Tomorrow.. day 1 real food..

Hi All, Well I have managed quite well on the liquid phase of my diet, and am now progressing to solid food tomorrow. I've got all the material from Dr. Miranda, however, I am just not sure what the hell I'm going to eat. This is going to take quite a bit of work to change the foods that I'm used to eating. Sooooooooo many rules. So... protein first, no liquid protein. Can I have soup??? Can I have cereal? With milk? And if so, what kind? By the way... the look of oatmeal will most likely make me puke! Just the texture I guess. I bought some cottage cheese, tuna, eggs and fish. Hmmm... gotta be more on the menu than that. Oh.. and I bought iceberg lettuce and some veggies. I know there's chicken and steak, but chew the shit out of it. Hmmm... is it worth it? After all, you really can't eat very much. Oh.. and... crackers? Can I have low fat cheese and crackers? Anybody know what kind of crackers are high in fiber? You have to have 1200 calories a day. Am I going to be able to eat that many calories with such a small amount of food? I am doing just fine on protein shakes and soups, maybe I could just stay on that??? JK (just kdding) I also need to bring my lunch to work everyday, so the more convenient the better. Breakfast is usually a quick, eat and run as well, but I know I'm going to have to change that. Please let me know what work's for you. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks everyone... ><' Anita

OMG, I can't believe it's already time for you to eat. that's awesome. I just took it slow and easy. I still had a shake for breakfast and I think I had soup, not just creamy for lunch and an easy supper, like baked fish, green beans and cream potatoes. I didn't eat but about 1/2 of what I would have normally eaten. What ever you decide make it simple and make it work for you.

I am so glad your doing so well and I love the pictures, especially the one with dr. O. =D>

reneej

Breakfast is the hardest.

I love boiled eggs so I'd through one into boil as I was getting ready for work. It would fill me up pretty fast. I generally have a few boiled in my fridge, good for quick protein. I always have stir fried veggies cooked and ready to heat up in the microwave. (I put in soft boiled little red tomatoes, red/green peppers, onions, garlic and carrots – cook a pan ahead of time and use it for almost every meal) And I buy those little all natural fruit cups that stay in your fridge. I also buy the egg whites and its takes a couple of minutes to whip them up.

I like to make it so meals are easy, otherwise I mess up. I now love trader Joes, I always have mini toasts on hand (wheat, not white) and have those for my whole grains toast in the morning (they are a bit like croutons, but really dry so we can keep them down). Also, and this is cheating, sometimes I can be really tight in the am and can’t eat or I have that feeling that I need more protein, I have been known to sneak in a protein shake….. But I didn’t’ do this at first – I really did focus on trying to create the habit of eating by the rules. Try buying those small plastic containers (tiny ones) from the grocery store and put protein in one, veggies and fruit in the other and pack some whole week crackers. I'd just cook some meat up, cut it up and fill up 3 with protein, and so forth. You'd have your lunch ready for the next few days...

No soup for you! (Right now try to focus on solids)

Cereal, I just never did, couldn't figure out how to make it into protein, veggies, fruits, carbs. If you can let me know. (Now I am a bit neurotic about following the rules, others will have cereal, my guess is with the milk it would flow down to easily)

I work at least 60 hours per week, my kids are older but 2 are still at home so I get that this can be hard. Try to set some time to organize your food (and it looks like you did) and you’ll be more prone to success.

Good luck!

Lisa

Hi Anita,

I usually do egg whites or Kashi Go lean cereal for breakfast (it has 10 grams of protein for a cup). For lunch I have some tuna with pickles and maybe some light cheese (laughing cow light is great). If I need something crunchy with my cheese I usually have rice crackers though I have found the Carr's table water crackers are pretty diet friendly too. For dinner sometimes I have lean cuisine but if I make dinner (or go out) I try to decide ahead what my portion will be. I don't usually make food that needs a starch (I would just feel sorry for myself if everybody else is having a burger and I'm having plain chicken) and I have gotten hooked on reading labels on everything I see, there is actually quite a few calorie friendly marinades and sauces out there.

