My bout with Salmonella

I understand that the US is having an outbreak of Salmonella Food Poisoning. It hit Cancun too. I am in my second week of fighting this horrible bacteria, and on my second round of antibiotics--spent time in the hospital and now in day 9 in my house. Its moved past my intestine to releasing toxins into my bloodstream, which is causing continued fever, nausea, dizziness, and horrible headaches. Sunlight makes is about a million times worse.

My doctor here told me that having the band changes our metabolism and makes us more open to being hit harder and having a longer recovery. So, just some advice...until this whole thing is under control, be careful of raw foods. I have no idea what I ate that caused this, but am so incredibly frustrated, and well, just tired. Here's hoping 2nd round of antibiotics gets me feeling better soon.

I have never been this sick in my life (and I nearly died as a child)...you don't want anything to do with this bacteria. BE CAREFUL!!

I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to check out my band. With the massive amounts of vomiting that came with the initial infection, better to be safe than sorry. Take Care, guys!

Oh that is horrible! There has been a recall of certain tomatoes here in Canada, my son works at McD's and they are not using them at all either. Apparantly it hit in the US but they are not taking any chances here.

I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the info! That is a good thing to know.

Tomatoes grown in Ga. and FL. have been given the green light so it's a sigh of relief here. I think they are on the verge of finding the source.

I once had a consulting contract with the CDC here in Atlanta. I was doing process improvement for the epidemiologists. It was only 2 or 3 weeks, but it was the most fascinating and fun job ever. Everyone there had been in remote areas of the world tracking outbreaks of whatever disease and finding the source. Everyday we went to a different ethnic restaurant! That's the first time I ever ate chicken feet! :lb12:

Oh that's a terrible thing to have to deal with!! I really hope you get better soon!! All the tomatoes have been taken off the shelves here in S. California...maybe you ate some bad tomoto?? Get well soon!!

Thanks for the info! That is a good thing to know.

Tomatoes grown in Ga. and FL. have been given the green light so it's a sigh of relief here. I think they are on the verge of finding the source.

I once had a consulting contract with the CDC here in Atlanta. I was doing process improvement for the epidemiologists. It was only 2 or 3 weeks, but it was the most fascinating and fun job ever. Everyone there had been in remote areas of the world tracking outbreaks of whatever disease and finding the source. Everyday we went to a different ethnic restaurant! That's the first time I ever ate chicken feet! :lb12:

That's funny, since they're not selling any tomatoes here in Florida! I see signs everyone here "No Tomatoes"

So sorry to hear about your illness. I had no idea about the tomato ban so thanks everyone for speaking out about it. I'm in Canada also. Guess tomatoes are off my list for a while, grrrr.

Cheryl

Well, I've just gotten back from having a COMPLETE unfill. My last fill was nearly 2 years ago, and I've never had a problem...but, this new antibiotic is absolutely brutal and is aggravating my band something awful. I thought he would just take out a little, but he took out all 2.3 CC's and said it has to stay out for the next 2-3 weeks to give my stomach time to heal. The antibiotic is almost worse than the food poisoning! I can already feel a difference though. I have been miserable the last couple of days...my stomach so inflamed that I could actually feel how tight my band was. Already with no fluid, can drink and eat again.

I see on the news that they still don't know where the outbreak of the Salmonella originated. Dern tomatoes are probably from Mexico!

Sorry to hear about your being so sick, hope you are now on the road to recovery and that you recover completely soon. Take it easy and do what the docs order.

Well, I've just gotten back from having a COMPLETE unfill. My last fill was nearly 2 years ago, and I've never had a problem...but, this new antibiotic is absolutely brutal and is aggravating my band something awful. I thought he would just take out a little, but he took out all 2.3 CC's and said it has to stay out for the next 2-3 weeks to give my stomach time to heal. The antibiotic is almost worse than the food poisoning! I can already feel a difference though. I have been miserable the last couple of days...my stomach so inflamed that I could actually feel how tight my band was. Already with no fluid, can drink and eat again.

I see on the news that they still don't know where the outbreak of the Salmonella originated. Dern tomatoes are probably from Mexico!

I sure hope you're feeling better Kris!! ><'