholesterol, high BP, or any other factors. I just have a very high BMI that was caused by eating too much. So now I choose to eat less of the good stuff I like.

I'm happy - and I'm losing weight!

I totally agree, if you can eat what you like and still lose weight, you have the best of both and that terrific!

For the times when restriction is not happening and the weight is not coming off, better food choices will help!

It's all about getting healthy, losing weight and getting all the vitamins and nutrients your body needs!

I would love a peice of chocolate cake right now, but I will have to settle for a chocolate Optifast shake....soon though!

Thanks for sharing!

Cathy

Calicat,

I know exactly what you mean about the sugar high/low after eating something sugary. I had a major cookie dough craving a few days ago and ate like half a thing of it. It was pretty easy to eat and I have a great fill. But, I felt like crap for 2 days! So I probably won't do that for a long time again. I didn't beat myself up about it either. I guess I settled that craving for now!

Karen