Pls Share Tips, Tricks, Avoidances - what do you know?

Hi I'm getting my bank on June (Friday) the 13th :yahoo:

I know there are quite a few of us who have either just had the lap band put in or getting ready too; how about letting us know what you know - tips, tricks, certainly what to avoid, help with post op pain and discomfort.

By reading posts I've heard some good things that I'm using or going to be using such as Phayzine and the great protein shake mix you can get at GNC. I'm especially concerned with the first month post op - I'm sure there's a lot of info you guys can share abouth that.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Suzanna

p.s. I'm still trying to get a picture posted, but I'm having trouble - even using Michelles instructions and using Photobucket any help here would also be appreciated.

Congrats on getting banded! I am awaiting my banding on the 27th of June so I cant answer to many of the questions for you but I can tell you what everyone else has told me and that is to pack light, bring some slide on shoes because you dont want to be bending over. Bring some gas meds for the gas afterwards and maybe some snacks for the plane. Hope that helped some... Good luck on your band!

Congrats on getting banded! I am awaiting my banding on the 27th of June so I cant answer to many of the questions for you but I can tell you what everyone else has told me and that is to pack light, bring some slide on shoes because you dont want to be bending over. Bring some gas meds for the gas afterwards and maybe some snacks for the plane. Hope that helped some... Good luck on your band!

YES DEFINATELY BRING THE GAS PILLS. I DON'T THINK I WOULD HAVE MADE IT WITHOUT MY GAS-X

I STILL HAVE TO USE THEM AND I USE THE CHEWABLE CHERRY FLAVOR THEY ARE WONDERFUL. BUT IT IS A NECESSITY. :wink3:

Wear dresses if at all possible, much more comfortable than trying to wear a waist band on the bloated stomach you will have. Luckily, I had no pain so I didn't need the pain pills. The GAS X didn't really work for me. Walking did!! Just remember, milkshakes can be your friend during the first 21 days when you are starving. Just don't LIVE on them as they are terribly fattening!

Bring buillon cubes with you..they will save you life on the plane ride home!

I just was banded on the 6th. I had gas but did not use any of the pills or strips. I would plan to have loose dresses and shirts because you are bloated for awhile. The hardest thing is the liquid diet. I am trying to stay on the clear liquids for the whole week, but it is difficult. Popsicles are my friend right now. Also, if you like chocolate the EAS chocolate whey protein from Target is delicious when you blend it with ice. I swear it tastes like a chocolate milkshake (this is what I used preop and I lost all of my 5%). Make sure you have a bag with wheels or someone to help with your luggage because bending over and lifting heavy items makes you feel like you are tearing your port away from your stomach. Also, I have found it more comfortable to sit up and sleep rather than lie flat because my stomach does not stretch as much. If there is anything else you want to know, let me know. Also, I used my atm card down there and now I have all these international fees from my bank so try to bring all cash. If you are going to shop I would bring at least 200. - Jamie :)

I just was banded on the 6th. I had gas but did not use any of the pills or strips. I would plan to have loose dresses and shirts because you are bloated for awhile. The hardest thing is the liquid diet. I am trying to stay on the clear liquids for the whole week, but it is difficult. Popsicles are my friend right now. Also, if you like chocolate the EAS chocolate whey protein from Target is delicious when you blend it with ice. I swear it tastes like a chocolate milkshake (this is what I used preop and I lost all of my 5%). Make sure you have a bag with wheels or someone to help with your luggage because bending over and lifting heavy items makes you feel like you are tearing your port away from your stomach. Also, I have found it more comfortable to sit up and sleep rather than lie flat because my stomach does not stretch as much. If there is anything else you want to know, let me know. Also, I used my atm card down there and now I have all these international fees from my bank so try to bring all cash. If you are going to shop I would bring at least 200. - Jamie :)

How many cal, fat, carbs and sugar are in the EAS from Target??? Thanks!

Tips and Tricks huh?

Well I was banded 3 days ago and get better everyday...I have been taking OVOL for gas, it settles the gas during the night so that I can sleep, but the only thing that works during the day, is walking around. I sit, rest, get up and walk. I barely get up and from sitting or laying down and the music starts! LOL!!

For travelling I would recommended packets of broth. I bought the cartons, just easier for me to pour into a cup and microwave.

Like Mona said, loose clothing post-op and for a week or more afterwards. I wear two peice PJs and the waistband is very loose, and I am comfortable.

Good luck, all the best!!

Cathy

I have not yet been banded but I do remember someone suggesting the shaved ice machine at walmart to make sno cones/slushes with crystal light.

Damn, thanks for the reminder! I have to get one of those for sure!