I've got some questions

I am doing some research for LAP-BAND and I came across Dr Ortiz. I am a health care professional and I have a stigma in my mind that this is unsafe, please HELP me to change that. I would love to hear from anyone with their experience with the facilities and your experience as a whole...good or bad.

Thanks Beth

We have a whole section on testimonials. :)

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showforum=13

Do your research. This is a life changing investment that you have to be commited to in order to make it work. Just make sure you make an informed decision. Check out Google and other lap band forums. Everyone spends a period of time researching to make sure it's the right thing for them. :)

Beth, welcome to the forum! I am just wondering what exactly do you mean when you say that you have 'a stigma in my mind that this is unsafe'? Do you mean that lap band in general is unsafe, or going to Tijuana Mexico is unsafe...??

I had some reservations as well when I initially came across Dr. Ortiz's website and saw that the surgery was performed in Mexico. I sent an email requesting information, and I emailed back and forth with one of the patient care coordinators for about 5 weeks before I scheduled my surgery. I also came on here and read testimonials, I researched all my options online, I also looked at other forums. You must do your research so that you are aware of all the pros/cons, risks/benefits etc. You have to know what you are getting yourself into, as any surgery will have possible complications to it and any surgery could be potentially unsafe.

I had surgergery on May 30th and I don't regret it for even a millisecond. It was the best decision I could have ever made for myself. Since surgery, I have lost 9 lbs (in less than 2 weeks), and prior to the surgery, on my preop diet I lost 16 lbs for a total of 25 lbs. My BMI has dropped from a 32 to a 29. As you can see, its not all unsafe :rolleyes: SO... my point is, there are a LOT of benefits to surgery, and there are also possibilities for complications so you need to do your homework and make sure that you are ready and willing to make a DRASTIC change in the way you eat and think about food. Good luck in whatever decision you make. ><'

I just got my band done on June 3rd. I was very nervous about the whole thing and even thought myself a little crazy. I read so many positive things about Dr.Ortiz, the staff, the hotel, and even the clinic. So I decided to not let fear control me. I did study up on it and him for about two years. Than decided to do it. I just came back Saturday. The whole experience was awsome. I always get sick after surgery and I told the Doc's this (as I always do) and for the first time in my life I did not get sick. They took alot of time to listen to me. The nurses were great and very attentive. I was up within an hour and walking around. This was by far the easiest surgery I have ever had. I am in the hard part now and boy is it hard, liquids for 3 weeks. One of the best things of the trip was the friends I made. There were 5 of us all together and we just clicked. It has been great comparing notes. All I can say is STUDY and know this is what you want. I do not think you could find a better Doc in the states. Best wishes, Dawn

Beth, I was nervous regarding Mexico and their doctors as well. I am an LPN and was worried but let me tell you all was great!! The clinic is cleaner than any hospital I've seen, the staff are friendly and helpful and Dr. Ortiz is a miracle. I went with a fellow LPN and she was able to watch the whole procedure and Dr. Ortiz explained what was going on. I would definetly do it again. By the way do you have any of your personal doctors cell phone numbers?? They really care about their patients. However this is a decision you need to make but we are all here and have at some point had questions and doubts so please read the forum and ask everything. Good luck regardless if you go to OCC. Lora

Beth,

I'm a registered nurse. I have worked in the acute care setting for the last > 6 years and in a surgical setting for the last 4. I have spoken with Dr. Ortiz myself and "drilled" him. He satisfied my every question (from his O.R. surgical practice, his surgical technique, surgical equpiment, post care, etc.). You and I both know that hearing it from the proverbial "horses mouth" --Dr. Ortiz--carries more weight than from others. You won't be disappointed. Talk with the OCC center, get to know them. Investigate the kind of band he uses for yourself. It is an FDA approved band --by the USA--that Dr. Ortiz uses. BTW, a friend of mine who is one of our hospital surgens has asked me about Dr. Ortiz so he could research himself. He has patients in mind that he wants to refer to Dr. Ortiz.

~Dianna~

I am gonna be honest with you. When I first came across the OCC site I thought to myself, "There is no way in Hell I would go to Tijuana to have surgery!" I came on this message board, read the testimonials, called Lori (who is a sweetheart) and booked my plane ticket and surgery the next day. It was the most wonderful experience of my life. Not only did I get to see another part of the world, I also had top notch care from every person I came across during my journey. I would recommend the OCC to anyone.

Good luck with your decision!

