Horrible headache 4 days post-op

Hi all,

I had surgery with Dr. Ortiz on Friday (May 30). Like others have said -- wonderful staff, experience, etc., etc. I highly recommend....

I flew home to Nashville on Sunday, June 1. It was a long day. I did a good job of drinking water, water wit juice, or protein water on the flights and felt like I stayed hydrated. I was exhausted when I got home and slept a good 8 hours. (Way more than my typical 5 hours... hmmm, could it be that not taking care of myself is how I got overweight in the first place! HA)

I went to work Monday and tried very hard to take it easy, but it was a super long day. Worked from 8 am to 3 pm, then drove an hour north of town to unload items for an upcoming work related event. I was able to get help with the lifting, but still it was a little strenuous. Headed home, packed, and then had to drive 5 hours to Atlanta for a meeting. I arrived at 1 am Tuesday morning. The drive was grueling. I sipped on protein water and found an orange juice smoothy at one of the gas stations that gave me much needed energy to make it to the hotel.

Another good night of sleep (almost 8 hours) and then I've been in meetings all day. The gas pains have been bad because I haven't had the opportunity to walk around through out the day. A vitamin water for breakfast, protein water throughout the day, and tortilla soup broth for dinner. Many, many, many questions... This meeting is with my peer group from across the country that I only see about once a quarter so I have not felt the need to tell them that I was banded on Friday. They are taking bets that I must be pregnant because I'm "eating funny."

Anyway, I'm back in the hotel now and dreading another 6 hours of meetings tomorrow before a 5 hour drive home. My head has been pounding for most of the day. I am pretty sure I am in ketosis (from the old Atkins diet days) because my mouth tastes crappy and my tongue is sort of coated. I know I'm not taking it as easy as I need to but I've just got to make it through tomorrow and the drive home then I can rest.

I took a 800 mg ibuprofen this afternoon (crushed up in a couple of sips of water) but I'm afraid to take too much more pain killer... isn't motrin on an empty stomach rough on you?

I brought a couple of protein shakes in a cooler as a security blanket, but I haven't drank them yet because I'm not supposed to go to shakes until Friday at the earliest. I don't feel hungry... just a killer headache!

There was more than once that my boss (who I also don't see but about once a quarter) stopped the meeting to say "Tanya, by the look on your face I can tell you aren't on board with this or that." No -- actually, this look means "OMG My head is going to explode!!!! And it when it does, I think my left shoulder will go with it!"

Anyway, sorry so long. Thanks for letting me vent and if you have any thoughts/tricks for the headache I'd appreciate it!

~ :wacko: Tanya

I feel for you and can't believe you're doing so much so soon!! Did you cut down on coffee? I had a killer headache but soon realized I didn't drink any coffee and finally figured out that’s what caused it and had a quick cup. If you are near a store try "head on" it actually works, and good for us since its something we don't have to swallow!

Most likely you are over exhausted, take a deep breath and know you're not going to be your normal self. Try some deep breathing, in through your nose and out through your mouth to cleanse your body and relax. Think positive thoughts and get yourself through this trip. Sorry for your pain!

Lisa

The coffee is what I was gonna ask...... Dr. O told me to go ahead and drink it, I only have in in the AM. I drink an iced tea in the afternoon and haven't had any headaches. [Thank Goodness!!] :) Keep up the fluids.... do you feel faint, dizzy, light headed? Maybe your sugar level's too low?? Keep us updated! darlene

I'm not a coffee drinker and I gave up soda in February in preparation for my band.

HOWEVER, I do usually have one Crystal Lite "Focus" every morning. It's a flavor pack that has a little caffiene in it. I had one this morning, but my days have been so long that maybe one wasn't enough. I think I will try a little more caffiene to get me through tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion!

You just had surgery, girl! Isn't there any way you can take at least a few days off? I've seen where some people take up to six weeks off, which I think is way more than you need, but I would think you deserve at least two or three days to rest and recover!

I agree with the previous posts.. YOU NEED REST. you may think you are well enough to handle the stress and emotion of going back to work, but from what it sounds you are OVER worked and need time off to recoup. I think headaches are the first signs of overload. Maybe you could review a video that shows the entire surgery and what your body is put through to realize how much trauma it has endured. Put it this way, if you don't get rest NOW you will pay for it LATER.

OH and you definetly have to WALK WALK WALK...make some time- even 10 minutes every three or four hours, make it like a "smoke break" or "coffee break" but instead "WALK break" this will relieve your gas as well as start setting you up for longer walks which will help you lose and tone faster. Of course this is strictly my opinion and hope that you do take care of yourself because if you don't who will?

:lb23:

I had to take children's Motrin to get rid of my major headache. It was so bad it was making me sick. I think allot of the headache had to do with a combination of things. My left shoulder was in so much pain from the gas of the surgery, that it was bringing me to tears. I also went cold turkey on soda, I lived on Diet Coke. (Good thing is since the surgery I have not craved it at all!) I was a morning quad expresso person before the surgery, also cut that down the first 2 weeks, the taste was gross to me, and craved Ice Tea, which I never drank before. So basically went cold turkey on that also. I also went right back to work after the surgery, but couldn't work the full 8 hours. I was drinking bottles of Motrin at work but it finally worked with the walking. I hope you feel better! :give_rose:

I had terrible headaches a couple of weeks after my surgery, I still don't know what it was from but they lasted about a week (off and on). They weren't caffeine related for me, I think it was something to do with my new diet - who knows. They stopped thankfully and I'm sure yours will too.