Getting banded August 24

But not with Ortiz. I've posted this in other areas, but I want to say again, I have no problem with Ortiz's credentials. At the end of the day, I found a doctor in Thousand Oaks, CA. Dr. Donald Waldrep has had an office in Sacramento for a long time, and has done a lot of surgeries, both band and bypass. He recently opened an office in Thousand Oaks at a great facility that is within 10 minutes of my house.

Since Dr. Waldrep has not been in southern California for long, he is drastically reducing his rate to get some So Cal clientelle. I am paying $11,011 which covers the surgery and the hospital. I'm going through my PCP for the pre-op labs and screening. I'm paying for the upper GI, a psych eval, and a consult with a nutritionist. My insurance won't cover these things, since this is "elective surgery".

I had an appointment scheduled with Dr. Ortiz, but when I found Dr. Waldrep this close to home, I decided to go with him. It's a little more money than Ortiz, and he hasn't done 3000 bands, but he seems great.

I had an initial consult with two other people. Waldrep went over the history of stomach surgeries, which gave me some useful info for when I discussed this with family. "They used staples in this older procedure, which started a lot of the horror stories your family will tell you." So true for me. He discussed the pros and cons of banding and bypass. Those are the only two surgeries he performs. I've been researching the band for a while, so of course that's what I'm going with.

I've had my psych and nutrition consult. The nutrition consult was pretty great. Of course, the pre- and post- diet is a little different with every office. They want me on liquids for a week before the surgery. Then a week of clear, a week of liquid, and a week of mushy. I think that's the same as Dr. Miranda has you do. One thing my nutritionist mentioned that I was surprised about was the 80 grams of protein they want me to have in a day. The nutritionist showed me a clear protein water that has 40 grams in a 20oz bottle. Don't remember what it's called. I thought to myself how easy it will be, since I can down a bottle mid-morning, and a bottle mid-afternoon! I drink like a fish, so no big deal. Then she reminded me that I can only drink about a dixie cup of liquid at a time. Going to be a lot of work! Sounds like I'm actually going to have to concentrate and plan to get all my nutrients.

I got a call this morning, and they can schedule my surgery for August 17. I got a chest x-ray and an ekg and some labs earlier this week. I have an upper GI tomorrow morning. I have a pre-op appointment this Friday, when I'll have to have payment ready, and we'll go over the last of the details.

I really like the fact that I won't have to be out of town for four days. I can sleep in my own bed the night before surgery, and get home quick.

I'm so excited about this. I keep thinking about how by Christmas, I'll be so much thinner. Really can't wait.

One last thing. Hope I don't offend anyone by talking about another doctor on this forum. I've just talked to lots of you, and wanted to share here.

Rid - Congratulations! If I could have found a qualified surgeon who would have done my surgery in the USA for that price just minutes away from my home ... I'd have signed up in a heartbeat! I'm happy for you and I look forward to hearing your posts about your experience. I'll be praying for your success and wish you the best! Chelley

Thanks! Today I went and had my upper GI. I'm a pretty smart guy, but I had no idea what I was doing. I actually thought this was a scope that they would put down my throat. For those of you who haven't had the fun of doing this, it's basically an x-ray that requires you drink barium.

They first had me swallow some crystals. They were kinda like eating crystal light without the water. They were designed to create gas in my stomach lining, but I wasn't allowed to burp. I washed down the crystals with a nice cool glass of thick barium. For those of you who haven't had this culinary delight, let me try to describe. Imagine taking some pepto bismol and dumping old thermometer mercury in it. Pepto + metalic yuck = barium. The cool part was that the crystals had a strong citrus flavor that covered some of the metalic taste. I took some pictures, and thought that it was a pretty easy thing!

Then, while laying on the table, they handed me what looked like a sports bottle with a straw. They said, "Here's your barium. Please drink it all now." About 20 oz of crap that made the other barium taste like a vanilla malt. I'm not quite sure how they were able to make it so horrible, but I almost spit it up. I never get sick, and I came pretty close.

At least it wasn't a scope, and as my wife pointed out, at least it was going in your MOUTH!