Here is a post, 5/30/08, that I did for someone else asking the same kind of question, because I felt the exact same way!! (My mom was totally against it at first )

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago in TJ. My mom went with me and was very hesitant about us going there. When I first told her, she said NO you are not getting it done there. We both did our research on Dr. Ortiz, could not find anything bad or negative about him. But we were still not sure what to expect. I am a bank fraud investigator & my mom works for Sacramento County, and I hate to say it but my mom and myself are "Hotel Snobs" After I had the surgery done and the stay at the Lucerna, my mom stated that she would ONLY recommend TJ to get their surgery done. It was very nice. The people at the hotel, and the hospital are very wonderful. Our waiter's remembered are name each day. I had 2 bellhop men that every time they saw me they made sure that I was feeling ok, asked if they could help me with anything? Service like this is very hard to come by. The food at the Lucerna is wonderful. The chicken broth is sooooo good, I only wish I could have found it where I lived like that. There is also a Starbucks a cross the street if you are coffee drinker. Nothing but good things in TJ, you will be well taken care of. I am even taking my daughter back with me on 7/4/08 when I get my first fill, because I had a great experience and she will love the pool at the hotel! Good luck, don't be nervous, and welcome to bandster land!

PS - Dr. Ortiz is such a hottie with also a personality!

I had my surgery in Tijuana April 8. I come from a family of medical professionals, though I chose a different area of science. The professionalism was as good, if not better, than my local health care facility. The personal touch exceeded my expectations and is superior to the last two times I've had surgery here at my local health care facility. (The doctors in both places are above excellent, but the staff made the difference in TJ).

If I had a choice now to do it differently, I would STILL choose Dr. Ortiz. And I don't think he's a hottie. (I'm a male LOL).

There is not one portion of this experience I regret. There are some natural things (I'm not fond of PBing, but that happens with whomever did the surgery) that come with the program.

How many doctors in the US would give you his own PERSONAL cell phone number to call in case you have a problem, or just need him to answer questions after hours??

I thought the exact same thing...having surgery out of the country was a scarey thought....the only reason I did not have my surgery (2 days ago) in TJ was because my husband absolutely refused to let me. I would have been absolutely okay with it. I had surgery here in Canada for twice the cost.

All of girls and guys on this forum who have been banded in TJ rave about the care, the staff and facilities. The care they receive is top notch.

If the lap band is in your future...Dr. Ortiz and his clinic are highly recommended!!! Best of luck with your decision.

Cathy

Wow Thank You for all your input. I guess I should have been more clear. My worry is not the procedure itself but that it is done in Mexico. Sorry for the confusion. I have been researching the LAP-BAND procedure for about a year now but my insurance does not consider me a canidate, thus putting me in a position to seek other options. I just wanted to know about the facilities and the care received by someone other than an OCC staff member.

Thanks

Your situation is the same as all of us, pretty much.

Insurance did not cover my surgery as well. Neighboring doctors list their fees as $27K and $20K, while the OCC charges only $8K. Dr. Ortiz's facitlity was shown on a past Oprah show as well, a state of the art, comfortable environment that is clean.

Previously, dianna posted that she is a registered nurse. Believe me, if the place were unsanitary or not up to standard in ANY way, she would've mentioned it immediately. So would all of the others including me. If you are still uncomfortable about it, take a quick weekend and go visit the facility. The investment you are making entitles you to that, if for no other reason than to allay any fears.

There were the same concerns in my household, and again, the entire procedure from arrival to departure, including doctors, staff and facility, earn my highest marks.

I've been an RN for 20+ years and thought the OCC was a state of the are facility, better than some here in the US. Yes at first I thought no way would I go to Tijuana but after my friend did it in february and all I heard from her was positives I decided to do it. The Lucerna is a beautiful hotel with a gorgeous pool and they cator to your every need, including delivering chicken broth at 3am if you need it....I did. It's a very busy big city and the area has tons of shopping!!! Do your research though so you feel comfortable but I got alot from this forum. Good Luck

Julie

I had my surgery on 3/27/08 by Dr. Ortiz. He is one of the top if not the top lap band surgeon in the world. My experence there was awesome. I don't have any complantes at all and I would do it all over again in a heart beat. The occ is the cleanest facility that I have ever been to. And I have been to alot being I am a paramedic. All the people from the Dr's, nurses, hotel staff are extreamly nice. You will not be disapointed with your lapband experence from the OCC! If you wouled like to know any thing in more detail please email me brittmarco@yahoo.com