Is it just me or what?

Hello, My name is Kim and I am 37 years old. I am the mother of three and I have struggled with weight all my life. No I wasnt the heaviest in my class but if I didnt watch every bite I had I would be tremendous. I struggled in school trying to keep a healthy 130lbs. I did all the diets. As I got older the same things I did ( starving myself etc.), didnt work. The pounds came on rapidly. I wanted to live a happier life without the focus on food so I just watched what I ate. 30lbs pounds came on quickly. A child later another 30lbs. Worked so hard to get some off after child birth only to gain another 30lbs. I used every diet you can think of. Yes really I did. To most of you you probably think what is the problem shes not as big as I was. It still hurts when you are overweight by 50lbs - 60lbs too. At mt heaviest I was 192lbs. I am 5'4. I jumped into the gym full force again, thinking I can do this on my own. Hooray I lost 25 lbs on my own. I skipped the gym for one week and bam 10lbs came on just like that. NO I didnt indulge on everything near me just didnt work out. I went back to the gym but I have struggled to get any more weight off. I took thyroid test, hormone test, you name it. I am so tired of waking up every morning thinking about my weight. I now weight 175 lbs and really would like to lose 50lbs. My knees hurt my back hurts my shoulders, feet everything. My question is would a Doctor even do a proceedure like the lapband on me? I do not have health problems because of the over weight but the weight just hurts my body. 50-60 lbs might not seem much to you but it is the world to me. I want to play with my children without the moans and groans. Any opinons please help me!!! This isnt something I just thought of on a wim. I have struggled to keep a healthy weight for 25 years. I am tired of it controlling my life. Am I crazy?

Hello, My name is Kim and I am 37 years old. I am the mother of three and I have struggled with weight all my life. No I wasnt the heaviest in my class but if I didnt watch every bite I had I would be tremendous. I struggled in school trying to keep a healthy 130lbs. I did all the diets. As I got older the same things I did ( starving myself etc.), didnt work. The pounds came on rapidly. I wanted to live a happier life without the focus on food so I just watched what I ate. 30lbs pounds came on quickly. A child later another 30lbs. Worked so hard to get some off after child birth only to gain another 30lbs. I used every diet you can think of. Yes really I did. To most of you you probably think what is the problem shes not as big as I was. It still hurts when you are overweight by 50lbs - 60lbs too. At mt heaviest I was 192lbs. I am 5'4. I jumped into the gym full force again, thinking I can do this on my own. Hooray I lost 25 lbs on my own. I skipped the gym for one week and bam 10lbs came on just like that. NO I didnt indulge on everything near me just didnt work out. I went back to the gym but I have struggled to get any more weight off. I took thyroid test, hormone test, you name it. I am so tired of waking up every morning thinking about my weight. I now weight 175 lbs and really would like to lose 50lbs. My knees hurt my back hurts my shoulders, feet everything. My question is would a Doctor even do a proceedure like the lapband on me? I do not have health problems because of the over weight but the weight just hurts my body. 50-60 lbs might not seem much to you but it is the world to me. I want to play with my children without the moans and groans. Any opinons please help me!!! This isnt something I just thought of on a wim. I have struggled to keep a healthy weight for 25 years. I am tired of it controlling my life. Am I crazy?

Hi Kim,

you are not alone and not crazy! the factthat you ache is reason enough to get help. My story almost mimics yours except I was not successful during highschool in maintaining my weight. after my 6th kid and quitting smoking I put on another 50+ and became a whopping 283 at highest... I am the same height as you. Read here, see if it fits you, call the center and ask your questions, you will get the help you need!

btw, welcome! ><'

You are not alone. I think if you've struggled for years as I did too then you deserve to check out the lap band. I got mine 9 days ago from Dr. Ortiz after months of researching. They are great at the OCC and will spend the time talking with you if you just take the first step and call. You won't regret it. Good luck

Try THIS doctor, and THIS system. What is important to them is that you are READY to make a change in YOUR life.

Talk to them. Your story echoes so many I've read on here. Sparetire, who is a cutie, is right. We are ALL here for the same reasons, and support each other immensely. Welcome, and know that there are many people who read these postings every day who have walked in your shoes. We will walk with you.

I am so afraid they will say I am not heavy enough and just brush me away. Thats what happen in NY where I live. They thought I was already a patient and looked at me odd when I was there for a consult.

They will not turn you away here. You have a history of struggling with your weight. This is what they will look at. I think Dr Ortiz's book also talks about this a bit, once a person has the fat cells, while they may lose weight, they will never lose the actual fat cells. hence the tendency to gain excess weight with every diet or weight loss technique that does not allow for permanency. That is the beauty of this, the lapband is a lifelong change, but also a lifelong friend.

Call the number and talk to Lori. She will help you make your decision. Good luck!!

Kim, I registered on this forum just so I could respond to your post. I usually only read other's comments but I could tell that you were suffering in the same manner that I had been and I knew that I could give you the hope that you need. I was banded on May 29th at OCC by Dr. Ortiz. I weighed 170 lbs on that day and am a little over 5'5" tall. This was not my highest weight. I lost 50 lbs about a year and a half ago, but like all the other times that I had lost the weight was returning. I was within 10 lbs of regaining it all! I did the preop diet and had lost 8 lbs before arriving at the clinic for the banding. I was that serious about following the regime. I didn't realize at the time that I didn't actually have to follow the liquid preop diet. I too, was afraid that they would say that I didn't need the surgery. I want you to know that I was treated just like everyone else. I was relieved that I didn't have to wait until I had regained all the weight and then some to qualify for the surgery. They were very understanding of my delima. I didn't have all the health risks of many of the members of this forum but I did carry most of my weight around the middle of my body which put me at risk for heart disease.

I was afraid that this option/intervention may not work for me if I didn't have a 100 or more pounds to lose, but I'm here to tell you that I have followed the directions to the letter and I have lost 10 lbs and 2 inches around my waist in the 2 weeks since surgery. My BMI was not 30 on the day of surgery and no one turned me away. Even just 10 lbs less has made a world of difference in how I feel.

While I may not have as big a challenge as other members of this forum, I am just as grateful for the opportunity that the OCC and Dr. Ortiz have given me. I was able to lose weight in the past but I have never been able to keep it off long term. I am sure that I will be able to find some stability in my weight and health with the lap band.

Please don't hesitate to contact Lori or Carolyn, they were very supportive as was all the OCC staff. I am going to return to Tijuana for my fills as I feel a little embarrassed going to a fill center in the States. I don't want anyone to tell me that I shouldn't have done this, it has changed my life. Whether it's 50 or 100 lbs you want to lose the feelings are the same.

Wishing you the best of luck!