If I am having a bad day and dying for a snack I try to make it healthy, like some hummus (not all kinds are low fat, two tribes is pretty good) with carrots. As others have mentioned in past posts it helps to not even have junk food in the house. If you are going to have chips, make them rice crackers. Or Safeway has new 'Eating Right' chips that are only 110 cal and 1.5 gr fat for 23 chips. They are really yummy.

You are so motivated that I am sure you are going to do just great.

I love boiled eggs too but they didn't agree with my band and that is the only thing to this time that I PB on so chew very very carefully. My first breakfast was I egg over easy, 1/4 pc. toast with tiny amount of Peanut Butter and I was stuffed. My first Lunch was a turkey slice, a small pc. of avacado, a couple of ritz crackers and a couple bites of carrot (chewed to death). My first dinner was 1/8 beef frank, 1/8 brat, about 1 oz. steak all done on the grill, 3 small bites of baked beans and 3 small bites of grilled potatoes and I felt like I have just eaten a huge feast. I do still PB is I eat to fast or don't chew really well. Believe me you don't want to PB, it is horrible!!!!

I had rice krispies for breakfast and a cheese quesdilla for lunch. I have no clue what I had for dinner on my first day - probably something Mexican!

Hi guys

I'm a boiled egg gal in the morning or one of those cottage cheese/fruit cups.

Lunch on the go is usually one of the tuna salad andcracker combos.

Salmon/chicken/steak with veggies for dinner. 20cal popsicle as a later snack.

I do tend to have a yoghurt mid afternoon just to keep me going.

Hope were helping.

Nicolek

Thank you ladies for taking the time to help me out. Great idea's. I do love eggs, so I will boil some, and keep some in the fridge. That will make a good chef salad with a small piece of chicken or turkey. I will remember to chew, chew, chew. I love green beans so that works well with the fish and a small amount of potatoes. I don't think I have seen the fruit and cottage cheese cups here in Canada. I will look next time I head down to Bellingham for a few things. Do any of you count your calories to make sure you're getting 1200 a day? Also.. do you find you need to have a small snack between meals? I'm just wondering how difficult it would be considering you can't drink for an hour after a meal, and 1/2 hour before a meal. Doesn't leave much time to get all your water in between does it? Again.. thank's the great idea's. Reneej... I know the time has really flown hasn't it. Hope you're doing well. Anita

I had to keep a log and I would have small snacks if I was getting hungry. I like apple chips, which are low calorie and hit the spot. And everyone else is right on, I do have chips but they are low calorie and mainly the rice chips. Skinny cows are low calorie ice cream, and I love the fudgecycles. If I needed to have some type of snack food, my goal was to not only loose weight, but to be healthy (I've got my kids and husband eating like this now and you'll see his weight loss in the pictures as well - which is pretty good, since I heard that spouses of people with diet surgery often gain since they'll eat our extra food)

I created an eating log that adds up my calories per meal. Here's an example, its organized by calories by protein, veggies, fruits and carbs - that way I don't forget to eat something. If anyone needs a copy just send me your email address and I'll get one out to you. Its really good at first to help you understand and actually see what you are eating. Most times I was having a hard time getting to 1000 calories. (and a side bar that adds up the protein, I was really trying to make sure I got enough) I also kept a water area, I was like you - worried I wouldn't get enough. I keep a bottle of water with me everywhere I go and drink all the time.

Lisa

Eating Log

Day 1

Breakfast Calories Protein exercise notes

Total 0 0

Lunch Calories Protein Daily Water

Total 0 0 0

Dinner Calories Protein

*Protein

*Veggies

*Fruits

*Carbs

Total 0 0

Anita, I'm feeling you girl!! I went shopping for "real food" last night and was so overwhelmed walking through the aisles of the Super Walmart! It just about made me want to just run back home to my Slim Fast Optimas!! Looks like there's some great advice on your post here though - I know we'll do great!!