Tomorrow is my last pre-op appointment before surgery, and I'm really looking forward to sitting down with my doc again and going over things. When I had my first consult, he took group questions, and then agreed to meet with me one on one. We sat and talked for 30 minutes, and by the end, I felt like he was an old friend. Tomorrow, my wife is coming with me, and we both can ask all the questions, and make sure that I'm all set.

I'll report back again tomorrow.

Rid

Rid .. you forgot to mention the nice strawberry chalk flavor of the barium! LOL!!! Get use to it my friend, expecially if you want to have your fills under fluroscopy because you get to drink that stuff again and again! FYI .. make sure you watch your bowels ... if they didn't tell ya, barium can set up like concrete in your colon unless you drink plenty of water and don't be worried if your first stools are a little pale. It is standard at my hopsital that all patients having a barium test get a nice dose of Milk of Magnesia before bedtime ... we loving call it MOM for short. Yeah, I know... we nurses have sick humor! :lol:

P.S. - It's not necessary to take MOM after a fill because you don't actually chuck-a-lug it like you do for a upper GI exam. Drinking adequate amounts of water will help eliminate the barium from a fill.

Rid .. you forgot to mention the nice strawberry chalk flavor of the barium! LOL!!! Get use to it my friend, expecially if you want to have your fills under fluroscopy because you get to drink that stuff again and again! FYI .. make sure you watch your bowels ... if they didn't tell ya, barium can set up like concrete in your colon unless you drink plenty of water and don't be worried if your first stools are a little pale. It is standard at my hopsital that all patients having a barium test get a nice dose of Milk of Magnesia before bedtime ... we loving call it MOM for short. Yeah, I know... we nurses have sick humor! :lol:

P.S. - It's not necessary to take MOM after a fill because you don't actually chuck-a-lug it like you do for a upper GI exam. Drinking adequate amounts of water will help eliminate the barium from a fill.

Chelley,

I am a nurse too. Not banded yet. I am "patiently" :rolleyes: waiting for insurance authorization. If it doesn't come through, I plan to be banded in Mexico IF I can find a local fill Dr. I am scheduled for an EGD next Thursday. All of a sudden I am wondering why I am having the upper endoscopy rather than an upper GI. Do you suppose it is because I have a known H. Pylori infection?

Thanks. They did warn me, and they are definitely right. I would have KILLED for strawberry chalk, however. Better than the taste of a dirty lamp post!

I had my final pre-op with the doc today. It was awesome. He's great, and has my same sense of humor. I found out that I'm his first band in this office. He's done a boat load in Sacramento, but I'll be his first Thousand Oaks band. I guess that's why I couldn't find any so cal banders who had him! But with his experience, it'll be fine. I've heard from several Sacramento bandsters who have had positive experiences.

Tonight's my last supper before my liquid pre-op fast. Two weeks of liquids with no restriction. I think this will be tough for me, although I can see an end at the surgery date. Then at least I'll have the restriction to help.

I thought about not having a last supper, since I've had PLENTY of splurges over the years that got me to this point. But as I was getting ready for my liquid dinner (and not the cool liquid dinners I had in college!), I decided to have one last night with pizza.

I also found out today that since I'm having my surgery so early in the morning, I may get to go home that same day! I'm glad it won't be over night if I don't need it. I certainly can stay the night there if I want. It'll be my choice. But since I'm so close to the hospital, my own bed might be the way to go.

I'm wondering if I'll be up to going to a few meetings the day after. I guess I'll just have to see.

Rid

So today was my first day of the pre-op fast. Two meals a day that can each fit on a desert plate. Then everything else is liquids. Also a test since it was my wife's birthday party. I did good. No cake for me, and since I had a meal before I got there, I resisted all food while I was there and just drank a bunch. It was my first social gathering on a new diet. Not easy, but I got through it. I was able to stay with the program.

I know that those of you post-op probably don't have much sympathy since I'm not on all liquids. But without the band, it's just plain dieting, which obviously I'm not good at or I wouldn't need the band in the first place. I sure was grouchy, too. Fought it off, but I was really having a hard time not being short with everyone. Don't know how much was chemical, and how much was irritation at having to diet.

Looking forward to having the band in two weeks. I know it won't be easy then, but at least it'll be something new.

