Surgery Glue

Okay, so I'm looking at my belly and my port site is getting red and angry looking. Yup, now it's getting sore but that may be far too many hours sitting at the computer putting pressure on it. Dunno. The glue is also looking "dirty" for lack of a better term, perhaps old and discoloured would be better. How soon can we get rid of it or can we even? Is it just a natural process? Frankly, the site looks unclean and it's bothering my obsessive compulsive side. I can't discern any stitching so I can't help but wonder if it's the glue that's keeping it together?

Obsessive compulsive inquiring minds wanna know!

I'm terribly OCD, and I peeled mine off after about a week. I couldn't take it anymore.

It started out just getting off all those "jagged edges"... and next thing I knew, they were gone. No infections, no problems healing.

Okay, so I'm looking at my belly and my port site is getting red and angry looking. Yup, now it's getting sore but that may be far too many hours sitting at the computer putting pressure on it. Dunno. The glue is also looking "dirty" for lack of a better term, perhaps old and discoloured would be better. How soon can we get rid of it or can we even? Is it just a natural process? Frankly, the site looks unclean and it's bothering my obsessive compulsive side. I can't discern any stitching so I can't help but wonder if it's the glue that's keeping it together?

Obsessive compulsive inquiring minds wanna know!

Have you been allowed to shower since your surgery? If so, a nice warm shower might help.

I have stitches covered in tape and gauze pads. I showered today for the first time since sx and no redness around the incisions, which is good. Dried them off and put the gauze back on for a few more days, per dr's instructions.

My port site is hurting alot right now too....I think you are right...too much computer.

If the redness around the incision is warm, I would go to the doctor...you don't want to risk infection.

Take care and let us know okay!

Cathy

Gosh Yorkimommie you are so informative....LOL and very nice to add all the links for the questions. Anyway about the glue. No it's not holding anything together, it's a type of adhesive dressing that just covers your incision. The stitches are on the inside and dissolve. My glue is looking pretty gross or as you put it warn and tired. My incision is a little red but only hurts if I push on it....so I don't !!!!Anyway I remember Dr. someone saying to try and just let it come offf on it's own..it's driving me nuts too and I have been picking at it a little the last few days. It should stay on 2-3 weeks to do it's job of keeping your would clean and free from infection until it's healed enough to be open. I like the idea of the Mederma I completely forgot about that stuff, I'm going to buy some tomorrow. Hope this helps but as others said if it is warm to the touch or at all oozing be sure to see a doctor. I also think the antiobiotic cream can't hurt as a preventative at this point since the glue is starting to come off. Good luck!!

Guest cedartown

I peeled all mine off on day 6 & started applying neosporin.It's day 18 & i have to look close to even see the big port incision now.The rest are gone.

Have you been allowed to shower since your surgery? If so, a nice warm shower might help.

I have stitches covered in tape and gauze pads. I showered today for the first time since sx and no redness around the incisions, which is good. Dried them off and put the gauze back on for a few more days, per dr's instructions.

My port site is hurting alot right now too....I think you are right...too much computer.

If the redness around the incision is warm, I would go to the doctor...you don't want to risk infection.

Take care and let us know okay!

Cathy

Thanks all for the excellent responses! I just feel really unclean on my stitch sites. Yup, Cathy, have showered like twice a day (morning and before bed) since I got home. Dr. O. does glue not gauze but it's cracking and looks dirty. I gently cleaned the surface of the glue because frankly I didn't know whether he stitched or glued me back up and I didn't want to take a chance just in case! (Talk about a busy head, eh? Oh well, better than daydreaming about food)

There's no signs of stitching at all. It's angry on one side, red and raised but the other side is flat and looks like it's healing nicely. It's probably much adieu about nothing. Maybe I'll get some polysporin or something presuming the glue is permeable.

Doctors around here are a nightmare. Our health care is in tatters thanks to our last premier. My family doctor -- ahem -- had an affair with a patient and continued to treat her husband and their children. Somehow he got caught and they suspended his medical licence. Funny thing was when I went for my appointment with him for HBP there was a sign on the door saying that he had decided to take a sabbatical for a year and spend time with his young family. Next day I read in the paper he got busted and shut down!

Walk in clinics are a guaranteed (believe it or not) four to seven hour wait and service is horrible at best! The paramedics here are treating people in ambulances and on gurneys in the hallways of the hospitals because of staff and bed shortages. People are actually sleeping in emergency room hallways on gurneys for three, four days! Those that go into emergency and a triaged are in for a full 24 hour wait depending on their issues. Short of losing a limb we tend to avoid the entire system.

I'll just keep an eye on it and have hubby take a boo now and again. Like I said, probably nothing but I did have to ask. The glue is really creeping me out. hehe.

I've also heard of people taking pics of their incisions and e-mailing them to Dr. Oritz to make sure he thinks they are okay. If it were me, I'd probably wait a few days, watch it and if it doesn't clear up head to a local doc. :)

I don't like the way mine is crackling/peeling either but I'm afraid to pick at it.