Pills, Peanut Butter, Milk?

For you veterans out there I have some questions..... After we are on solid foods will we forever have to crush up pills to take them? Or is it okay to swallow pills whole? When is peanut butter okay? In the creamy food stage or solid? And when is milk okay? I am 7 days post-op and wondering when I can have these? Thanks for the help. Jamie :)

Jamie,

I would wait until you can have solids before attempting peanut butter. Also I only crushed my pills until I started eating solid food, have had no problems with taking regular medications now. Milk is a liquid, so you should be fine to have that now, just watch for constipation!

I am three days post op and don't crush pills at all...the pain meds are tiny, the biotin is tiny, I chew my chewable vitamins and I have taken ES Tylenol capsules...no problem at all.

I start on skim milk tommorrow as part of my non-clear liquid diet. I am afraid of peanut butter, especially because we cannot drink while we eat. It's gonna stick big time...if you can't live with it...wait until your solid food diet stage to try and let me know how it goes, okay?

Best of luck, Cathy

The rule of thumb for the full liquid stage is that you can have anything that will go through a straw. By this guideline, milk is fine but peanut butter is not. Once you're on solids you'll learn best by trial and error as each person is a bit different on what works and what doesn't. I only ever once had a problem with pills and in fact just took two large vitamin tablets.

I crushed my pills until I could have solid foods. Now I swallow everything whole... and I take some pretty big pills.

I haven't had a fill yet though, so I don't know what it's like after a fill.