Chelley,

I am a nurse too. Not banded yet. I am "patiently" :rolleyes: waiting for insurance authorization. If it doesn't come through, I plan to be banded in Mexico IF I can find a local fill Dr. I am scheduled for an EGD next Thursday. All of a sudden I am wondering why I am having the upper endoscopy rather than an upper GI. Do you suppose it is because I have a known H. Pylori infection?

Not sure about that one. I'd definately ask. Chelley

So today was my first day of the pre-op fast. Two meals a day that can each fit on a desert plate. Then everything else is liquids. Also a test since it was my wife's birthday party. I did good. No cake for me, and since I had a meal before I got there, I resisted all food while I was there and just drank a bunch. It was my first social gathering on a new diet. Not easy, but I got through it. I was able to stay with the program.

I know that those of you post-op probably don't have much sympathy since I'm not on all liquids. But without the band, it's just plain dieting, which obviously I'm not good at or I wouldn't need the band in the first place. I sure was grouchy, too. Fought it off, but I was really having a hard time not being short with everyone. Don't know how much was chemical, and how much was irritation at having to diet.

Looking forward to having the band in two weeks. I know it won't be easy then, but at least it'll be something new.

Hang in there Rid... you can do it as long as you know it is only for two weeks and you've already got a few days knocked out of the way! Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing!!

Rid

I was VERY sore for about 2 days after. I felt like I had been kicked in the upper stomach by a horse. I couldn't go back to work for 2 weeks and then 6 on light duty, but my job required heavy lifting. I was out of the hospital 4 hours after my surgery. I did sleep alot afterwards, but I was up and moving around the house the same day. It helped though that my doc supplied me with one of the nausea relief bracelets. If you are not supplied one, I would definitely invest in one, most pharmacies have them for around 10 bucks. It REALLY helped me while the swelling around my band was going down. Good luck!!

Only 5 days to go. I've been on a diet for a week and two days, and I'm doing pretty well. My pre-op diet was for two weeks prior to surgery. Two small meals a day that fit on a desert plate. No snacks, and one of them needs to be breakfast. All the clear liquids I can drink.

REALLY hard last weekend on Sunday, when we were relaxing around the house. Watched a lot of TV with my son, and the head hunger was like jonesin' for a drug. I couldn't stop thinking about a snack. I had a LOT of broth that day. Broth of chicken, broth of beef, broth of chicken with tobasco, onion soup broth. This week I can barely stand even looking at broth. Sugar free popscicles have been my saving grace. Tropical flavored. Still love em.

Now coming up to surgery, I'm really excited. No dread or anxiety at all. Just looking forward to it. I know I can handle doing the post-op diet. I know I'm going to be able to do this.

I guess we'll see how it goes, and if my confidence was well placed.

Rid

But not with Ortiz. I've posted this in other areas, but I want to say again, I have no problem with Ortiz's credentials. At the end of the day, I found a doctor in Thousand Oaks, CA. Dr. Donald Waldrep has had an office in Sacramento for a long time, and has done a lot of surgeries, both band and bypass. He recently opened an office in Thousand Oaks at a great facility that is within 10 minutes of my house.

Since Dr. Waldrep has not been in southern California for long, he is drastically reducing his rate to get some So Cal clientelle. I am paying $11,011 which covers the surgery and the hospital. I'm going through my PCP for the pre-op labs and screening. I'm paying for the upper GI, a psych eval, and a consult with a nutritionist. My insurance won't cover these things, since this is "elective surgery".

I had an appointment scheduled with Dr. Ortiz, but when I found Dr. Waldrep this close to home, I decided to go with him. It's a little more money than Ortiz, and he hasn't done 3000 bands, but he seems great.

I had an initial consult with two other people. Waldrep went over the history of stomach surgeries, which gave me some useful info for when I discussed this with family. "They used staples in this older procedure, which started a lot of the horror stories your family will tell you." So true for me. He discussed the pros and cons of banding and bypass. Those are the only two surgeries he performs. I've been researching the band for a while, so of course that's what I'm going with.

