Getting banded August 24

Wow. I'm a bandster.

Started early this morning. At the hospital at 6am, and was in by 6:15 to do the pre-op questions and get the IV. They brought back my wife at about 6:30, and we sat for about 10 to 15 minutes before I walked into the operating room. I think this was when it really hit me. I guess my face was pretty expressive. I walked in, and saw a row of surgical tools that looked a little scary. The anesthesiologist asked me if I was nervous. Told him I was, and he told me he'd give me a little something to make it feel better. I wonder if I got pale, or just real tense. He gave me a little something, and within 10 seconds I felt buzzed. That was a lot better.

I cracked myself up. He was talking to me, and asked me what I did for a living. I told him I'm an attorney (which I am). He said that was great, and asked me what kind of law I practiced. I told him medical malpractice (which I do not). You should have seen their faces. I told them I was just kidding, and we had a laugh. I got leg cuffs, but no catheter, thank God.

I woke up hurting at my port site. They got me pain meds, but to be honest, even tonight it still hurts. That was the main thing when I woke up. I didn't have the gas pain that I read about in other posts, although I'm getting a little of that tonight. Mostly, it's just my port site. I stayed in recovery for a few hours working with my oxygen level and the correct amount of pain meds. I then moved to my private room, and planned to be discharged by about 3pm. The radiologist wasn't available until 3pm, which delayed my discharge.

The radiologist did a small upper GI to test the position of the band, and my flow-through. All was well. As a side note, this upper GI was WAY better than my pre-op one. The liquid was really pretty tasty. More vanilla than lamp post. :) They also took an x-ray.

All was well, and I was discharged and out of there by around 4pm. I'm doing great. I continued to keep walking after reading all the posts here about the gas. I had a committment tonight at 5pm, and even made it to this event! It was a little rough putting on nice clothes when I got home, but I was able to go and put on my game face. Did a lot of sitting, and a little walking, so it was okay. A few of my friends knew I was looking a little tired, but that's it.

Tonight, I'm feeling bloated. Since I'm a guy, I'm not used to that feeling. It's strange, because I didn't feel this way all afternoon. I'm sure some of it is gas, and maybe I'm full of water. But all in all, it's great. I am very excited to see how things progress, and I'll post again tomorrow.

Also, my incissions look great. I'm going to post them at lapbandtalk under their scar pages sometime tomorrow. It really isn't that bad at all.

Thanks again for all the support. I know I wouldn't have had this procedure without the info I've read on this board in all the posts. Thanks for the prayers and the thoughts today.

Rid,

Wow what a journey! Thank you so much for sharing it all with everyone. I know it is very encouraging to me to know that you were up and even went to an event last night. You're incredible! Can't wait to hear further updates.

Good luck and keep updating!

Becki

Hi, RID:

I got banded on Monday by Dr. Ortiz and feel great today! I was sore like you the next day but each day it does get better. The only real side effect that I have experienced this week was incredible gas yesterday. I thought I was going to explode at one point. I was traveling back from San Diego and it wasn't the most pleasant feeling in the world. You never knew when a round of rumbling would start and I squirmed quite a bit in my plane seat. However, today (4 days post-op) I don't have that problem and feel quite energized. In fact, I am having to remind myself to consume something as I am not hungry at all.

I am still retaining water from either the IVs or flying but am trying to flush that out. I actually weighed more when I got home than when I left. Sigh.

PatU

Hi, RID:

I got banded on Monday by Dr. Ortiz and feel great today! I was sore like you the next day but each day it does get better. The only real side effect that I have experienced this week was incredible gas yesterday. I thought I was going to explode at one point. I was traveling back from San Diego and it wasn't the most pleasant feeling in the world. You never knew when a round of rumbling would start and I squirmed quite a bit in my plane seat. However, today (4 days post-op) I don't have that problem and feel quite energized. In fact, I am having to remind myself to consume something as I am not hungry at all.

I am still retaining water from either the IVs or flying but am trying to flush that out. I actually weighed more when I got home than when I left. Sigh.

PatU

I am right with you on the rumbling. I didn't feel anything at the hospital, then last night before bed I felt really bloated. This morning I woke up and was rumbling LOUD! But I've heard from other people that this is common. I really don't think the Gas-X strips are doing anything for me, so I'll need to find something else. I'm still a little sore today, but still got up and went into the office for a little while. I'm certainly not comfortable, but doing really well.

I am right with you on the rumbling. I didn't feel anything at the hospital, then last night before bed I felt really bloated. This morning I woke up and was rumbling LOUD! But I've heard from other people that this is common. I really don't think the Gas-X strips are doing anything for me, so I'll need to find something else. I'm still a little sore today, but still got up and went into the office for a little while. I'm certainly not comfortable, but doing really well.

That's great to hear! Thankfully, the really bad gas only lasted that one day and I haven't had more rumbling. I'm back at work as well with the belly soreness nearly non-existant. Fortunately, I have a job where the only thing that moves are my fingers on the keyboard and mouse so I don't have to worry about overdoing it. : )

PatU

walk! walking really helps with the gas pains!