I've had my psych and nutrition consult. The nutrition consult was pretty great. Of course, the pre- and post- diet is a little different with every office. They want me on liquids for a week before the surgery. Then a week of clear, a week of liquid, and a week of mushy. I think that's the same as Dr. Miranda has you do. One thing my nutritionist mentioned that I was surprised about was the 80 grams of protein they want me to have in a day. The nutritionist showed me a clear protein water that has 40 grams in a 20oz bottle. Don't remember what it's called. I thought to myself how easy it will be, since I can down a bottle mid-morning, and a bottle mid-afternoon! I drink like a fish, so no big deal. Then she reminded me that I can only drink about a dixie cup of liquid at a time. Going to be a lot of work! Sounds like I'm actually going to have to concentrate and plan to get all my nutrients.

I got a call this morning, and they can schedule my surgery for August 17. I got a chest x-ray and an ekg and some labs earlier this week. I have an upper GI tomorrow morning. I have a pre-op appointment this Friday, when I'll have to have payment ready, and we'll go over the last of the details.

I really like the fact that I won't have to be out of town for four days. I can sleep in my own bed the night before surgery, and get home quick.

I'm so excited about this. I keep thinking about how by Christmas, I'll be so much thinner. Really can't wait.

One last thing. Hope I don't offend anyone by talking about another doctor on this forum. I've just talked to lots of you, and wanted to share here.

Rid....Congrats!

Sounds like you've done your homework and found what works for you. This time next week you'll be a BANDSTER!! Be sure and let us know how you progress and how you are feeling. I was not offended at all about you talking about or electing to use another surgeon besides Dr. Ortiz, I just get offended when his character and credentials are questioned. Good luck and smile for us.....your journey has begun my friend! Big hug and you'll be in my prayers next week ....Dreamer

Rid....Congrats!

Sounds like you've done your homework and found what works for you. This time next week you'll be a BANDSTER!! Be sure and let us know how you progress and how you are feeling. I was not offended at all about you talking about or electing to use another surgeon besides Dr. Ortiz, I just get offended when his character and credentials are questioned. Good luck and smile for us.....your journey has begun my friend! Big hug and you'll be in my prayers next week ....Dreamer

Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it. I was really proud of myself today at lunch. I know I'm counting down to the last few meals before band, and I've really resisted any "last suppers" at this point. I want to make sure that I lose what they need me to in order to shrink my liver. Today at lunch I had one of my favorites (won't describe it, it'll just frustrate those on liquids). I had about a 1/3 of it left, and started feeling just a little bit full. I stopped.

That might not sound like a big deal, but it is to me. I gave up the last 1/3 of that delicious meal, and I feel so good for it. Maybe this stuff will work after all! I figure if I could do that today without the band, I really should be where I'd like to be with the band.

People have asked me if I'm nervous. I'm not. Not at all. I'm really looking forward to the help and the new life. I'm not thinking it's going to be easy, so don't worry about that. I've read almost every post on here in the last three months, so I know there can be problems. I'm just really looking forward to having this tool in place.

Rid

36 hours from now, I'll be banded. I seriously cannot wait. I know it won't be all sunshine and light, but I'm really looking forward to having it. I'll post a Chelley-esque recap of it when I'm up to it. I have to go out tomorrow and stock up on my protein water and popscicles.

Keep me in your thoughts Thursday at 7:30am. Thanks to everyone for your support and info.

Rid

Rid,

Congradulations! I can't wait to hear how it went! How did your pre-op diet work for you. Did you lose enough, like you were supposed to. I just started my pre-op diet with Dr. Ortiz today, and I am jealous. But I want this to work, so whatever it takes.

Becki

Rid,

Congradulations! I can't wait to hear how it went! How did your pre-op diet work for you. Did you lose enough, like you were supposed to. I just started my pre-op diet with Dr. Ortiz today, and I am jealous. But I want this to work, so whatever it takes.

Becki

I lost enough. However, MY SURGERY WAS RESCHEDULED! Last minute, my doctor had a family emergency and had to postpone. I'm now on for next Thursday, August 24th.