Actually, it really didn't help me. I walked and walked, and still felt like my stomach was going to pop. I walked afterwards, I walked all after the surgery and most of the night. And then it wasn't until the second day that I felt all the gas in my stomach. And it wasn't the bad shoulder pain.

Good news is that it is certainly all gone now. My port site is still sore, and I have to move a little slowly. I'm also tired, which could be from the surgery, and could be from the reduced calories. But it is still going really well.

I didn't want to jinx myself by getting on a scale. I figured that I was doing everything right, and if I hadn't lost weight, I didn't want to know. I was going to wait until my post-op appointment with Dr. Waldrep on Thursday of this week before I knew my weight. But I didn't. Weighed myself, and I've lost TEN pounds since my surgery Thursday. So I'm almost down 30 pounds from my start weight already. This is pretty damn cool.

Once you move to full liquids, I have a suggestion. Campbells makes gourmet soups in a box. They have a portabello mushroom that is almost all liquid. They have two tomato soups, one with red peppers, and one with basil and garlic. Haven't tried those yet. But the mushroom was AWESOME. So when you so on full liquids, I highly recommend it.

Rid - Welcome to the world of the Lap-Band. Sometimes walking does help your body shift around that excess gas and sometimes it doesn't. Rocking in a chair sometimes helps too. Don't worry tho, it will go away in a few days time. Juice isn't too bad when you use 1 part juice to 1 part water over ice ... I did that a lot. I also found I liked warm sugar free jello and I also ate it cold. Thanks for the pm's ... I'll try to post a little more, but to be honest ... there is more post-band support on lapbandtalk and as I'm struggling, I find I get more information there. Chelley

Thanks for the post, Chelley.

Holy crap. Just sneezed. OUCH. I would strongly recommend you don't do that when you are a week post-op.

I'm seeing Dr. Waldrep tomorrow. They've called to check on me three times since last week. I'm very impressed. Still doing well, and I'll report more after my appointment tomorrow.

Hi Rid,

Your port site will be sore for a couple of weeks. I really understand why after watching a surgery - they really have to do some manuvering (and some skin stretching) to get the port in place without cutting a larger incision than absolutely necessary! I ended up wearing a bandage over my port site for a couple of weeks because even my shirt brushing against it irritated me... and going without real food for awhile... i was irriated enough hahahaha

Hope all goes smoothly :)

Thanks for all the support! Things are going really well. My port site is doing a lot better. Still not good during a sneeze, but that's to be expected. I can lay on both sides now, and even on my stomach.

I had my post op, and everything is going really well. I'm on a little different diet plan than the Ortiz patients, so I progressed to pureed food on Thursday, and may be on soft food by the end of the weekend, if all goes well.

I find that even if I drink plain water too fast, after a few minutes, I have a pain that lasts about a half hour. Not sure what that's about, but it's making it hard to get all my liquids in. I talked to the doc, and they said that it should be better once I've healed more.

But things are great. I still have lots of head hunger, especially at night and on the weekends. I definitely find that the fuller liquids and pureed foods are helping me stay full longer.

I'm going to post this question under the post-op food, but in trying to get more liquids in, what type of liquid counts between meals? I've been warned not to graze, and I'm trying to find more creative ways to get more liquids in. So what counts a liquids between meals, but doesn't count as grazing?

Anyway, I'll update soon.

BAND FREEZE?

Anyone ever notice that when you drink a smoothie or a really cold bottle of water, you get a kinda painful sensation I can only describe as band freeze?

I figure this might go away after I've healed more, but for now, I really have to be careful of very cold things.

Getting my first fill at three weeks!!

I talked to the office today, and was going to try and schedule my first fill at four weeks. I'm not really feeling restriction, and hoped not to wait as long as everyone has with no restriction and dealing with no weight loss. Once my doc heard about my healing process and how well I'm doing, he scheduled my first fill for this Thursday. I'm really looking forward to it, and hope this will help me continue the pace of my weight loss.

My doc is awesome, and I'm really happy.

Got my first fill on Friday. It is GREAT! Things are going really well. I'm definitely feeling looser clothes, and feeling a lot more energy. Really glad I did this. Can definitely tell a difference with the food after the fill. Having more trouble, and have to eat a lot slower. But I'm really glad.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, things are good! I'm going in for my second fill tomorrow. I got 1cc the first time, so it'll be interesting to see what I get now.

Have had a few PBs, but it's not really that bad. If I don't chew everything up really well, it hurts.

Question for anyone reading this: I notice that I still have restriction. With a properly adjusted band, I know that I will have to eat slowly, and really chew well. But over the last week or so, I don't feel full. Not for long at all. I'm not sure whether I should expect my top pouch to feel full, which means that I would only eat about 1/2 cup of food. Now, I eat a small portion, and have to eat it slow, but I don't feel full.

I'll post what my doc says about this tomorrow.

• 5 months later...
Thanks Rid, I will be interested to hear what your doc says. I am just beginning the second part of this journey, getting fills, so I am very curious what everyone has learned. Hoping to learn from other's experiences/mistakes.

Becki

Does doctor Ortiz use a catheter for the surgery???