:angry:

Rid,

Too bad about the rescheduling. That stinks. Let me tell you though.......don't for once think you will have to say goodbye to any of your favorite foods. Bread and tortillas have been the only thing that give me trouble. I still eat Chines food, Mexican food, lots of salad. French fries in moderation and eat them realllllyyyyy slow. Anyways, just wanted to share. I laugh when I read people posting about their "Last Meal" That is soooooo not true. You can still eat Ding Dongs and Potato Chips. Trust me....I know.

good luck.

Jen

Rid,

You must be banded by now, based on the time. I hope everything went well and that you will tell us every detail when you are able. Thinking about you, and excited for you.

Becki

Thanks for the nice wishes. Unfortunately, as I posted above, my surgery got postponed until next week. I'm disappointed, but a week isn't that long. I guess. :angry:

Rid,

Too bad about the rescheduling. That stinks. Let me tell you though.......don't for once think you will have to say goodbye to any of your favorite foods. Bread and tortillas have been the only thing that give me trouble. I still eat Chines food, Mexican food, lots of salad. French fries in moderation and eat them realllllyyyyy slow. Anyways, just wanted to share. I laugh when I read people posting about their "Last Meal" That is soooooo not true. You can still eat Ding Dongs and Potato Chips. Trust me....I know.

good luck.

Jen

Thanks! I actually told someone that just the other day. I can have almost any food I want in moderation. However, I also know that I can drink enough wine and milkshakes and eat enough french fries to ensure that I lose NO weight at all. I'll probably stick with the really healthy stuff until I have a lot of weight off. I'll be looking for a few cookies at Christmas...

By the way, does anyone know how to change the title of a post? I really don't want to start a new one with "Getting Banded August 24" and lose all these good posts. Can I just change the title of this thread?

Awwww Rid! I feel your frustration, but don't dispair... you'll be banded soon enough! Best wishes to you! Chelley

Thanks! Coming from you, that means a lot. Especially since you are a "Supreme Member" now! :P

Wednesday, Thursday, and the start of Friday were not that great of days. A little depressed about the delay. But since I had cleared my schedule for Thursday, I got a lot of work done. That's a positive at least. Then on Friday I got a personal call from Dr. Waldrep, apologizing for having to reschedule. That meant a lot.

I've been trying out Isopure protein water. It counts as a clear liquid. It has no carbs, but 40g of protein in a bottle. Really sweet, though, which I don't get because of the zero carbs. Several flavors, and I'm using my extra week to try them out. So far, Passion Fruit and Blue Raspberry are TOO sweet. Ice Orange is a lot better. Alpine Punch, not too bad. I still have to try a Melon one, and a Peach one. I've been told to get 80g a day in protein, so these drinks are going to be a great thing.

At least I'm losing weight on my pre-op! Down 16 pounds without a band. Still really looking forward to Thursday.

P.S. If anyone knows how to change the title of a forum thread, please let me know! I'd really like to change this thread to my new date of August 24th.

I tried two more things today that count as liquids, and really helped. I really don't enjoy broth, so I asked my doc if the top ramen flavor packet would count as broth. They said okay, and I had a GREAT bowl of oriental top ramen soup. No noodles, of course, but it really was great.

Then I found some decaf apple cinnamon tea. Got some hot water going, added a splenda packet, and really enjoyed something that tasted like apple cider! Again, clear liquid. I know we can have juice anyway, but I don't like all the sugar in most juice.

Thought I'd share. Between this, and the Isopure protein water, I really think I should be able to get through my liquids after this Thursday. Here's hoping.

Oh, by the way, you guys all talking about food dreams. I laughed about that. Until my last dream this morning was about cinnamon crumb donuts! MAN!! Made it hard to get through my "breakfast". But I guess I've joined the food dream group...

Well, 12 hours to go. Not much more to say that hasn't been said. I'll try to post tomorrow, and let you all know how the surgery went. I guess we'll see how my ideas hold up post-band. Thanks again to everyone for all the support and advice. I can't wait to get this started tomorrow. I wouldn't have scheduled this surgery without the support and posts here, especially Chelley's detailed report of her experience. Plus, I know I'm going to have a better time of it because of all the words of advice I've read here. Hope I can pass those on through my experiences in the weeks to come.

Still wishing I could change the title of this thread. If there's a moderator, it would be great to do that.

Talk to you all tomorrow.